Author Topic: DAS Keyboard III & Switch Advice  (Read 1725 times)

Offline SprkFade

DAS Keyboard III & Switch Advice
« on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 08:55:47 »
Hopefully this isn't too confusing for a first post but I've been contemplating a new keyboard for a while and I was hoping to run a few things by these forums since everyone seems to be incredibly knowledgeable here.

So here's my situation.  Currently, I'm using a Model M as my main keyboard and I've been wanting to try a Filco (Blue, Brown, or Black).  I've been leaning towards the Cherry Blues (I like the heavier weight and click) but I had a few concerns about that specific switch that I'm hoping someone can clear up for me.

I had the original DAS Keyboard III and I really disliked it.  The thing I'm trying to determine though, is if it was the build quality that was giving me troubles, or if it was the switch type.  Basically, when I would would hit a key off-center (which I do a lot apparently), the keys would travel very roughly.  It felt like they were rubbing against or getting caught on something so they were basically not traveling down smoothly.  Is that a result of the switch type and the fact that I hit keys off-center from time to time? Or could it have been a problem with the keyboard itself?  Has anyone else had this problem with the first DAS Keyboard III?

I've never had a problem with any other keyboard and hitting off-center like that, but I just wanted to verify that the Filco Cherry Blue boards don't have a similar problem.  Could someone with a Filco Cherry Blue try hitting the keys off-center and let me know?

Sorry for the long post.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 09:13:11 »
If you didn't like the feel of the Das with blues, you probably aren't going to like Filco as they are basically the same 'board with a different outer shell (they are made by the same OEM/ODM).  That said, I haven't noticed any issues with hitting Cherry switches off-center.  I normally type on browns, but I have tried a Filco with blues and didn't notice any issues.

The Das III had other logic issues that were corrected with S that are compeletly unrelated to keyfeel, though.

Offline Freezer

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 09:30:31 »
Quote from: SprkFade;154543
Basically, when I would would hit a key off-center (which I do a lot apparently), the keys would travel very roughly.  It felt like they were rubbing against or getting caught on something so they were basically not traveling down smoothly.

I have a Das Pro Model S and I haven't noticed the problem you describe.  AFAIK, the differences between the Das III and the Model S were mostly in the controller, I kind of doubt either the keycaps or switches changed.  So I'll have to agree with Itlnstln, if you don't like the Das III with Blues you probably won't like a Filco with Blues either.

Offline blackdafne

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 January 2010, 07:56:37 »
I tried to hit the keys really off-center on my FKBN104MC/EB

In the worst-case scenario, where you hit the key REALLY off center (like with your nail on the edge) the travel is still smooth, but not just as smooth as it would be if you were closer to the center. I will upload a video tomorrow (gotta go to work soon) and let you know.

BTW, first post, after some months of lurking.
You guys are the worst. Since i discovered geekhack i suddenly want to buy like EVERY keyboard out there, though I clearly don't need anything ATM. It was YOUR fault that I bought a Filco over any crappy membrane keyboard i would.
I love you guys :p

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 January 2010, 16:00:40 »
Quote from: blackdafne;154799
Since i discovered geekhack i suddenly want to buy like EVERY keyboard out there

You're welcome. Just doing what's right.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 January 2010, 19:46:27 »
I don't have a Filco with blue Cherries, but I do have two Cherry G80-3000 with blue Cherries. I have not experience the "roughness" when hitting the keys off-centre. I did experience that with my Dell AT101W and it was not a nice feeling. Maybe you had a bad unit? This could be my case with the Dell too since I did not experience this with my ABS M1.

Offline blackdafne

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 January 2010, 23:00:50 »
I did upload the video, but the quality is truly disappointing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dNpYRTPCzU

The only thing I learned from here was that my Nexus One has a failing camera... I expected a better one.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:32:45 »
Is your keyboard still under warranty? Can you return or exchange it?