Author Topic: Question about custom cases  (Read 1227 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
Question about custom cases
« on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 12:41:19 »
I am slowly planning an ortholinear keyboard. Upon returning to my KUL ES-87 that's fully decked out with Ergoclears, after using my Planck with aluminum case, I find that I prefer the feel of the hard plastic KUL ES-87 case.

What plastic is used in the KUL ES-87 and how do I get one cut with a similar feel? I haven't tried acrylic before and I would't mind using it if it's sturdy feeling like this board. The aluminum Planck is great, but can be a bit fatiguing while gaming and bottoming out a lot.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline Findecanor

Re: Question about custom cases
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 21:02:39 »
I wonder if it is really the material of the case that makes most of the difference here.
The inclination of the keyboards can make a big difference in feel, as well as thickness and materials of the keyboards' feet.
Something that can also make quite a difference is the sound: if a keyboard sounds harder then can also appear to be harder than it isn't.

I have never tried a KUL (not available in ISO AFAIK) but most electronics have cases of injection-moulded ABS, with a slight "sandblasted-like" texture.
ABS is an alloy (of Acrylene, Butadiene and polyStyrene) with many different formulations. I have build models and cosplay costumes out of sheet ABS - and that contains a higher amount of butadiene making it softer than most keyboard cases.
Pre-aluminium Apple keyboards and keyboards from Matias were made from polycarbonate, also injection-moulded. It is tougher than most ABS and can be moulded clear. (ABS can not, it would have to be AS or S to be clear).

I built the case for my Phantom out of old plastic ABS keyboards cases, with special solvent-based glues for  plastics so that the parts get "solvent-welded" together.  Somehow I did manage to make it quite hard and very loud compared to my bought keyboards. I think that is part because I made the plate sit quite tight, with supports all over the bottom and not just at the edges but most of all I suspect that the loudness is because I put rubber feet only at the back so as to keep the keyboard as low-profile as possible in the front. The painted front edge where it touches the hard desk is a bit worn.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 November 2016, 21:04:59 by Findecanor »
🍉