Author Topic: Custom. HHKB. Exotic. Wood. Cases.  (Read 7402 times)

Offline d.walkr3

Custom. HHKB. Exotic. Wood. Cases.
« on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 22:54:39 »
Just as the title says.

Hi,

My name is David, and I'm a student. I'm also newly-found keyboard enthusiast. I recently stumbled across a HHKB type-s jp (see: http://imgur.com/EDwJuX9) and I fell in love. as such, I wanted to make my keyboard as perfect as possible, and I think that while the off-white abs plastic case provides a nice classic look, I find the stock vertical difference between the rows to be less-than ideal.

I'm playing around with a few designs in my head. These include (but are certainly not limited to): Purple Heart wood that I'll make a nice dark purple using a UV-light treatment, Wooden plate fastened at a slightly DOWNWARD tilting angle-- I was also planning on having the plate attached to the case in such a way that optimizes resonance. The reason being? Wood. In addition to its natural, timeless, and robust qualities..I hate the plasticy, rattling sounds that almost every keyboard makes, and I want to go to every effort necessary to eradicate that. I will have thought over every cubic inch of this one-of-a-kind case. Additionally, I plan on possibly having other wood options included, possible zebra wood, snake wood, birds-eye maple, paudauk, or my favorite aromatic cedar! I was even thinking of making part of the plate out of this, or at least adding a thin, vinear-like layer. The reason for this one? Your keyboard will smell AMAZING. If you haven't had the luxury of smelling, say, an aromatic cedar-lined chest or jewelry box.. then you are missing out. Im still thinking of options for feet, overall case design (my board is a jp, however I would like to have the option for standard HHKB layout as well, of course). If I had more time I would share some more of my ideas.. but I don't want to reveal them all yet. :-X Still thinking about feet, custom milled metal plate, exotic inlays and much more.

To my limited knowledge, this would be one of the only aftermarket HHKB cases ever produced... and the ONLY aftermarket HHKB case produced for custom order (and WOOD).
Being each case will have my blood, sweat, tears, and hours of work poured into it, not to mention coordinating interest among buyers and locating a reliable supply source that can tailor to a customizable interest. That said, I'll be home from college on winter break in just a couple of weeks. I plan to do a prototype case(es) featuring a lot of the designs I have in mind. I'll have access to 2 fully-equipped woodworking shops, and I have a buddy who is the manager of engineers at an aerospace engineering/parts lab... with this comes the potential for many features...including the aforementioned metal plate AND case. I'm looking for exact blueprints of both the HHKB and HHKB jp layouts (not sure if/how type-s in each of these variants would differ), and any help would be appreciated.

All of which I have discussed above is quick sample of the plans I have to bring the term ENDGAME a new meaning. The HHKB community has been deprived of customization for too long.. I want to bring my ideas to life and offer others the chance to own a timeless case which aims to fill current stock production shortcomings. PLEASE let me know if this sounds like something you guys would be interested in purchasing. Also please share any information about the board you think may be of use to my endeavors, as well as suggestions for what you would like to have specifically. I'm also open to producing one-off cases for some fully-pocketed folks. Ex: currently in talks to produe a custom bird's eye ATREUS keyboard case. Being a custom made project, that will require each working be done by hand and with precision, these are likely to be on the more expensive side. But in my opinion, such a timeless and exclusive piece that brings your topre keyboard to it's crescendo is well worthy of warranting a bit more cash.

I plan to have these cases done by mid Jan-before I return to school. The number of which is largely undecided considering I have the variables of lumber selection and supply, purchase interest, design, etc. to consider. I'm open to producing anywhere from just a few cases for myself, 5 for a select bunch who want customization until the end of days, 50 for the cult, or 200+ for the revolution.

Experience: 5 years high-school shop class (2nd place in the state competition for a desk my dad wanted me to make him lol, i'll post pics later to showcase some of my skill in the 2nd or 3rd year of woodworking) 2 of which I spent teaching, intermittent carpentry.

Let's get this thing going. no more failed/bailed drops by vendors... I really want this thing to be a godcase. endgame in a box, if you will. I realize that my timeline leaves little time for waste, but I do have a few connections that may help the process along. Again, if anybody is willing to help me on this, it would be much appreciated and I'd definitely consider it. In any case (pun intended) if I don't finish all the custom spec'd boards by mid-jan's return to school, I wood-finish (oh god) them at a later date if you would be willing to wait, or refund your purchase until you're ready to order again :P.
Post your ideas below... sorry for the rambling

Thanks,
David
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 December 2016, 14:32:30 by d.walkr3 »

Offline d.walkr3

Re: Custom. HHKB. Exotic. Wood. Cases.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 22:57:44 »
Also, should I re-post this in interest checks? are reposts allowed? should I wait until I have at least rough-final designs, or even a protype to showcase? In the interest of time I would really like to accumulate as much interest as possible in the shortest amount of time as possible so that I can order the wood and parts/services and get cracking on these masterpieces.  :thumb:

Offline schizoidpig

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 23:11:38 »
This sounds cool, but just a suggestion: skip the metal plate. The HHKB slider housings, plate, and case are all one, single piece of plastic. Milling a metal plate for the HHKB would be prohibitively expensive and kinda ruins the thocky sound of the key press. However, a completely wooden case would be very interesting I think and might make the keyboard sound even more delicious.

Offline d.walkr3

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 23:26:15 »
I was really leaning towards a wooden plate. My idea for the metal plate included having it milled as a separate piece from the case. I was thinking of dadoing two lengthwise grooves into the case stiles, then having the plate slide in. I would then line the the top with wood and make sure everything is supported underneath while trying to make it sound universially perfect.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 10:13:55 »
I was thinking of such a thing a while back, I couldn't really move forward due to some life circumstances getting in the way, but here is a little discussion about it, if such a thing interests you.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77133.0

Offline harjoat

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 10:23:21 »
This sounds good, I've also got a HHKB JP Type-s and would love to see a case for this.

Offline d.walkr3

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 11:20:01 »
I was thinking of such a thing a while back, I couldn't really move forward due to some life circumstances getting in the way, but here is a little discussion about it, if such a thing interests you.

Oh wow, these ideas are very similar! thanks for the link. Would you recommend removing access to the HHKB controller switches, in favor of a more elegant design? where were you thinking of re-locating the usb to?

Offline 3K

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 12:03:24 »
This thread sounds interesting! The part that got me most is the smell, for whatever reason... :D

However, I own a HHKB Prof. 2 and would like to help with whatever there is to help! If you are looking for exact measurements I am almost sure that this information is already available.

Also thinking about it, it seems that you are going to make at least two designs, as the Professionals case is different from the Type S'? I wonder if a case could be designed which fits both models.

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 12:47:04 »
I was always interested in a wooden HHKB case, and even tried to get one made for me several times without success. It all comes down to the price I guess and final design of the case.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 13:48:24 »

Oh wow, these ideas are very similar! thanks for the link. Would you recommend removing access to the HHKB controller switches, in favor of a more elegant design? where were you thinking of re-locating the usb to?

I honestly felt to me at least, I saw little to no need for the usb hub at all. So if I was doing one for personally my self, I wouldn't cut out the slots for the usb hub at all. Of course some people might use them.

They are under powered for one, and I intend to use the custom hhkb controller that doesn't even have a usb hub.

And I prefer having access to the controller switches, personally.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 December 2016, 13:57:38 by Air tree »

Offline d.walkr3

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 13:59:46 »
Milling a metal plate for the HHKB would be prohibitively expensive and kinda ruins the thocky sound of the key press. However, a completely wooden case would be very interesting I think and might make the keyboard sound even more delicious.

I may have access to cost-efficient milling and 3d-printing through a couple of local connections. If my plan for the wood plate doesn't turn out (I have faith), then I was thinking of having plates milled, then attaching a thin layer of wood or vinear on top of the plate. my goal is to have the thocky sound retained and amplified with the solid wooden enclosure

Offline d.walkr3

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 14:08:08 »
This thread sounds interesting! The part that got me most is the smell, for whatever reason... :D

However, I own a HHKB Prof. 2 and would like to help with whatever there is to help! If you are looking for exact measurements I am almost sure that this information is already available.

Also thinking about it, it seems that you are going to make at least two designs, as the Professionals case is different from the Type S'? I wonder if a case could be designed which fits both models.

Thanks for the interest. I'm glad the smell attracted you (for lack of better wording haha), I haven't been able to get the idea out of my head since conception. I need to have it in my board in some regard, and I know you guys will love it too. And yes! I really am needing the cad files for the plate specifically, or at least dimensions. The same goes with the cases. If you could provide me with those that would be a huge help!

And it's funny you mention a case fitting both models, because that's exactly what I was looking into. On my reddit post
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5ga2pi/custom_hhkb_exotic_wood_cases/

you'll see that one of the potential concerns is altering the pcb/dome configuration. I'll be doing more research into this, and would again appreciate any information. thanks
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 December 2016, 14:28:12 by d.walkr3 »

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 14:12:54 »
To my knowledge, there is no difference between the type s and regular HHKB models, the only thing different are the silencing rings that are placed on the sliders.

Offline d.walkr3

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 14:15:56 »
To my knowledge, there is no difference between the type s and regular HHKB models, the only thing different are the silencing rings that are placed on the sliders.

The shell is also different, at least for the jp model. I feel as though there may be an extra rivet or something in one of the boards as well.. not sure though. If anybody has or could take pictures of the internal case layout of their HHKB Pro 2 and/or type-s variant and post them that would be great.

edit: + different plates..
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 December 2016, 14:45:48 by d.walkr3 »

Offline 3K

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 14:42:56 »

The shell is also different, at least for the jp model. I feel as though there may be an extra rivet or something in one of the boards as well.. not sure though. If anybody has or could take pictures of the internal case layout of their HHKB Pro 2 and/or type-s variant and post them that would be great.

I think this website displays accurately what you are requesting, along with the difficulty of designing such a case: https://blog.storeuni.com/keyboard/how-to-pfu-hhkb-disassembly-and-modding/

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline d.walkr3

Re: Project WoodWalker (HHKB Custom Wooden Case)
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 06:50:20 »
UPDATE: I've spoken to a few people and drafted some designs, and I bring good news for project WoodWalker   ;D. I have full access to a CNC machine, laser etcher, and 3d scanner+printer. I, nor the expert I spoke to, do not expect to run into any problems with wood shrinkage/expansion from moisture levels. I'll be able to mill within 1/1000" and, in addition to the plate's small dimensions, I plan to use kiln-dried, tightly-grained lumber and apply sealant to the plate to further protect against any dimensional variance. For those wondering about the design of the case, it will arrive in 3 parts: Top, plate, and bottom. The plate will be milled+laser etched, and l will be doing everything else by hand.

Regarding the projects' progress, I plan to start production in about 2 WEEKS, as soon as I am able to produce a proto-type. Unfortunately I will be out of town for a week starting Thursday, or I'd be able to start earlier. Right now, I'm meeting with my partner and finalizing specifics. see below for tentative options to expect for the case:

- Selection of premium exotic woods for front and back lengthwise rails, widthwise side rails, and bottom.  - price will vary depending on selections

- Custom-felted bottom (and lower interior?)  - $25 w/choice of color

- Custom wooden feet with your selection of wood (permanent feet)  - $10 ($20 for felt-tipped)

- USB cut-out  - $10

- Finish  - ($10-$30 depending on wood requirements)

- "WoodWalker" hand-burnt into case (free)

Expect the case to total somewhere between $200-375 (subject to change) depending on selection of wood/options. Also expect images of the design profiles of the case later today. Please bear in mind the case will have a slightly larger footprint than stock.

Due to the personalization of the WoodWalker, and the time constraints I'm dealing with, this first round of production will be extremely limited. I plan on grinding out 12-16 hour days to produce as many cases as possible, but I'd much rather produce half as many with twice the quality. *IMPORTANT* Obviously, the time-frame is very short between the buying period and the period you guys have to view the proto-type. In effort to speed up the transition, and so I can gauge interest please sign up here: https://goo.gl/forms/xzAaRb0B5pF5C2pG2. Please be sure to say if your username is from Geekhack or Reddit.

Let's get this thing done.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 09:50:04 »
Once you mill out a prototype, can you record a typing test with the case put together? I'm really interested in the acoustics.

Offline d.walkr3

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 15:27:54 »
Once you mill out a prototype, can you record a typing test with the case put together? I'm really interested in the acoustics.

absolutely! I'll post many pictures and videos if need be to showcase all of the features

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 07:38:53 »
While I love the smell of aromatic cedar, I don't think I'd use it where it subject to either denting or splitting. I have found it neither structurally reliable or hard enough to withstand any abuse. You could laminate a thin layer to the interior of the case to achieve the aroma and my guess is that its density would be a good soundboard for creating a very nice sound. Best wishes on your project. I'll be following this.

Offline d.walkr3

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 07:53:59 »
While I love the smell of aromatic cedar, I don't think I'd use it where it subject to either denting or splitting. I have found it neither structurally reliable or hard enough to withstand any abuse. You could laminate a thin layer to the interior of the case to achieve the aroma and my guess is that its density would be a good soundboard for creating a very nice sound. Best wishes on your project. I'll be following this.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of the same thing.. if I don't like the original plate design for whatever reason I can always attach a sheet of veneer or the like. I'll have a little room to work with as the keys on the HHKB bottom out with a little room to spare before they hit the plate.

Expect scaled and semi-finalized designs later today... I got caught up yesterday with something. Will try my best to get those done. Won't be CAD, as I'll be making all but the plate by hand, so there's really no need. However if you would like an animated mock-up Let me know and I'll see what I can do!

Offline d.walkr3

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 09:46:08 »
My apologies on the lack of updates on this project. Holidaze, girlfriend, vacation ETC.. excuses.

Prototype in progress today, T-5 hours until I can get to work on it. Hopefully I'll have a completed prototype shortly. I'll update you guys as soon as I can. I'd like to also inform you that, if the prototype can be completed, and it is received well, this "first round" of production will have to be extremely limited, as I return to school in 9 days. After I produce my prototype, I'll have a better feel for the time allotment I can expect for each case. At this point, I can't make any promises, but the designs are done and all that is left to do is make the guy. Pending WoodWalker's success, I advise you stay tuned for future updates, as it will be first come, first serve due to time constraints.

Offline Vloshko

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 11:54:07 »
Just found this, I'm interested and would like to see the prototype once done.
Keycap Compendium

Discord: Vloshko#1327

Key Cap Wishlist

2019: Configure Optimal Audio Settings

HHKB Pro 2, Model M, Unicorn X Legend, ESPECTRO 96, SaiB CP, E8-V1.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 09:03:57 »
Not surprised this went nowhere but still disappointed.