Author Topic: First world problem: Leopold FC980C issues  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Entropia

First world problem: Leopold FC980C issues
« on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 03:18:35 »
I'm considering a Leopold FC980C for home and a FC980M for work. With the latter I have no doubts, apart from the feeling of the Cherry stabilizers. With the former, I'm not very sure if I will fall in love with Topre or not, but in the worst case I could sell it and buy a M. I'm more interested in the black model keyboard. Do you know if this one share the same keycaps as the Realforce keyboards (black caps with black legends)? Are they as thick as the keycaps on the FC980M model (1,5mm). What worries me with purchasing the model with Topres is the damn ABS spacebar. I've considered several possibilities:

- Buy a full set of PBT keycaps. However, they are hard to find for Topre and moreover, the Leopold have some non-standard keycaps sizes. Also, it's not a very appealing idea after spending 250€ on the keyboard. A workaround would be leaving the stock modifiers keycaps and therefore have a two tone keyboard.

- Buy a PBT spacebar. Black would be perfect. But, where are they available? Also, do they match the exact tone and texture of the stock keycaps on the Leopold? The white spacebars for the white case model do not match (I've seen photos) and the result is horrible. Installing a colored spacebar is another idea, but it looks flashy and non sense.

- Buy several replacement ABS spacebars and install them every year or as soon as the keycap starts to shine. The keyboard Company has them, but again: are they the same color of the Leopold caps or are they made for the Realforce? http://www.keyboardco.com/product/topre-space-bar-black.asp

- Put a piece or transparent vinyl over the spacebar to prevent it from getting shiny.

- Wrap the whole key with vinyl, black or maybe carbon fiber. Using heat I could adapt the vinyl to cover the whole key. I don't know if the keycap would get deformed.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2017, 03:28:06 by Entropia »

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Re: First world problem: Leopold FC980C issues
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 03:33:55 »
Honestly, spacebar shine isn't really that big of a deal to me when it's a daily driver for work or something. My realforce has a bit of spacebar shine, but I barely notice. Plus I think it's more obvious on black keyboards than white ones.

PBT spacebars pop up on massdrop every now and again, which may be worth looking at.

Don't overthink the spacebar thing. By the time it gets substantial shine, you'll most likely have several opportunities to get replacement spacebars.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 04:00:22 »
How is putting tape on the spacebar any better than shining it?  JUST for resale value? 

And it isn't like PBT doesn't shine..it just takes a lot longer..

Offline Entropia

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 04:27:51 »
Not tape, but a special type of transparent vinyl with a bit of texture. It wouldn't look perfect though.

I don't know, but if I don't see a clear solution to the spacebar issue, I think I'll end up with 2 MX boards and forget about Topre. Keycaps are important for me. For almost double the price, I would honestly expect a bit on effort on the part of the manufacturer to release a keyboard that has no flaws and that doesn't give me headaches trying to make it right. And it would be a shame, because I'd really like to give Topre switches a chance.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 04:32:07 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topre-Realforce-HHKB-PBT-Blank-Space-bar-Keycaps-For-Capacitive-Keyboard-ZXC-/222325848495?var=&hash=item33c3a739af:m:mSJAYu6sDUfw-fykmNHsjkg

I think I'll ask this seller about their black spacebar. I suppose it's the right width and that the black color is... well black. I suppose there are not many variations of black.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 04:42:15 »
Has anyone tried installing a Topre-to-MX slider like this one? (https://www.shapeways.com/product/T69XQA4Q3/topre-to-mx-slider-v2-0beta?optionId=43194108). Can this be installed on the spacebar? I've heard these sliders change a little how the keys feel, but since the spacebar already feels weird on Topre keyboards, maybe this is not a problem. With this solution, I could buy a set of PBT keycaps from Leopold (keycap set as replacement for FC900R) and then have a perfect matching spacebar (color and texture).

Offline Polymer

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 05:09:56 »
I still don't think you answered the question..

You'd rather put a cover on your spacebar than let it shine because???

PBT shines as well...

And the reason they don't do a PBT spacebar is because they're difficult to do and they come out warped.  Even the very good Massdrop ones are WARPED and you need to take a hairdryer to them.

Now, if your OCD is too great to allow you to get over that, that's fine, but I'd rather take ABS + Topre than MX+PBT any day...at the end of the day switch type becomes far more important than keycap material. 

Offline Entropia

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 05:27:16 »
My old IBM Model M never shinned after many years of use. And how could they make PBT spacebars in the eighties and with all the technology we have now it is impossible to make a piece of plastic that is straight? I would even accept ABS keycaps in a 120€ keyboard, but not a mixture of PBT and ABS keycaps in a 240€ keyboard. That sounds like a joke for a premium keyboard. And it's not my intention to ofend Topre fanboys.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 06:03:56 »
Keep an eye out on massdrop. I can't speak for the black versions of the 980c but if it's close enough to the realforce it should match fine. Getting a T->MX slider to swap isn't a good solution, since it'll use topre stabilizers that will leave you with a cool 0 spacebar replacements to choose from and then you won't be able to fit the oem one either. I'm pretty sure the 980c's gray is much closer than the 660c's gray, and it looks like it should fit fine. The 660c gray looks closer to the Realforce Hi-Pro than anything though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2017, 06:14:52 by hking0036 »
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 06:10:38 »
Has anyone tried installing a Topre-to-MX slider like this one? (https://www.shapeways.com/product/T69XQA4Q3/topre-to-mx-slider-v2-0beta?optionId=43194108). Can this be installed on the spacebar? I've heard these sliders change a little how the keys feel, but since the spacebar already feels weird on Topre keyboards, maybe this is not a problem. With this solution, I could buy a set of PBT keycaps from Leopold (keycap set as replacement for FC900R) and then have a perfect matching spacebar (color and texture).

You better hope that doesn't print the wrong type of plastic.

I don't recommended switching stems, voids your warranty.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 02:24:47 »
Maybe this is a silly question, but why are you so worried about a little shine appearing on your spacebar?

Also, do you wash your hands before you type? The #1 cause of cap wear is dirty hands. Grime's abrasive.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Entropia

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 13:16:53 »
Shiny keycaps makes your keyboard look like worn out, and if it's only one shiny keycap, while the rest are pristine mat (PBT), it looks like a real defect. I wouldn't worry about it in a 10€ Logitech, but it's not the same after spending 250€ on a keyboard.

Anyway, I think I'm discarding the FC980C for now. I cannot be sure since my only experience is a switch tester, but I'm afraid Topre and its design made to bottom out would make my typing tyring and not confortable. I'll go for a FC980M with reds for soft and fluid typing. I've been using blacks for a year now and I like them, although they feel a bit scratchy when typing slowly. I also like how this model sounds with red switches. If the typos don't became a serious problem, I'll stick with the 980M.