Author Topic: Easy to press Model M sounding keys  (Read 5475 times)

Offline nads93uk

Easy to press Model M sounding keys
« on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 12:56:47 »
Hi all, I wanted to know if there are any keyboards which do not require much force to press a key but still make that loud clicky sound like the buckling spring type used on the IBM Model M?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 13:09:24 »
The closest thing you are going to get is either white ALPS (Matias TP 3.0, et. al.) or blue Cherrys (Filco, et. al.).  The Cherrys are lighter than the ALPS, but I like the sound of the click in the ALPS better (at least the ones in my Northagate which are original, complicated ALPS).

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 13:46:12 »
Blue Alps are probably closest to what you want but are quite rare. Blue Cherries are probably the best compromise.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 13:48:16 »
If you want a blue ALPS keyboard, keep your eyes out for Northgate keyboards.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 14:17:46 »
I will be listing some Blue ALPS keyboards in a week or so on ebay with many others.  They will either have a low starting bid and no reserve, or a low buy it now price.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 14:19:05 »
I think ricercar has a blue ALPS keyboard listed for sale as well.

EDIT:  He actually has a Northgate with whites available.  Still a nice keyboard, though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2010, 14:22:06 by itlnstln »

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 14:29:09 »
any that make the sound yet if i rest my hands on them they are pressed?

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 14:36:16 »
I'll check on the Blue vs. White ALPS when I go to auction things off.  I also have orange, brown, mini greens and others I could check.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline whininggit

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 14:39:54 »
Quote from: nads93uk;154230
any that make the sound yet if i rest my hands on them they are pressed?
Cherry MX Blues require less force than Model M, and are clicky, but it's a different click (higher pitched). As others have said, Alps are closest in sound, but even then it depends a lot on how they're mounted and the overall case construction. However, even the MX blues offer enough resistance to not give way by resting your fingers on them. I suspect you'd need to go for rubber domes to get that behaviour.

I've heard white Alps boards that sound plasticy, whereas others are pingy. I'm probably outnumbered here, but I prefer deep plasticy sound over metallic pinging.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2010, 14:42:51 by whininggit »
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 14:42:55 »
I prefer the lower-pitched click of the Ms and complicated ALPS.  Blues are annoying to me.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 16:13:54 »
I know what I would like - something as quiet as a rubber dome, but a strong tactile response, and with more force required before bottoming out than a Model M. But I think that doesn't exist - and it's close to the exact opposite of what the OP is seeking.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 16:27:11 »
The Topre is probably the closest to that description, but the force is concentrated at the top. Bottoming out isnt a big issue on the Topre because it's so smooth.

Offline jpeck

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 06:32:40 »
I came here to post a new thread, but this thread is real similar so I will ask here. I came in to work the other day and found a very good condition Dell AT101W in the trash heap. This was nice since I've been wanting to try one out for a while now. I absolutely love the layout on this board (close enough to the model M), but I'm not liking the feel of the keys too much. They feel really stiff to me. I don't mind stiff as long as it is concentrated at the top of the key press, but these feel pretty stiff all the way through the stroke. The stiffness basically eliminates the tactile feel of the key switch. It got me to thinking that I would really love this board if it had blue cherries. Is there anything like that out there? Looking for a layout like the M or the AT101W, but with a similar feel to blue cherries.

I see ch_123 mentioned the Topre boards. Would this be close to what I'm after?

Offline whininggit

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 08:28:37 »
Most keyboards from proper keyboard manufacturers (Cherry, Unicomp, Filco, Topre etc.) should use a standard layout. It's only companies such as Logitech and Microsoft that waste money on somebody to move keys around.

You might like the Cherry G80-3000LSCEU. I have the G80-3000LSCGB (UK layout) and it is by far my favourite from my collection.
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline jpeck

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 09:21:03 »
Quote from: whininggit;154359
Most keyboards from proper keyboard manufacturers (Cherry, Unicomp, Filco, Topre etc.) should use a standard layout. It's only companies such as Logitech and Microsoft that waste money on somebody to move keys around.

You might like the Cherry G80-3000LSCEU. I have the G80-3000LSCGB (UK layout) and it is by far my favourite from my collection.

I probably should have mentioned this- I alternate between a Das 2, Das 3, Filco Otaku and the AT101W as my daily drivers depending on how my fingers feel. That Cherry you posted is really close to my Das 2 if not the same right? I might be using the wrong terminology here when I use the word layout. The size of the keys and the overall spacing on the AT101W just feel a lot better than the Das 2 to me. It feels really close to the model M whereas none of my other boards are close. I'm looking for something that is nearly a clone of either the AT101W or model M, but with blue cherry switches.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 09:23:23 »
Quote from: jpeck;154369
That Cherry you posted is really close to my Das 2 if not the same right?

That's correct.  The Das 2 was a relabeled Cherry G80-3000.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 11:28:57 »
Quote from: jpeck;154344
I came here to post a new thread, but this thread is real similar so I will ask here. I came in to work the other day and found a very good condition Dell AT101W in the trash heap. This was nice since I've been wanting to try one out for a while now. I absolutely love the layout on this board (close enough to the model M), but I'm not liking the feel of the keys too much. They feel really stiff to me. I don't mind stiff as long as it is concentrated at the top of the key press, but these feel pretty stiff all the way through the stroke. The stiffness basically eliminates the tactile feel of the key switch. It got me to thinking that I would really love this board if it had blue cherries. Is there anything like that out there? Looking for a layout like the M or the AT101W, but with a similar feel to blue cherries.

I see ch_123 mentioned the Topre boards. Would this be close to what I'm after?

A fullsize Filco?

I would consider the Topres to be superior to the Blue Cherry, unless you particularly want a loud keyboard. Price is a problem of course.

As for the Dell AT101W with it's black Alps switches - it's generally considered that the problem is that the force is concentrated all at the top. One you overcome that force is just gives way.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 11:41:37 »
Possibly because of my acquisition of Secret Special Research Item #5...

Offline jpeck

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 11:57:58 »
Quote from: ch_123;154393
A fullsize Filco?

I would consider the Topres to be superior to the Blue Cherry, unless you particularly want a loud keyboard. Price is a problem of course.

As for the Dell AT101W with it's black Alps switches - it's generally considered that the problem is that the force is concentrated all at the top. One you overcome that force is just gives way.

Hmm. It could be that the AT101W I have is just old, but it looks brand new. The force on this one is uniform almost all the way down.

I came really close to buying a Topre 103U recently, but decided I could not justify the cost. Would you happen to know how the overall size compares to a model M or even a AT101W? This is the most important thing to me. All of the modern clicky boards I have tried just feel cramped except for this AT101W. I would say my Filco is the second best in this regard.

Offline whininggit

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 12:02:43 »
Model M, Filco, AT101, G80 - they should all be the same size. Could it have been the angle of the keyboard or the distance you set it at from your body that affected it?

Offline jpeck

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 12:09:57 »
Quote from: whininggit;154401
Model M, Filco, AT101, G80 - they should all be the same size. Could it have been the angle of the keyboard or the distance you set it at from your body that affected it?

I've got my AT101W, my Das 2, and the 3 right in front of me. I can tell you that they are all similar in size, but the AT101W definitely "feels" bigger than all 3. I think the key caps and the bigger casing probably have quite a bit to do with the perceived difference.  For example - the AT101W sits about an inch to a half inch higher in the air than my das 2 when the legs are not extended.

Edit: This is odd - I just tried to do a quick visual comparison of the 2 vs the AT101W. The das 2 is actually slightly bigger (about an 1/8th of an inch) from spacebar to the top of the number keys. However - the tops of the keycaps on the das 2 are smaller and angled differently. I think this is why it feels so small.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 January 2010, 12:14:43 by jpeck »

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 12:31:30 »
Must be that. Key size and spacing are standardized and should be exactly the same on IBM, Cherry, Filco and any other decent keyboard.
Typing on blues.

Offline jpeck

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 13:05:51 »
That is pretty interesting ripster. You have convinced me that the size difference is either in my head or there is something else to it. I really appreciate your guys help. I am starting to have problems with my hands, and this is why I'm looking for a new board. For some reason this Dell feels more comfortable than my other boards to me despite the stiff switches. I do get tired on it after a while, but I never experience any pain. My Filco feels good too, but it is not full size. Based off of this thread, I am either going to get a full size Filco or plunk down the money on a Topre.

Offline mp29k

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 13:15:22 »
I recently got a Filco, and it feels smaller too... I think the difference is the tolerances are much tighter than old keyboards, so the keycaps do not move with my sloppy typing style.  The fact that the Filco is a more precise instrument take away the "slop" inherent in the older board I am used to typing on.  You might be seeing something similar.

My hopes are I either get better at being precise, or I "break in" the Filco to have a slight degree of worn in slop.

I am sure by that time my keys will all be shiny, but I could really care less, unlike others on here who seem to feel that their shiny Filco keys are worse than a root canal.
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 15:59:55 »
Quote from: ripster;154232
OK, you're on Post Count 11.

Speak English M... (oh wait, sorry, got a little carried away).

Can you rephrase that?

DAMN I SEEM LIKE A F.O.B

sorry about that, my typing is getting sloppy, I mean, are there any keyboards which make a loud clicky sound yet when I rest my hands on the keys, they are pressed?

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 16:01:44 »
Quote from: quadibloc;154250
I know what I would like - something as quiet as a rubber dome, but a strong tactile response, and with more force required before bottoming out than a Model M. But I think that doesn't exist - and it's close to the exact opposite of what the OP is seeking.

yup, spot on

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 16:05:10 »
Quote from: nads93uk;154436
DAMN I SEEM LIKE A F.O.B

sorry about that, my typing is getting sloppy, I mean, are there any keyboards which make a loud clicky sound yet when I rest my hands on the keys, they are pressed?

Cherry Blues are probably the closest to what you want. Depends on how heavy you rest your hands though...

One question though - do you really need a loud keyboard? The Topres for example are considered quiet, but I'd still consider them sufficiently loud to let me know when I've hit a key. Clicky mechanical switches like Alps or Cherries are, IMHO, gimmicks designed to imitate the buckling spring, which is just noisy by nature.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 January 2010, 16:28:23 by ch_123 »

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 18:56:16 »
I've got a PM in to ricercar for his northgate.  I hope I got dibs :D  but good luck finding your oneness with light clicky non-buckling spring switches.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 19:16:00 »
There is of course a switch that suits the OP's requirements perfectly... Shame they never made a PC keyboard using Beam Springs...

Offline JBert

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 14:49:02 »
Quote from: ripster;154394
The Model F is lighter.  And LOUD!!!
Sure it is loud, but it is old-school, rocks for gaming and is just bearably light if you mod that spacebar.

At least if you have a model F AT. The XT's won't help you much.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 15:15:39 »
Quote from: ch_123;154438
Cherry Blues are probably the closest to what you want. Depends on how heavy you rest your hands though...

One question though - do you really need a loud keyboard? The Topres for example are considered quiet, but I'd still consider them sufficiently loud to let me know when I've hit a key. Clicky mechanical switches like Alps or Cherries are, IMHO, gimmicks designed to imitate the buckling spring, which is just noisy by nature.

Do topres made a deep thud noise? I really hate that.

I remember using a keyboard which came with my fathers Advent 3011 in 1998, really clicky, no deep thud and used to be really easy to press. But he threw it away.

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 14:35:38 »
Quote from: whininggit;154359

Thank you very much, i am now ordering this one :)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 15:44:41 »
Quote from: JBert;154616
Sure it is loud, but it is old-school, rocks for gaming and is just bearably light if you mod that spacebar.

At least if you have a model F AT. The XT's won't help you much.

The 122-key edition (once converted) is much better than the AT. Got the same switches, but a good layout.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS