Author Topic: Zealios vs Ergo clears  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Adranos

Zealios vs Ergo clears
« on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 16:42:00 »
I feel that I am asking a redundant question, but what are the pros/cons of zealios 67g and ergo clears?
According to zealpc.net the 67g has a "crisp and responsive tactile bump" and how would that compare to the bump of ergo clears?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Zealios vs Ergo clears
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 17:16:08 »
It is a topic that has been fully discussed already. I'd said, that there is no a definitive answer on which one is crisper, bumper, nor anything else; however, there are differences, but how dramatic they are will depend on your own sensibility.

I have two boards in use now, one with ergo-clears and the other with round 1 Zealios. I prefer the ergo-clears my self, they feel, to me at least, a bit firmer and the bump is very noticeable, while the Zealios' are a bit softer and the bump is almost imperceptible.

You should try them for yourself, that is the only definitive way to get your own personal assessment.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 17:28:29 »
"Ergo clear" is a modification of a Cherry MX Clear switch.
Purple zealios are clones of MX Clear switches, that are like "ergo clears" out of the box.

So, if you buy zealios, you're getting switches, that are tuned out of the box. The downside is limited availability, relatively high price and the fact, that they are quite new clones made by a rather new Chinese manufacturer (Gateron)—there have been quality problems, that are still being fixed with each new revision.

In case of genuine MX Clear, you have to do the tuning by yourself or ask someone to do it for you. The stock switch is, however, much easier to get at a rather reasonable price. The switch is proven and you know what you're getting.
One notable downside is the tooth on keycap mount, that makes it harder to remove keycaps.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 19:21:51 »
Tuning switches are not really hard to do and the due diligence to get the springs, stock clear switches and doing the moding are all part of the fun of being a keyboard aficionado; unless, you prefer to get and install strictly stock parts. You may consider to get a plate that allow top removal, in that way you will always have the possibility to change the stems and the springs. I recently get some green stems that I hope provide more tactility than Zealios. When I got the Zealios they were at seventy cents a piece, while most clears are under fifty cents each.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 19:36:10 »
It is a topic that has been fully discussed already. I'd said, that there is no a definitive answer on which one is crisper, bumper, nor anything else; however, there are differences, but how dramatic they are will depend on your own sensibility.

I have two boards in use now, one with ergo-clears and the other with round 1 Zealios. I prefer the ergo-clears my self, they feel, to me at least, a bit firmer and the bump is very noticeable, while the Zealios' are a bit softer and the bump is almost imperceptible.

You should try them for yourself, that is the only definitive way to get your own personal assessment.

I have zealios in 62 and 67, the bump is much more noticeable at heavier weights.  62s feel like super smooth browns.

p.s. everyone knows vintage browns >> all
Hi :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 20:25:43 »

I have zealios in 62 and 67, the bump is much more noticeable at heavier weights.  62s feel like super smooth browns.

p.s. everyone knows vintage browns >> all

That is my feeling as well, I had an FC660 with browns and the feeling in these 62 Zs are pretty similar to those ones.

Offline DanD3n

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 06:05:20 »
The bump in 67g zealios is pretty pronounced, though i wouldn't call it "crisp". Crisp i would call the bump in mx blues, imo.

Offline yookwh

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 20:01:53 »
I think it's okay to post these kind of threads, regardless of how often they're posted. Keyboards and their switches, especially in comparisons, can always have differing opinions between a group of people. I haven't tried Ergo clears, but this is my perspective from using MX Clears, 65, and 78g Zealios. I love the pronounced bump with Clears, but it got a bit tiring. 65's were much easier to type, but no bump. 78g I feel is the best with both of these worlds - very easy to type on for hours, while also having a nice bump (Not as pronounced as MX Clears of course, but still there)

Offline Adranos

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 19:56:57 »
After reading this (and wow it has been a long time) I think I will work with MX blues for a keyboard project. Thanks everyone for your opinions!