Author Topic: Want new kb...  (Read 1122 times)

Offline sashi

Want new kb...
« on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 02:32:51 »
Hey everyone

So I'm a huge keyboard fan but unfortunately money is not something that I can't get enough to spend my expensive hobby :P

I've dabbled with MX Blues, Greens, Browns, Reds and currently am using a Novatouch with double shot ABS keycaps.

I love the sound of the topres but I also love the sound of the blues.. however when I use the blues I always bottom them out as I have heavy/strong fingers. I've used the greens but they seem a tad heavy.

I have kinda.. not really narrowed it down to some new keyboards that I am interested in

HHKB, FC660C & Poker with Clears..

I like the HHKB because of its compact size but it has no dedicated arrow key which I'm not sure if I will miss or not.
The good thing about HHKB is that there are some aftermarket keycaps

FC660C.. well I only chose this because it has a dedicated arrow key however I don't see any keycaps for these at all...

Poker w/Clears - Is MX so keycaps are readily available however it has no dedicated arrow key yet again..

Can someone help me decide? :) PS: I live in Canada

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
Re: Want new kb...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 02:43:46 »
Which FC660C? Topre or MX? The FC660C MX version is compatible with any standard aftermarket keyset IIRC. Topre is a bit harder and more limited with caps being made mostly for HHKB layouts. If you go with a MX board I would recommend greens with a lighter spring or blues with heavier springs.

Offline sashi

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 03:02:05 »
Isnt FC660M the MX version and the C topre?

Edit: Yea the FC660C has limited keycaps which is why I am going the HHKB route but there is no arrow keys :(
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2016, 03:04:09 by sashi »

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 03:24:26 »
My apologies, you are correct. However keep in mind that there are differences between the two models besides the switch type. Both were built separately from the ground up. The Topre version has slightly a different placement of the DIP switches and USB port. M has a bit of flex to it while C does not. The similarities stop at the layout and the typing experiences are night and day.

Offline sashi

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 03:48:49 »
Yes I am only interested in the topre model

The only thing that I am worried is that the Leopold keycaps. It is extremely hard to find some

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 04:00:53 »
Yes I am only interested in the topre model

The only thing that I am worried is that the Leopold keycaps. It is extremely hard to find some

What's wrong with the included set?

Offline sashi

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 11:16:18 »
Nothing. I just want to customize it to different keycaps and color

Edit: I think I'll keep my novatouch for now and do the silencing ring mod
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2016, 12:31:51 by sashi »

Offline DanD3n

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 13:16:15 »
You could use some topre to mx keycap adaptors (stems). Cooler Master makes ones (for their novatouch kbs), but atm they aren't currently available for sale. Some other chinese site sells something similar, but i've forgot the details/address, maybe others can help.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 November 2016, 04:18:21 by DanD3n »

Offline sashi

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 13:42:42 »
Thanks yea... the aliexpress ones I've read have some wobble apparently

I'll keep my novatouch and do the silencing ring mod for now...

I did join the drop for the magicforce with clears so that should keep my occupied/satisfied until I get that itch.. only then I will get the FC660C :D