Author Topic: Repairing a Steelseries 7G  (Read 4785 times)

Offline meltie

Repairing a Steelseries 7G
« on: Wed, 03 February 2010, 16:03:40 »
Hi,

I just shot myself a Steelseries 7G on ebay. The seller said is broken since it sometimes types weird stuff, but couldn't (or didn't want to) go into detail. It was cheap, I thought maybe I can fix it otherwise I take the keys and throw it out.

Now it sits on my desk. First test showed this:

Every key works, but 5, t, f, v also create another letter when pressed (56, tu, you get the idea).

I opend up the board and found the switches are PCB mounted. Everything looks clean except for some grease from the L shaped enter key. I put it back together again, and now the keys mentioned above work perfectly. WTF? Hooray, it works again, that was easy :-) God knows why, but it works. I thought. At first.

It's even worse now than before. 5, t, f, v are fine, as is the whole alpha part. But what happens now is that the numblock 2 acts as if continously pressed (22222222222222222...), and the arrow keys don't work anymore. Also problems with some other keys down there. Something weird is going on in the lower right part of the board. / x - on the numblock work fine.

Any suggestions what's going on with this board? Can I fix it? If yes, how? Should I arrange with my local church for an exorcism? Or should I just take my keys and put it on ebay again?

Thanks in advance,

meltie

P.S.: Just got a very nice Cherry G80-3000 LSCEU-2 from Keybo.de, very nice thing, but large compared to my recently bought filcos :-)

Offline meltie

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 February 2010, 16:37:28 »
I'll try that.

Offline meltie

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 February 2010, 16:48:58 »
Hm, I plugged the board in again and now everything works. Weird. I got ghosts in my keyboard. I'll observe that further.

Edit: 10 Minutes passed and still working. My hopes are getting up that I got a prettty expensive keyboard for very little money ...
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2010, 17:07:29 by meltie »

Offline meltie

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 February 2010, 18:24:31 »
So far, the original problems seem to be gone. It spooks a very little bit, but considering I use it on an USB-adapter, it behaves like any Cherry I ever used on this adapter. I will try out PS/2 tomorrow, maybe it was only a problem with the adapter (probably not, though).

I already opened it up and everything looks fine. I also used aquakeytest constantly for almost an hour now (cool tool, btw), it doesn't show anything.

I will use this board for the next few days and watch how it develops.