Author Topic: Chicony switch lottery: Who are you?  (Read 3174 times)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Chicony switch lottery: Who are you?
« on: Sat, 23 January 2010, 08:18:32 »
I know I've seen these somewhere before, but what are they?
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 January 2010, 09:18:09 »
They're the round SMKs (as opposed to the Montereys). They're supposed to be very nice switches.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 January 2010, 09:42:53 »
They are pretty nice switches. They have a bit of a hollow pingy sound, like the "Alps for IBM Japan" ones on the PS/2 P70 keyboard (leaf spring buckling?). The feel is somewhat similar, too.

The keycaps are a bit of a pain to clean up (ABS) - I'm now trying dish cleaner after the denture cleaning tabs didn't really remove the remaining dirt. The Chicony folks weren't dumb though - stabilizers on top of the plate. (I haven't bothered to removed the big keys anyway.)

The layout with the big L-shaped Enter key takes a bit getting used to, not so much due to the short Backspace (I'm fine with that) but rather the #/' key that's moved up. Makes typing Engrish a bit slower than usual.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline alpslover

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 January 2010, 11:56:54 »
those are not smk's, they're futabas.  smk's have a different case design.

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 January 2010, 15:49:36 »
I *THINK* that the SMK switches, are what I have, and have a small, square, light blue stem.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 January 2010, 16:25:24 »
Yes, they're known as the SMK Montereys. There were also some SMK switches that looked something like the above.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 January 2010, 16:31:03 »
See this keyboard auction

Note the switch casing is big like an alps/cherry switch and is mounted to the board surface, rather than recessed into the board beneath it.  The ones in the Lasers I've used are very very good tactile/clicky switches, like Blue Cherries but less high pitched.  I haven't pulled my Laser apart to figure out who makes them yet, but I love the switches.

The ones in the OP could be sliders on a rubber dome, or a switch beneath the board it's on.  There must be 2 dozen switches that look like these do.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 January 2010, 16:39:20 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline alpslover

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 January 2010, 21:46:56 »
Quote from: didjamatic;153682
The ones in the Lasers I've used are very very good tactile/clicky switches, like Blue Cherries but less high pitched.  I haven't pulled my Laser apart to figure out who makes them yet, but I love the switches.

they're the round smk click tactiles that others have mentioned.

Offline sandy55

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 07:46:50 »
Dimension of housing are different between ALPS and SMK flavors.  Plus, staggered pins are positioned in reverse.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 07:59:31 »
Quote from: alpslover;153754
they're the round smk click tactiles that others have mentioned.

Thanks!  I really like every SMK switch I've ever tried.

Are the Futabas in the OP riding on a rubber dome beneath the PCB/plate, or is there a mechanical switch under there?

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 08:00:54 »
Quote from: sandy55;153787
Dimension of housing are different between ALPS and SMK flavors.  Plus, staggered pins are positioned in reverse.
Show Image

It's really too bad that switches weren't all standardized on the back end.  It would make modifications much easier.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 08:05:57 »
Not sure but it seems like you could still use the switches, but putting the switches upside down (that is, such that the letter on an attached keycap would be upside down, not such that the stem would face down)

This would offset all the switches by about half a row, but chances are if you're willing to do the work involved with a switch swap you'd be alright with the idea of modding the case to accommodate offsetted switch rows.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 11:19:58 »
Quote from: didjamatic;153790
Are the Futabas in the OP riding on a rubber dome beneath the PCB/plate, or is there a mechanical switch under there?
It's a real mechanical switch of course, see Sandy's post - but don't ask me how exactly it works.

Incidentally, the switches seem to have a V-shaped pinout with three pins. I'm still not sure what the third one does.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 11:59:30 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;153829
It's a real mechanical switch of course, see Sandy's post - but don't ask me how exactly it works.

Incidentally, the switches seem to have a V-shaped pinout with three pins. I'm still not sure what the third one does.

Is it possible they support both normally open and normally closed operation?
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 09:53:16 »
Quote from: kishy;153837
Is it possible they support both normally open and normally closed operation?

Sort of a SPDT switch, you mean? Didn't look like that from my measurements.