Author Topic: My Taihao spacebar almost ruined my keyboard....  (Read 6407 times)

Offline trenzterra

My Taihao spacebar almost ruined my keyboard....
« on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 06:35:19 »
Wow. I was removing my Taihao spacebar earlier today on my Ducky One keyboard, using a puller to remove the key from the Cherry stabiliser on each side. Then I used the puller to pull the spacebar from the switch itself... and the whole stem came off, stuck with the spacebar.

I panicked for a while but managed to fit the stem back in. I tried again with the same spacebar, and each time when I try removing the spacebar, the stem comes off! I tried 3-4 times until I finally gave up. The stem now is a little fatigued (even though I managed to get it back in each time) and the OCD raging inside me just wants to sell the keyboard away and get another one (even though the spacebar feels perfectly fine).

The default spacebar works just fine -- it comes out relatively easy and my stem is unscathed. I tried putting other Taihao keycaps into the spacebar switch, and they too came off just fine.

Is anyone using Taihao keycaps at the moment? Is the spacebar supposed to come off easily?

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
Re: My Taihao spacebar almost ruined my keyboard....
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 06:55:23 »
What switches do you have?

My friend's ducky one tkl white's blue stem got removed when he was replacing his original keycaps with taihao haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 9fiftyfive

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:07:14 »
Mine comes off family easy, but I have a different way of taking it off. I pop off the caps next to it (alt) and use my fingers to push up and lift on the spacebar

Offline trenzterra

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:18:13 »
Mine comes off family easy, but I have a different way of taking it off. I pop off the caps next to it (alt) and use my fingers to push up and lift on the spacebar

Red. I have another Ducky Shine 5 with Cherry Linear White RGB switches (which I am intending to sell away), but the Taihao spacebar works fine with it..

So I'm not sure if my Ducky is at fault, the spacebar is at fault, or a combination of both?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:18:45 »

^
REΛLFORCE

Offline 9fiftyfive

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:19:20 »

Red. I have another Ducky Shine 5 with Cherry Linear White RGB switches (which I am intending to sell away), but the Taihao spacebar works fine with it..

So I'm not sure if my Ducky is at fault, the spacebar is at fault, or a combination of both?
For reference, I'm using a WASD Barebones V2 (so basically a Pok3r) with MX Blues

Offline trenzterra

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:27:48 »

That's what I did the second time round. I made sure all the stabilisers were unhooked, then gently pried the spacebar out of the switch. But the stem follows all the time.

With the default ducky spacebars removing it is quite a painless affair.

Offline 9fiftyfive

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:38:07 »

That's what I did the second time round. I made sure all the stabilisers were unhooked, then gently pried the spacebar out of the switch. But the stem follows all the time.

With the default ducky spacebars removing it is quite a painless affair.
Hmm... I'm not sure what to say then, but I think it's the Tai Hao key set.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:41:36 »
I wouldn't trust that switch after pulling the stem out like that.

Offline trenzterra

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 09:35:01 »
Ok, after more experimenting, I realise if I remove the key from sideways instead of applying even force on the left and right of the spacebar, I am able to remove the key with the stem still intact. Maybe that could be a better way to remove a spacebar.

On a side note: http://wiki.geekhack.org/images/d/d2/Cherry_MX_Sliders_Side_Profile.jpg

Having the little 'hook' on the stem broken off seems to make no difference on the red switch. It still actuates exactly the same.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 16:49:22 »
Yes, you have to wobble the keycaps left and right when taking them off to prevent the stem from popping out.
Lesson learned I guess :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 19:53:59 »
I wriggle all of my keys around when removing keycaps - haven't had a slider pop out yet.

Space bar I also remove the Alt keys and then use two fingers to tease the space bar up.

Switches can be replaced - there are a few members who can solder a new switch for you if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dantan

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 07:14:42 »
always had good experience with Tai Hao. It's the OEM profile I don't like, not the fact that Tai Hao is cheap.

I think the stem is an issue? Blue switch have a kind of hook or bump that makes them more difficult to remove.

Offline Urbi

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 11:30:49 »
Thanks for the warning.

Offline buckyballs

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 21:29:27 »
Thanks for the warning.

was just looking for a set of keycaps and I saw this!

Offline seville57

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 12:54:14 »
Wow. I was removing my Taihao spacebar earlier today on my Ducky One keyboard, using a puller to remove the key from the Cherry stabiliser on each side. Then I used the puller to pull the spacebar from the switch itself... and the whole stem came off, stuck with the spacebar.

I panicked for a while but managed to fit the stem back in. I tried again with the same spacebar, and each time when I try removing the spacebar, the stem comes off! I tried 3-4 times until I finally gave up. The stem now is a little fatigued (even though I managed to get it back in each time) and the OCD raging inside me just wants to sell the keyboard away and get another one (even though the spacebar feels perfectly fine).

The default spacebar works just fine -- it comes out relatively easy and my stem is unscathed. I tried putting other Taihao keycaps into the spacebar switch, and they too came off just fine.

Is anyone using Taihao keycaps at the moment? Is the spacebar supposed to come off easily?

I have the Tai - Hao Miami set on my Ducky One RGB YOTG and no problems when removing the spacebar.

Offline xZ3ROx

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 09:34:33 »
On my Miami keyset, the space bar is always difficult to take off. To the point that it's pulled the stabs out on either side.

Offline Pdub

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 09:58:23 »
many stems have different sizes, so you have to be careful with some sets when they fit too tight.