Author Topic: List of AT PS/2 Adaptible Keyboards?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline didjamatic

List of AT PS/2 Adaptible Keyboards?
« on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 13:35:44 »
Does anyone know of (or can we create) a list of non-AT/PS2/USB keyboards such as Terminals, XT's, funky serial interfaces, etc. that can be adapted to AT/PS2?
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 13:37:47 »
That sounds like a good idea. I'd go to Kishy for information on the terminal keyboards.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 13:41:37 »
IBM 3151-3153/3179/318x/319x/34xx

Terminal types known to be adaptable in one manner or another, following the stuff I've documented with the input of others.

Reversing those into part numbers would be IMPOSSIBLE, there had to be a thousand different ones if not more (since particular companies may receive a set of 1 part number unique to them despite the keyboard being exactly the same as a different part number except keycaps)

Unicomp DOES have a list of IBM part numbers; I had Jim go through it looking for "1386887" when I first got the keyboards before I even registered here. However, I don't think the docs say what the keyboard is compatible with or any descriptive info...it's just a list of part numbers that existed.

That said, I can vouch for 1386887.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 16:31:49 »
What about the PC 3270 ones?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 17:23:39 »
Quote from: ch_123;153941
What about the PC 3270 ones?

I'm not an IBM guru so this could be totally off -

My understanding is the number "3270" represents a category of terminal (cross-compatible ones it seems) and so the 3270 PC was an XT equipped to emulate (via hardware, basically the contents of the terminal stuffed in ISA slots) any one of the "3270 series of terminals".

As I understand it - which could easily be wrong - the aforementioned "3270 series" is what we're talking about when we talk about conversion-capable terminal keyboards.

Short answer: yeah, it's compatible. Keep in mind that it is a real terminal keyboard, not an emulation product...the cards in the computer and software/firmware provide the emulation.

Edit:
Wikipedia solves everything.
I was on the right track, but see the article for the differences.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2010, 18:02:44 by kishy »
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca