Author Topic: Times have certainly changed.  (Read 2871 times)

Offline lucidinertia

Times have certainly changed.
« on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 12:22:36 »
Hi Geekhack!

I haven't been lurking for too terribly long.  I found the forum shortly after I tried a Varmilo wireless keyboard with MX Browns, then another with MX Blues.  Both were returned due to a shoddy BT connection.  I then found the Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 and fell in love again.

I say "again," as I had a mechanical before.  In fact, about 15 years ago when "soft-touch" dome keyboards had gained traction, I went out of my way to find a new/used local computer store that still sold a keyboard with mechanical switches.  They went in the back and dusted off the box of a Northgate Omnikey 102.  With many keyboards transitioning to gray and black at the time, I was turned off by the off-beige color, but the switches felt better than any keyboard I regularly used.  Unfortunately due to many moves and a switch to a wireless and laptop life, I ended up tossing it in the recycle bin.

10 or so years later and a couple months ago, My electrical lines were recently struck by lightning, causing failure of my home theater setup, including computer.  I didn't really need to replace my wireless keyboard, but REALLY wanted to find a mechanical I could use from the couch.  When at home, I prefer a large 4K TV at 8 or 9 feet away as opposed to a monitor close by.  I also have been using a Logitech thumb trackball since the original Trackman in the early to mid 90's.

I went with blue switches.  As for keycaps, I yearn for the multicolor arrangement mimicing the keyboards of yesteryear, so I purchased these.  The front-printed laser etched legends and 1.6mm PBT appealed to me.

This is a lengthy post for a "hello," but I did want to say the community already helped me out a ton with the decision to buy the PBT keycaps.  I lucked out by getting the Filco as it was the only 104-key bluetooth board I could find.  The community here helped me appreciate it a lot more.

I'm looking forward to contributing to Geekhack.

Dan
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 November 2016, 12:30:29 by lucidinertia »

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
Re: Times have certainly changed.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 12:58:08 »
It though it was a great introduction. Its always interesting to see where people are at with this hobby that brings many different people together. Welcome to GH and back to the clack.
Check out our Artisan keys at Primecaps.ca

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 20:09:51 »
Hmm, laser etching, nice. Welcome :)
Chris Schammert

Offline lucidinertia

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 19:05:44 »
++I'll post here as I haven't seen places for a Q&A like what I am about to ask.

I installed my keycap set referenced above to a mixed result.  The 1x1 keys feel nice.  The spacebar has a nice "thunk" to it.  Larger and stabilized keys, however, feel mushy.  I can press down on the corner of the left shift and cause the key to stick.  I suspect there is a loose fit in the white plastic part of the costar stabilizer.

Also keys like backspace, enter, and even tab feel a bit mushy, the same way a key with o-rings feels.  I definitely am looking for a clack sound and feel consistently.

The stabilized + and Enter keys on the numbad feel good.

What part of the key is responsible for the actual bottoming out?  The top of the keycap on the top of the switch?  Any clues how to fix the stability issues and overall feel of these rogue keys?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 19:23:41 »

They have a strange mechanism those cherry mx blue switches. I think what you're describing is the reason a lot of folks at GH/DT/Reddit will desolder and lube them and install some wire to turn them into 'Jailhouse Blues' or desolder and glue the two slider parts together for 'Ghetto Browns'

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38091.0
Chris Schammert

Offline lucidinertia

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 20:02:12 »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I was thinking eventually of converting to "ghetto greens."  I do love the click.  Most of the issue is related to inconsistency with the keycaps themselves and/or stabilizer.

I think it may be a case of "you get what you pay for" with NPKC keycaps.  So far I love the finish and the majority of the non-stabilized keys.  There are a few stabilized keys that are great as well.  A few of them are mushy though.  If I replace the keys without a stabilizer, or just put a 1x1 keycap on the switch, it works exactly as I would like.

I did go through and apply white lithium grease to the stabilizers that were problematic.  This helped slightly, but I still am missing the satisfying "clack" of a full depression.

I may have to post a video to youtube that will help to demonstrate the exact situation.  As it stands right now, I am just a bit confused about exactly why some stabilizers work and some don't.  I am confident I would have the same result regardless of switch type on these specific stabilized keycaps and keys.  I did not have issue with the stock Filco keycaps, as thin and boring as they were.

Offline lucidinertia

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 22:51:03 »
Problem Solved!

The thicker PBT was catching on the bottom of the costar stabilizers.  I used a hobby rat-tail file to whittle down the bottom of each keycap to avoid contact with the stabilizer bar.  After about 15 minutes of sanding, each key is now as buttery smooth as I could ever have hoped for.

In fact, I am now so happy with my board, I am going to post a picture :D

I learned about this little trick from google searching, and guess what ... it led me right back to GeekHack.  Thanks, community!
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 November 2016, 22:52:57 by lucidinertia »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 01:47:09 »
I guess sometimes we have to go through all the variables in order to figure out some simple problems. I'm glad that you have it sorted out :)
Chris Schammert

Offline lucidinertia

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 05:31:37 »
The persuit of perfection is at once frustrating and intoxicating.  I discovered a switch, the tab key, where the mushiness comes from the switch itself.  I lubed some switches to improve the action, but this one is getting worse.

Being the OCD type, I will likely order a new switch to replace it rather than just switching it for an infrequently used switch like Scroll Lock.

Or ... maybe I'll grab a green switch and swap for the spacebar.  Might as well pick up a clear to see how the feel is there...

I feel myself sliding into a bit of a rabbit hole here.

Offline itbesandrodoe

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 08:37:17 »
Welcome to the club! I bet you wish you woulda kept that old board huh? :P

Offline lucidinertia

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 08:53:23 »
Goodbye, warranty sticker.  It was nice to meet you, but I think we both know things weren't going to last.

I ended up swapping two switches.  I likely caused the issue with switches becoming spongy when I tested the new PBT set at the extreme corners.  Regardless, I am getting it dialed in exactly the way I want it.  No regrets.

Another hobby I have is building and flying RC helicopters.  Many of the same tools work well for MK's, so I can see the two hobbies being synergistic.