Author Topic: Your palm rest picks  (Read 4777 times)

Offline salcan

Your palm rest picks
« on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 15:19:47 »

I'm looking for a new palm rest for my non-ergo keyboards and I was wondering what people recommended. I see Elite Keyboards has some models that people seem to like, though they aren't cheap and they are currently out of stock.

I recently picked up this Fellowes model because it was cheap and available, but I wouldn't mind upgrading. I'd actually like something a bit thicker (this is about .5").

Anyway, just curious what people were using and what they recommended. About half the time I use an MS Natural 4000 so I'm used to having my wrists elevated and it's an adjustment for me to move over to the Model M.

Offline itlnstln

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 15:22:54 »
If you want thicker, you probably aren't going to like the ones from Elitekeyboards.  They are farily thin.  I have always considered the gel ones to be pretty thick.  You might want to check one of those out.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Your palm rest picks
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 15:35:27 »
i like the 4 foot wide foam with platform ones.

The platform allows me to position my keyboards and left-handed mice without having to respect the edges of my desk, which is valuable in office cube environments.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2010, 15:37:41 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Megaweapon

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 19:25:13 »
Quote from: salcan;153907
Anyway, just curious what people were using and what they recommended.
I use the L34801 which is about the same thickness as yours but with only a single (smaller) gap in foam located between the arrow keys and the numpad.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline D-EJ915

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 19:37:48 »
the way I have my system set up is interesting because my arms are angled rather than straight but my wrists are straight(yes I know it's "bad" but it's way more comfortable than jacking my chair all the way up and having to put my monitors on some boxes or something) so I just have my keyboard up against the edge of the desk and my wrists rest on the edge which is rounded. pic
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2010, 22:33:37 by D-EJ915 »

Offline hyperlinked

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 21:37:50 »

Dude, you have DomoKun on your 7-Eleven cup? Where do you live?
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Rajagra

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 22:33:21 »
Quote from: salcan;153907
About half the time I use an MS Natural 4000 so I'm used to having my wrists elevated and it's an adjustment for me to move over to the Model M.

It sounds like you rest your wrists while typing so you may need something soft. One suggestion was a rolled/folded up bar towel. Might be worth trying.

I have rests made for keyboards without numpads - but they work just as well on full sized keyboards. So don't assume you need a full-width rest unless you actually use the numpad heavily.

Offline salcan

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 08:47:17 »
Quote from: Rajagra;154021
It sounds like you rest your wrists while typing so you may need something soft. One suggestion was a rolled/folded up bar towel. Might be worth trying.

I have rests made for keyboards without numpads - but they work just as well on full sized keyboards. So don't assume you need a full-width rest unless you actually use the numpad heavily.

think you nailed it there. I'm definitely a wrist-rester. As for the numpad rest area, right again--if I go tenkeyless i might just cut this fellowes pad to size, if I get something new I definitely don't need it to extend to the numpad

@ripster - I think a keyboard tray might be a solution. I'd like to exhaust all other options, especially $15 ones that don't involve me screwing things in my desk first.

Offline bigpook

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 09:32:50 »
I like the filco wrist rests; they are leather which makes them easy to clean and they will last a long time.
I have had the foam ones, thick and thin and cloth covered gel. These work fine too but mine would get dirty over time and  were hard to clean.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 09:45:58 »
I like my Filco rest, too.  The only thing I would change is that I would like it better if it were all one height (the higher side, preferably).

Offline MsKeyboard

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 10:16:17 »
I have been using a 3M WR410 adjustable wrist rest, but it looks like those are hard to find.  Might be able to acquire one, but from memory they were not very cheap.
You might look at the other 3M offerings right now, their quality is great and the one I am using has been under my wrists for well over ten years, and has held up extremely well.  They have two different materials inside, with the gel being the most compliant.  One thing I really like about the 3M is they use some type of "silky" covering, easy to clean and very tough.  Other manufacturers tend to use some polyester material, which does not clean or hold up well.  Also most wrests tend to be curved on top, and flat definitely gives you more freedom of movement.

Of course, YMMV............Later

Offline salcan

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 10:22:56 »
Quote from: itlnstln;154088
I like my Filco rest, too.  The only thing I would change is that I would like it better if it were all one height (the higher side, preferably).

About how thick are those? I can't seem to find any specs.

I'd prefer something is that isn't too much of a gel substance, which is what makes me think that the leather is the way to go.

Offline hyperlinked

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 10:25:16 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;154091
You might look at the other 3M offerings right now, their quality is great and the one I am using has been under my wrists for well over ten years, and has held up extremely well.

I second Ms Keyboard. I  also have a 3M palm rest... they call it their gel palm rest with leatherette covering. It's a nice blend of being firm and squishy at the same time. If you really lay into it, it'll start giving, but otherwise it's relatively firm if you don't rest hard on it.

Palm rests hurt my hands when used for extended periods, so I really try not to use them and like Ripster, I'll sometimes go without my palm rest when I find myself taking advantage of it too much. I have a nice keyboard try so much of the time the rest is there to keep my keyboard from sliding backwards.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline exia

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 00:04:21 »
you don't need palm rests, you people are being brainwashed.

Offline platon

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 15:49:54 »
I use products from these guys.

They have some soft elastic cloth pads filled with very small beads.  I have these three:

wrist cushion

mouse cushion

and weird glove.

I really like that mouse cushion, soft and huggy, helped me when thumb tenontitis started to emerge.

Oddly enough i dont use the wrist pad anymore. Instead i only wear the glove on my right hand and use the mouse cushion. I use vi editor in a terminal everyday (programmer). I constantly move my hand from the home row  to the cursor keys to move around text. When i do that the right wrist bends upwards in an uncomfortable position. But with the glove the pad touches the desk when i do that and my wrist remains straight. I have the mouse on the left side though. Glove and mouse cushion dont mix.

And check this out, they are designed by an orthopedic surgeon ... lol.

Filco Majestouch brown no nkro, Filco tenkeyless white lettered with browns, IBM Model M 1392934 Space Saving \'91 x 2, Cherry G80-3000 LSCEU-2, Chicony KB-5181, SGI Granite 9500900, IBM Model M 52G9658 \'94, HHKB Lite 2 for Mac, SGI RT6856T (rubber dome), Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, CH DT225 trackball, SGI 063-0009-001 mouse

Offline Rajagra

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 15:55:10 »
I like the look of that glove. I tried using cycling gloves, but they were much too restrictive as the cushioning material extended onto the fingers.

Offline platon

Your palm rest picks
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 16:00:37 »
The cool thing about this glove is that you can turn it inside out and wear it to your other hand.
Filco Majestouch brown no nkro, Filco tenkeyless white lettered with browns, IBM Model M 1392934 Space Saving \'91 x 2, Cherry G80-3000 LSCEU-2, Chicony KB-5181, SGI Granite 9500900, IBM Model M 52G9658 \'94, HHKB Lite 2 for Mac, SGI RT6856T (rubber dome), Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, CH DT225 trackball, SGI 063-0009-001 mouse

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Your palm rest picks
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 16:35:47 »
You people gave me some good ideas. I like the look and idea of the adjustable 3M ones, so when my next salary comes in (and my new keyboard) I'm getting that 3M W420.
€40,- though. :ohwell:
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread