Author Topic: Revisiting the artisan's phenomenon: The economy of the boredom.  (Read 7865 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Revisiting the artisan's phenomenon: The economy of the boredom.
« on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 11:22:19 »
It is still incomprehensibly to me, what appears to be a widely and predominant interest in capricious examples of plastic that happen to have a stem underneath to allow them to be affixed on keyboard switches. I do not have any theory on its causes, yet. Is it that we, geekhackers, are a bunch of teens that want color, form and do not care about keyboard functionality, anymore?; or, maybe, we are just a bunch of bored guys and girls that, in the lack of any other interest, take their time and money being traded for the most strange form of obscure art, with no regard for basic Economic laws. Scarcity has reached a new level, now it drives the price of these, otherwise unneeded pieces, sky high. We have reach the point, were basic functionality does not make sense, anymore, it has to be replaced by the epitomes' form of the ugliest face, skull, robot, or whatever new obscene image an Artisan decided a keyboard should be dressed with.

Offline ika

Re: Revisiting the artisan's phenomenon: The economy of the boredom.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 11:31:55 »
ok

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 11:33:46 »
i cant read long sentences like that so i presume youre ****posting

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 11:38:40 »
i cant read long sentences like that so i presume youre ****posting

I can't understand **** like that, I presume you want to tell, nothing.  :p

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 11:38:42 »
It is still incomprehensibly to me, what appears to be a widely and predominant interest in capricious examples of plastic that happen to have a stem underneath to allow them to be affixed on keyboard switches. I do not have any theory on its causes, yet. Is it that we, geekhackers, are a bunch of teens that want color, form and do not care about keyboard functionality, anymore?; or, maybe, we are just a bunch of bored guys and girls that, in the lack of any other interest, take their time and money being traded for the most strange form of obscure art, with no regard for basic Economic laws. Scarcity has reached a new level, now it drives the price of these, otherwise unneeded pieces, sky high. We have reach the point, were basic functionality does not make sense, anymore, it has to be replaced by the epitomes' form of the ugliest face, skull, robot, or whatever new obscene image an Artisan decided a keyboard should be dressed with.

This is coming off super trollish.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 11:40:17 »

It is a sincere way to ask for an explanation of something, otherwise, incomprehensibly.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 11:41:43 »

It is a sincere way to ask for an explanation of something, otherwise, incomprehensibly.

What explanation is needed?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 11:59:34 »
I usually have a hard time comprehending your posts, ideus.

Offline vegs

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:01:48 »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:03:46 »
Every hobby has activities and proclivities that make no sense to others. Most of the things that the mech board community loves mystify me as well, and in my experience there are no explanations that help those things make any sense to me. Trust me, such explanations won't help them make sense to you (the OP) either.

But it doesn't really matter because I figure it is the collective love all those things, bizarre and inexplicable though they may be, that provide an environment fertile enough to make possible the things I happen to love (e.g., custom keycap sets). I'm sure that my nearly fetishistic love for custom keycap sets that pay homage to vintage keycaps from 70's-era computer terminals is as strange and incomprehensible to them as their love for custom keycaps that look like little robot faces is to me.

We're all weird in our own way.

Offline joey

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:11:58 »
I assume you think all other forms of art should also be abandoned?

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:22:01 »
Why do you feel as though artisan keycaps are compromising the functionality of our input peripherals?
It is my opinion that my robot keycap has no inherent contradictory existential implications on the top left most keyboard switch.
A key switch that I might add, does not demand minimum input latency from the user, nor is it a exceptionally common switch to be used in the first place.

I find you sir, to be both shallow and pedantic.

« Last Edit: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:25:20 by Moistgun »

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:26:09 »
xd L0L just a teen here wanting some COOOOLLLOR!! I love artisans they are so RANDOM loll the funny faces n the cute animal ones are A- M -  AZING!! Im just a silly teen though, what kind of mature adult would choose something for form over function xd that would be so dumb (my mom would never do something stupid like that shes amazing)
!!

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:36:25 »
I will give an honest answer as to why I do it.

It's art to me. It's the same way a painter puts color and lines to paper an artisan cap maker takes his imagination and manages to sculpt it within the confines of such a small box. Prices like this can be seen in many forms of art. If you look at painters for example you could pay millions for an original Monet while more modern painters you would be looking in the hundreds to thousands. It's something anyone can do, but so few can do well. It's the exclusivity and artistic presence scene in each individual cap for me. Even the subtle imperfections that make each cap unique. Paintings and pictures aren't "functional", but millions of people are still hanging them on their walls; what weirdos, am I right?

But that's just my two cents. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:39:19 by Fictiouz »
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline Coreda

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:36:53 »
How is it any different from other forms of collecting? There are those that collect stamps, cards, toys, sculptures, art and other such things that can be limited to a core group who finds them interesting enough to consider valuable and desirable. The more something is wanted, limited in number and considered desirable the more people are (potentially) willing to pay for it.

Plus there's the handmade aspect to it. I don't own any artisan caps but it's not hard to appreciate the thought that some put into even just the cap making process. The iterations until something is production ready, seeing the WIPs, being part of an inner circle that gets to share the progress and even shape the development. It's like a miniature form of toy making.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:37:22 »
Something he is mentioning aside from Artisan specifically is the scarcity issue. The whole supply and demand thing in our hobby is getting a bit out of hand.

I mean every time i see a keycap or custom ANYTHING the prices are getting ridiculous. I can afford it now but my concern is how business and other suppliers view us as those obsessed people that would pay anything for keycaps or boards so they can abuse that. Just my two cents because I see we kind of prove them right maybe in the future things will get better idk.  Just don't want to see a let's make less or limit them and just hike up the process cause *** em mentality. Or the old lets hold inventory and see how much we can get them to pay then release what we really have again at that price thing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:42:08 by DuckNorris »

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:48:47 »
Something he is mentioning aside from Artisan specifically is the scarcity issue. The whole supply and demand thing in our hobby is getting a bit out of hand.

I mean every time i see a keycap or custom ANYTHING the prices are getting ridiculous. I can afford it now but my concern is how business and other suppliers view us as those obsessed people that would pay anything for keycaps or boards so they can abuse that. Just my two cents because I see we kind of prove them right maybe in the future things will get better idk.

You have to realize that everything custom in this hobby for the most part is small run being produced by a single shop, designed by a single person for a final limited quantity. That process isn't cheap at all prototypes are expensive, startup costs are expensive, everything is expensive when done in very small quantities its not just this hobby, any custom fabrication is expensive as hell.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:48:55 »
The thread is getting some very enlightening answers, so far. While I still keep some reservations, I could concur with the proclivities trend on most form of collecting activities. The keyboard collectors are not any different, even when our collection items also serve a practical purpose, we, as a community, still are collectors at heard; thus, some things are beyond basic Economics' rational.

For those posting emotional answers, they are also very welcome. They reveal how sensitive is this Artisan's thing for some.

Even for those that cannot understand the post, or found sentences to be long, I should study more "the tip of the iceberg" view on Hemingway's advice. LOL.

Offline zslane

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:54:00 »
Artisan keycaps are more like custom stick-shifter knobs than paintings you put on a wall. There is an intersection of art and utility inherent in an artisan keycap that doesn't occur with other more traditionally passive forms of art. You will have people who think of keycaps purely in utilitarian terms, and find it strange that it would become a vehicle for artistic expression. Consequently, statements like, "Why does anyone like any kind of art?" sort of falls flat. To them it's like, You just type on them, why would anyone want them to look like toys/little bits of art? How do you explain the highly personal value of a artisan keycaps to them? I don't think you really can.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:55:32 »

I mean every time i see a keycap or custom ANYTHING the prices are getting ridiculous. I can afford it now but my concern is how business and other suppliers view us as those obsessed people that would pay anything for keycaps or boards so they can abuse that. Just my two cents because I see we kind of prove them right maybe in the future things will get better idk.

You have to realize that everything custom in this hobby for the most part is small run being produced by a single shop, designed by a single person for a final limited quantity. That process isn't cheap at all prototypes are expensive, startup costs are expensive, everything is expensive when done in very small quantities its not just this hobby, any custom fabrication is expensive as hell.
I know this but I am also targeting the bigger manufacturers people sent the custom sets to as orders that still come out pretty expensive compared to other sets even when they have the same materials etc. I know that something custom will be more expensive than mass produced but still just concerned it can get out of hand and I still argue it can be improved by a lot.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:57:44 »
good **** go౦ԁ **** thats some good**** rightthere rightthere if i do ƽaү so my self i say so thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ Good ****
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:58:35 »
Artisan keycaps are more like custom stick-shifter knobs than paintings you put on a wall. There is an intersection of art and utility inherent in an artisan keycap that doesn't occur with other more traditionally passive forms of art. You will have people who think of keycaps purely in utilitarian terms, and find it strange that it would become a vehicle for artistic expression. Consequently, statements like, "Why does anyone like any kind of art?" sort of falls flat. To them it's like, You just type on them, why would anyone want them to look like toys/little bits of art? How do you explain the highly personal value of a artisan keycaps to them? I don't think you really can.

You make a really good point. I just don't questions peoples preferences much so that is just how I thought of it as it is a form of art. Your comparison feels a lot more accurate but custom stick-shifter knobs just sounds corny.. oh I think I get it now..
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 12:59:30 »
The thread is getting some very enlightening answers, so far. While I still keep some reservations, I could concur with the proclivities trend on most form of collecting activities. The keyboard collectors are not any different, even when our collection items also serve a practical purpose, we, as a community, still are collectors at heard; thus, some things are beyond basic Economics' rational.

For those posting emotional answers, they are also very welcome. They reveal how sensitive is this Artisan's thing for some.

Even for those that cannot understand the post, or found sentences to be long, I should study more "the tip of the iceberg" view on Hemingway's advice. LOL.

I find this part to be something to think about. For example, whenever people spend a ton of money on a car and someone says you could just a regular cheaper car that would do the same I don't see them getting that emotional or mad. These are very attached to their cars sort of people too. I think it is a bit odd to get THIS emotional over artisans and I love keyboards too a lot even but it is like something in them is triggered. Like whenever you buy something you know you shouldn't have but try to justify it when someone points it out. Don't get mad just an observation.

Please don't hurt me I have a model m sitting around somewhere and I will defend myself with it  :mad:
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 November 2016, 13:04:42 by DuckNorris »

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
Revisiting the artisan's phenomenon: The economy of the boredom.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 13:01:19 »
Doesn't help this was written in a condescending way
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 13:05:29 »
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
good **** go౦ԁ ****
Show Image
thats
Show Image
some good
Show Image
Show Image
**** right
Show Image
Show Image
there
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
right
Show Image
there
Show Image
Show Image
if i do ƽaү so my self
Show Image
i say so
Show Image
thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Н O0 ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Good ****

This is the longest sentence so far. Is it condescending? or Is it simple a collection of emoticons about how someone is feeling on the subject?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 13:15:59 »
good **** go౦ԁ **** thats some good**** rightthere rightthere if i do ƽaү so my self i say so thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ Good ****

hahahahaha

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 13:55:26 »

You make a really good point. I just don't questions peoples preferences much so that is just how I thought of it as it is a form of art. Your comparison feels a lot more accurate but custom stick-shifter knobs just sounds corny.. oh I think I get it now..

Functional art is all over a wide variety of niche markets... cell phone cases, beer tap handles, hand-wired music amplifiers, boutique guitar picks, chiptune albums released on NES carts... I'm sure the list goes on! I think I would probably understand why others would collect, even if it weren't in line with my personal interests.

Offline zslane

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 14:00:25 »

Functional art is all over a wide variety of niche markets... cell phone cases, beer tap handles, hand-wired music amplifiers, boutique guitar picks, chiptune albums released on NES carts... I'm sure the list goes on! I think I would probably understand why others would collect, even if it weren't in line with my personal interests.

Some of those things, like smartphone cases, are almost purely fashion accessories. One could argue that artisan keycaps fall into that category, sure.

The others listed are a little different, though, in that there is often a perceived improvement in the object's intended function, whereas I don't think any artisan collector believes that artisan keycaps "work better" for being carved into fun shapes.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 14:02:30 »
Now I have decided I should go the Beige route on all my boards, there is nothing so classy and unique as a custom dress up with a Beige set.

nice thread

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 14:09:18 »

Some of those things, like smartphone cases, are almost purely fashion accessories. One could argue that artisan keycaps fall into that category, sure.

The others listed are a little different, though, in that there is often a perceived improvement in the object's intended function, whereas I don't think any artisan collector believes that artisan keycaps "work better" for being carved into fun shapes.

Agree.

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 14:21:56 »

I believe that bar tap handles and boutique guitar picks would also in most cases not improve functionality, but I could be wrong.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 14:33:48 »

I don't question people's preferences so much either:

As I also have a few affordable artisan caps that should function well as key caps for highlighting and matching the color theme of keyboards - they bring me back to those years that I and my gamer sister still fancied playing with some of the Transformer Toy sets :-[ :-[ :-[
(My favorite is the super cool lime-green and purple "Combiner Wars Titan Class Devastator")
More

However, I also don't get the phenomenon that some of the 'historical' (?) artisan keys are approaching the price of jewelries made of real rare metal and gems and by years-trained craftsmen. Many of them look quite nice but not as fantastic as their price suggested they ought to be.
... with no regard for basic Economic laws. Scarcity has reached a new level, now it drives the price of these, ...
At this point, it reminds me of Andy Warhol and Banksy: what is art, and the price tag of art works.

Sure, undergrads go to college drive Porsche and even fancier cars these days, I've seen quite a few. People have spare money to spend.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 November 2016, 14:46:18 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 14:36:35 »
Ideus, I have a few questions for you. 

What do your observations imply, if anything, about the artwork created by the community? 
Are the answers provided by peoples of geekhack going to alleviate an ignorance of subject matter?  If the answer is yes, please define the subject matter.
Where have you found is the the greatest struggle in building your opinion?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 14:39:18 »
Why do you feel as though artisan keycaps are compromising the functionality of our input peripherals?
It is my opinion that my robot keycap has no inherent contradictory existential implications on the top left most keyboard switch.
A key switch that I might add, does not demand minimum input latency from the user, nor is it a exceptionally common switch to be used in the first place.

Show Image

I concur

Offline zslane

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 14:48:03 »
I believe that bar tap handles and boutique guitar picks would also in most cases not improve functionality, but I could be wrong.

Probably not, but there is often a perceived improvement in the minds of their collectors (which helps to explain why they find special value in them). I used that word very deliberately in my previous post.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 15:11:27 »
I also like some other forms of functional art (AKA 'design'), e.g. smoking pipes.

More

It's difficult to say what is functional, but it is pretty easy to function as a key cap: as long as it doesn't break when fitted on the switch stem, as long as it doesn't fall off, as long as it doesn't have razor-sharp edges to harm the user, as long as its form and size doesn't obstruct typing - it can still be quite big and quite tall when it serves as the Escape key cap. Datamancer's key cap set is one example that does not deliver superb user experience yet we can see its artistic value.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline zslane

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 15:50:28 »
Datamancer's key cap set is one example that does not deliver superb user experience yet we can see its artistic value.

I think that depends on what sort of experience you are looking for from the Datamancer keycaps.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 15:57:18 »

Show Image

I concur

Show Image

Is that who that was supposed to be :))
awesome...

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 16:10:23 »

Show Image

I concur

Show Image

Is that who that was supposed to be :))
awesome...
I feel like it has to be

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 16:29:56 »
Probebly 70 percent of what you spend your money on is pointless and less functional than something else. Those asian girl toys in short skirts, your steam account, kale, the computer that gets a benchmark of ****ing 5000 yet you jusy play csgo and look at anime all day, 5 million thread count sheets. Any car that has more than 4 cylinders. Any car with a body kit, any car with leather seats as an option fitted. Brand name clothes as opposed to unbranded sweatshop jeans. Any car with a turbo thats not a diesel, soccer mums in 4wds which actually have 4wd. That double bed you put your lonley ass in every night. I pads, new i pads, new phones when your old one is still good, expensive internet plans with bulk download when all you do is look at hentai all day. Repainting your walls when you have a child that wont give a **** because all it does is give ****s and eat food. Going out to dinner, going out to the movies......

Oh wait people do this **** because they like it and it pleases them even if only for a few seconds (hentai). And cost is up there because they are not mass produced. For example, if i make 300 million wrx sti's in the united states, with no ability to export. Everyone would be driving wrx sti's as i would be selling them ****ing cheap to clear the stock. But if i make 10 and only ten for the merrican market than they are going to sell for much money as there are only ten, there is a massive fan base and there will be ten people will ing to overpay.

tl;dr  reported for spam

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 16:30:02 »
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
good **** go౦ԁ ****
Show Image
thats
Show Image
some good
Show Image
Show Image
**** right
Show Image
Show Image
there
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
right
Show Image
there
Show Image
Show Image
if i do ƽaү so my self
Show Image
i say so
Show Image
thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Н O0 ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Good ****

This is the longest sentence so far. Is it condescending? or Is it simple a collection of emoticons about how someone is feeling on the subject?

ROFL. It's just a meme making fun of emoji spamming teenagers, those sort of copy pastas are everywhere as of late, and it was actually really funny to me in this particular context.

As for why I buy (arguably overpriced) artisans, my job is not exactly time consuming for the better part and pays a fair bit more than I need it to - my other money sink hobbies (audio gear, bonsai, being married) aren't really about small dinky purchases, artisans are something I can just look for when I'm bored at home, if I see one that I think is cute I buy it/enter the raffle(s).

Plus, some of the craftsmanship that is put into it is incredible and I like to support people that are skilled enough to do cool **** (I've never been good with handy work). Would I still buy in as much it if I were much busier than I am? Definitely not, but if as I'm not if I'm not buying artisans I'd just be buying other eye candy (headphone cables, fancy bonsai trimming gear, clothes, anything) so all in all it'd be practically the same.

It's bling. People like shiny stuffs.

Offline zslane

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 16:39:29 »
It is surely a sign that I am getting older that I spend less and less on frivolous stuff that has little to no purpose. Even my recent keyboard-related binges are all part of the ever-elusive end-game keyboard quest, after which I'll sell off the extras and only keep the ones I will use every day (like this Varmilo w/ Round 4 SPH...it gets heavy use and serves two purposes: to enter text into coding editors and to keep my heart pressure low and endorphin levels high due to the pleasure the aesthetics provide).

Smartphones aren't a luxury in the US. I had the same iPhone for seven years. I've had the same iPad for nearly five. I tend to buy good stuff that lasts and which serves a vital day-to-day function. I tend not to buy stuff impulsively, or to satisfy a momentary whim/craving.

But that wasn't always the case. I was a 20-something once too, after all...

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 18:06:02 »
Smartphones aren't a luxury in the US. I had the same iPhone for seven years. I've had the same iPad for nearly five. I tend to buy good stuff that lasts and which serves a vital day-to-day function. I tend not to buy stuff impulsively, or to satisfy a momentary whim/craving.

I would classify that as looking after your stuff, I would guess more than half of people who initially had the same iphone as yours have broken them before replacing within a few years. Example, my wife and I got the exact same phone at the exact same time. We both got Lifeproof cases and this was a year ago. Differences in phones, hers has a shattered back, is no longer in its case and said case is missing vital parts anyway. Mine, perfect condition, still in its case and functions like new and I would say my job is more physical than hers also just to factor that in.

Difference I look after my ****, she destroys ****.

Offline keykaiser

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 18:26:23 »
MAGA.

Sell me Click Clacks at cost.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 08:12:33 »
This could have been worded so much more eloquently, to not be so condescending (calling people's behaviors that of a teenager, and calling people bored? really?).

I think you are getting at the question "why are these keycaps everywhere?" I think it is because there is an audience here and other communities that appreciate it. While I don't personally plan on purchasing any more artisan keycaps (key word, plan :)) ), I can appreciate the dedication that goes into the art. More makers to satisfy the increasing number of buyers is just an effect of the invisible hand, whether the artisans are "bad" or "good", however you define that, it balances things out. I'd definitely make the argument that artisan keycaps drive a lot of this website's traffic, but there is more to do around here than just look/research keycaps!

You don't have to like everything you see here, you know. That's what makes the world go 'round. Most artisan keycaps are quite functional as well, you should give it a try sometime!
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2016, 08:14:41 by jerue »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 10:40:30 »

Apologies to those that felt offended by the post. After all, I may be too old, too standard boring, for joining such a club. My rudimentary interest in keyboards as input devices only, prevents me to explore the fantastic world of robots, animals, monsters that populate the Antisan's world. From now on, I will respectfully observe the Artisan's phenomenon within the keyboard community as an important part of what drives the interest of some, or maybe most?.

Collecting hobbies exist within the boundaries of their own and private economic bubble, their demand and supply occur within special constraints and are self rewarding and self feeding. It is very true, that outsiders will never understand its private logic. Even more, Artisan's is a bubble within a bubble, I may be just in the surface of the first one; thus, I may be a sort of outsider in disguise.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 11:12:30 »
Probebly 70 percent of what you spend your money on is pointless and less functional than something else. Those asian girl toys in short skirts, your steam account, kale, the computer that gets a benchmark of ****ing 5000 yet you jusy play csgo and look at anime all day, 5 million thread count sheets. Any car that has more than 4 cylinders. Any car with a body kit, any car with leather seats as an option fitted. Brand name clothes as opposed to unbranded sweatshop jeans. Any car with a turbo thats not a diesel, soccer mums in 4wds which actually have 4wd. That double bed you put your lonley ass in every night. I pads, new i pads, new phones when your old one is still good, expensive internet plans with bulk download when all you do is look at hentai all day. Repainting your walls when you have a child that wont give a **** because all it does is give ****s and eat food. Going out to dinner, going out to the movies......

Oh wait people do this **** because they like it and it pleases them even if only for a few seconds (hentai). And cost is up there because they are not mass produced. For example, if i make 300 million wrx sti's in the united states, with no ability to export. Everyone would be driving wrx sti's as i would be selling them ****ing cheap to clear the stock. But if i make 10 and only ten for the merrican market than they are going to sell for much money as there are only ten, there is a massive fan base and there will be ten people will ing to overpay.

tl;dr  reported for spam

Is there some sort of rampant hentai addiction that goes on here on Geekhack or something that I should know about? Should I buy some disinfectants etc and gloves so I can clean any keycaps or boards I may buy from here in the future? I am concerned (☞ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)☞
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2016, 11:14:10 by DuckNorris »

Offline joey

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 11:13:55 »

After all, I may be too old
So.. how old are you?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 11:27:46 »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 11:35:07 »

tl;dr  reported for spam

Is there some sort of rampant hentai addiction that goes on here on Geekhack or something that I should know about? Should I buy some disinfectants etc and gloves so I can clean any keycaps or boards I may buy from here in the future? I am concerned (☞ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)☞

You probably don't have access to the Hentai topic yet, lets just say all the major players do most of their posting in that area of gh.