Author Topic: GMK Retro on Massdrop  (Read 3699 times)

Offline KHAANNN

GMK Retro on Massdrop
« on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 09:17:46 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-retro-keycap-set

I was waiting for this set, ever since I saw the colors reproduced on GMK's Color Palette/Photos

Really wish a 1.25 Cmd or 1.25 Blank was included tho

Still, an awesome set, if there are any OSX users around, maybe we can do our own small GB for a 1.25 Cmd

Edit: It seems there are no renders for the Base Kit yet, I wonder what extras are included in the base kit, as far as I see, there is no indication of bumped F/J's either
Edit 2: It seems, unlike the original run, this time, all base keycaps are side printed
Edit 3: Back story: http://matt3o.com/retro-goes-gmk/
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2016, 09:50:09 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: GMK Retro on Massdrop
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 09:23:04 »
Saw the teasers yesterday; did not think it would be up this soon.
Gotta sell some stuff as I simply cannot miss this.

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 09:25:00 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-retro-keycap-set

I was waiting for this set, ever since I saw the colors reproduced on GMK's Color Palette/Photos

Really wish a 1.25 Cmd or 1.25 Blank was included tho

Still, an awesome set, if there are any OSX users around, maybe we can do our own small GB for a 1.25 Cmd

Edit: It seems there are no renders for the Base Kit yet, I wonder what extras are included in the base kit, as far as I see, there is no indication of bumped F/J's either
Edit 2: It seems, unlike the original run, this time, all base keycaps are side printed
I was second who jumped in this drop, you was first? ))))

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 09:33:41 »
Damnit, why are people excited?  I'd say this is straight up heresy.  They look so boring and cheap as GMK cylindricals to me. 

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 09:34:01 »
I really wish the set had an IC period, tho, I do understand the reasoning behind not having one, It's not easy to deal with an excessive amount of feedback, especially negative ones

However, I really wish the flexibility of this set was in more of a neutral direction

As it is, there is no OSX love, no bumped F/J's, no non-side-printed alphas, yet, there are two R4 Shift-Lock's

With experience from the first Retro drop, I would go with a simplistic, singular, true retro option with this drop, but, as it is, it doesn't cover any of my usage scenarios

Still, buying only the True Retro + Pro Retro modifiers is an interesting option
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 15:08:29 »
So is the text going to be in cherry font like the renders or centered like the Massdrop ordering mockups?
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 15:13:47 »
So is the text going to be in cherry font like the renders or centered like the Massdrop ordering mockups?

That's definitely confusing. Looks like the layout renders are taken from the CtrlAlt run of SA: https://ctrlalt.io/buys/sa-retro. The GMK set will probably be off-center.

Offline zslane

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 15:41:14 »
Damnit, why are people excited?  I'd say this is straight up heresy.  They look so boring and cheap as GMK cylindricals to me.

Because it is the colorway (and maybe the front-printed PETSCII) they like, not any similarity to the original spherical keycap profile. Fans of the overall aesthetic went with SA, and most of them are on DT, not here.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 15:51:01 »
I think I am going to get the burgundy mod pack and that's about it.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 21:04:03 »

I think the original DSA Retro looked the best, but I had it at some point, and while I absolutely loved the looks, I didn't end up liking the profile as much as I had hoped.  It was better on some keyboards than others (particularly taller custom keyboards are better suited to DSA than low profile ones like Filco or CM QFR).  The SA version also looked cool, but I can't handle using the SA profile at all--I've tried to like it. 

I'm personally very excited about the GMK version because their caps feel perfect in terms of profile.  I still prefer old worn out and glossy vintage GMK/Cherry doubleshot sets, but I'm breaking in my GMK Cyan, and it's feeling better and better with time.  I think that's why the excitement about the GMK version--lots of people love the set colorway but also prefer the thickness and the profile/feel of the GMK/Cherry caps.  (And side print by default is cool).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 21:30:08 »

I think the original DSA Retro looked the best, but I had it at some point, and while I absolutely loved the looks, I didn't end up liking the profile as much as I had hoped.  It was better on some keyboards than others (particularly taller custom keyboards are better suited to DSA than low profile ones like Filco or CM QFR).  The SA version also looked cool, but I can't handle using the SA profile at all--I've tried to like it. 

I'm personally very excited about the GMK version because their caps feel perfect in terms of profile.  I still prefer old worn out and glossy vintage GMK/Cherry doubleshot sets, but I'm breaking in my GMK Cyan, and it's feeling better and better with time.  I think that's why the excitement about the GMK version--lots of people love the set colorway but also prefer the thickness and the profile/feel of the GMK/Cherry caps.  (And side print by default is cool).

Good to see you around Pho :)

As much as I like the GMK version my benchmark is still with the DSA in terms of colorway. Retro is the first set of my dream but than the profile of DSA really disappoint me. Also my hand couldn't cope with SA as well.

Ergo Clear Retro QFR by Hanshen, on Flickr

Seeing much hype for the GMK version, I am kind of disappointed with the color combo ; for example the F-Row  for the burgundy is different from the DSA version (which I prefer more). And most of all I would love to see such beautiful set to cover more layouts like proper 1800 and HHKB style. However I also know that price and MOQ is a major factor in this.

Nevertheless, still a beautiful set and will be hard not to throw your wallet on!
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 22:02:32 »
I feel the same way in that DSA probably makes the set looks best, but it's DSA. SA is closest to the original caps, but I can't stand the SA profile; I had the SA Retro Burgundy set and just couldn't do it.
Like many others, GMK/Cherry is my favorite profile, so I finally have a reason to get a Retro set I'll keep, even if I think Cherry is not the best profile for this set.

Offline zslane

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 02:16:58 »
I am mystified by this difficulty with typing on certain keycap families. After all, adaptation is one of the preeminent traits of our species, especially when it comes to highly repetitive motor skills.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 03:09:21 »
I'm pretty sure GMK Retro will be the best, like most of you, I also skipped on SA as it's hard to type on

Just look at the render on the header: http://matt3o.com/retro-goes-gmk/ - pure perfection - yet, the beauty of GMK shows when it's worn, and for me, side prints ruin that experience

I mean, around a year+ in planning, and the set launched with SA renders and SA keycap selections, it's apparent this entire year wasn't spent planning GMK Retro, even compared to some recent sets, the selections are heavily lacking, I really hoped we would see an exemplary launch and planning, yet, I don't think this is the case

I mean, consider just the base alphas, with 150MOQ, it's pretty much guaranteed that both side-printed and regular alphas would've made it, yet, we only have the PETSCII option, and even with that set, now that almost every set is including bumped F/J's, this set chooses to ignore the needs of us

I know the set will be a success, I just hope it re-runs with better planning and more inclusion

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 09:01:39 »
I am mystified by this difficulty with typing on certain keycap families. After all, adaptation is one of the preeminent traits of our species, especially when it comes to highly repetitive motor skills.

I think its partially due to how people type.  I see so many people who rest their hands on the desk and I can imagine SA would be a chore of that was the case.  I mean... there are people who actually press the control key with the side of their palm. 

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 09:17:26 »

I think its partially due to how people type.  I see so many people who rest their hands on the desk and I can imagine SA would be a chore of that was the case.  I mean... there are people who actually press the control key with the side of their palm.

My desk is too tall, and there's nothing I can do about it now--it's part of my extensive shelving unit that's customized and fully in use.  Even with a relatively tall office chair, I can't handle having to type on tall keyboards.  I've tried wrist rests of various kinds (wood and cushioned leather), and neither really help. 

I'm mystified why "someone" would think that people can't have favorites they prefer to use.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 09:24:33 »
Ergonomic discussions always set me off around here. So many people just assume that everyone's the same and that if it worked for them, by golly it must be some kind of universal law!  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've been waiting for Retro in a usable profile for a long time so I'm super stoked. Now I just have to see if my willpower will hold out or I end up with two full sets so I can have burgundy and true retro.

Spaghetti monster help me if they throw on an ergodox kit...  :))

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 09:26:01 »

My desk is too tall, and there's nothing I can do about it now--it's part of my extensive shelving unit that's customized and fully in use.  Even with a relatively tall office chair, I can't handle having to type on tall keyboards.  I've tried wrist rests of various kinds (wood and cushioned leather), and neither really help. 

I'm mystified why "someone" would think that people can't have favorites they prefer to use.

Oh yeah, a tall desk it the worst.  I have one desk that is that way too. Even with the chair at its highest it still doesn't feel right.  I usually end up working from a different desk because of it. 

Oh yeah, tall desks are the worst.  I have one desk that is that way too. Even with the chair at its highest it still doesn't feel right.  I usually end up working from a different desk because of it. 

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 09:30:36 »

You just described me, in my next layout, the corner will be empty like a HHKB, and I'm mourning that I can no longer press the Ctrl with my palm, it's a unique experience pressing a key with your palm :)

And indeed, overall, it's a good analysis too, for me, low profile = less energy = no wrist issues / no fatigue - therefore GMK = perfection

Around 5 years ago I had the opportunity to get a custom wood desk made, before that, I failed to find a desk that would just be the right height, allow a chair to be get under it, and be made from a decent material - otherwise, indeed, the desk is a serious challenge too

Desk, chair, keycaps, monitor, it's not easy creating an optimal working environment