Author Topic: 60% aluminium case from Taobao  (Read 4364 times)

Offline ntw

60% aluminium case from Taobao
« on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 11:05:20 »
Received this keyboard from a friend. It is being sold on taobao here. According to the seller, it is CNC'd from 7075-series aluminium.

It is a low-profile case with exposed switch design. The machining is quite precise and the USB hole is accurately machined with a very small give. Mounting holes are also very precise and the case are compatible with Poker, GH60, faceu , bface and other cases with similar mounting. The anodizing quality is surprisingly good on the case with only one tiny blemish area on the inside of the case. The little weight at the back add some heft to the case and gives it a similar feel of heavier higher quality board.

The only thing bad about this board are the screws used to attached the weight. It sits slightly tall on the inside of the case, which touches the PCB and causes other keys to be randomly pressed. However the issue is mitigated with a layer of non-slip mat under the PCB. The non-slip mat also reduces the hollow ping of the case.

-tiny anodizing blemish

Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: 60% aluminium case from Taobao
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 12:28:27 »
neat

i normally don't like low profile boards but this one is pretty good.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 12:42:04 »
for 43$ isnt  bad :D
For the problem with the screw u can just easy replace with smaller one, right?
Do you order directly from taobao? Did u pay tax, fee?

Offline PoisonKing

• RIP wallet

Offline slot demon

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 00:44:28 »
Sadly the price isn't the same, btw what was the price+shipping, for the case from taobao?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 01:54:01 »
I was going to buy this from Aliexpress, yet this review held me back "The item came in USED condition(unsealed) and DAMAGED. Do yourself a favor and buy somewhere else!"

This looks like a perfect case, it's a lot like the Vortex aluminium case

For GMK/Cherry keycaps, I think sharp corners are needed, they synchronize with the sharp keycaps

I don't like the more rounded inner corners of the case, the edge of the main pcb/keyboard cutout, if only they could also carve those edges sharp too, it would become my ideal case, yet, it seems, it can't easily be done due to costs

Anyway, thanks a lot for sharing, I don't know whether it's your awesome photography skills but, your plate/case combo really overcomes the issues I mentioned above, I hate it when the plate has it's own corner rounding, the cutout has it's own corner rounding, then the outside of the case has it's own corner rounding, on your keyboard, these issues are not noticeable
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days