Author Topic: Royal Glam frames  (Read 1295 times)

Offline LevelSteam

Royal Glam frames
« on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 14:20:35 »
I just have a quick question regarding Royal Glam frames (and wood frames in general). I recently bought one off of massdrop and initially planned on using some standoffs (it doesn't ship with any) to keep the PCB off of the bottom of the frame, but one of the mounting holes is a little off center and while the board fits well without the standoffs and flush to the case, I can't use that screw hole with the standoff due to the angle it's drilled at.

So basically my question is this: is it ok to mount the PCB flush to the wood frame? I realize wood isn't conductive but it still makes me nervous.

Offline Tactile

Re: Royal Glam frames
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 14:39:07 »
Yeah, you should be okay. Another option would be to use the standoffs which will fit and put sheet rubber or drawer liner below the PCB for support in the area where there is no standoff. Lining the bottom of a keyboard case with drawer liner is commonly done to modify the sound, anyway.
REΛLFORCE

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 14:42:38 »
I just have a quick question regarding Royal Glam frames (and wood frames in general). I recently bought one off of massdrop and initially planned on using some standoffs (it doesn't ship with any) to keep the PCB off of the bottom of the frame, but one of the mounting holes is a little off center and while the board fits well without the standoffs and flush to the case, I can't use that screw hole with the standoff due to the angle it's drilled at.

So basically my question is this: is it ok to mount the PCB flush to the wood frame? I realize wood isn't conductive but it still makes me nervous.
That is odd, did they stop putting standoffs on the keyboards in later drops? I thought mine had some when I had the earlier one. As tactile said it should be fine, and I would probably line the bottom of the case with drawer liner just to make the case sound better anyway.

I guess having it sit right on the wood could be bad for the components on the back of the pcb if it was tightened down too hard but nothing will short because it is wood so you are good.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 15:56:44 »
Yeah I thought it was weird too, but this is the second frame I ordered from them and neither had them. The first one I got I used my own for.

I might just use all my standoffs and leave the screw out of the odd one that doesn't fit. I'll double check the packaging but as far as I know neither frame came with anything other than the screws and rubber feet.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 16:07:33 »
I didn't get standoffs with mine either.  I actually glued some brass nuts on and longer screws.  Worked but strange they don't come with.