Author Topic: IBM M15 ergonomic buckling spring + artisan space bars  (Read 2130 times)

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
IBM M15 ergonomic buckling spring + artisan space bars
« on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 21:14:36 »
Finally, XMIT036 with the new, working replacement caps!

155215-0

XMIT036 is one of my IBM Model M15 buckling spring ergonomic split boards. Here's how it looked before this project.

155203-1

As you can tell, it is missing the left half of the Space bar. (In this photo the ball mount on the right half is also broken. I've since fixed this with 3M DP460 epoxy.)

Fortunately, I also have XMIT035, which is a complete board.

155205-2

So, I thought, why not cast a new replacement Space bar set?

This project sat on the back burner until this week. I had a business trip. Through the geekbnb network :)) I connected with the incredibly awesome ImpendingxDoom who let me crash on his couch while I was in Chicago.

Now, I've had some experience with silicone mold casting, but Doom takes it to the next level. He's had almost two years of experience doing two sided molds, while I've barely done one single sided mold. We got some great results! These are not even the best ones...

155207-3
155209-4
155211-5
155213-6

If Doom gets a chance he'll run some black and red Space bars for me!

Does anyone know where I can find some 1.25mm stainless steel wire, to fabricate a better replacement stabilizer for the left Space bar? I managed to jury-rig something using an old paper clip (1.12mm) and some Kapton tape to increase wire diameter but I'd like to do better.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: IBM M15 ergonomic buckling spring + artisan space bars
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 03:57:51 »
Nice restoration, in 20 years the spacebar might look original too.  A pair of black and red would look great but at least it works for now!  Not many bnbs offer such great service :))

No idea on finding the wire without buying a reel but I wish you luck in your search.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 06:18:14 »
For the wire - I managed to cobble something together using a thick paper clip, bent using two pairs of pliers, and a little bit of Kapton tape on the ends to get it to fit. It works! Not perfect, but it is usable.

wcass and litster chimed in with this McMaster link and this video:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#89085k84/=15fridg

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 06:27:05 »
Not bad, 24' of spare is better than 1000 :))  Surely somewhere sells smaller bits though...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tufty

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 11:19:30 »
ebay, craft shops.  Non stainless piano wire is easy to find, just ask a local model shop.