Author Topic: OMG! I broke my keyswitch! Can I fix it?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline NeoDiNardo

OMG! I broke my keyswitch! Can I fix it?
« on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 19:17:33 »
I just kicked past my Filco TenKeyLess Cherry Brown Majestouch, and I broke the Print Screen switch. While I never used that button before, I really want to fix it. The keyswitch broke at the stem, part of it is still in the keycap, presumably the part that keeps it firmly attached by its shape, to like snap in. Geez. I could superglue it, but that would suck. Can I just get another switch and replace it, or is that not worth the trouble? Can I just attach it in place? I don't know what to do. Help?!

Offline bigpook

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 19:52:17 »
can you post some pics? It would help to see what the damage is.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 19:55:39 »
Quote from: NeoDiNardo;156344
I just kicked past my Filco TenKeyLess Cherry Brown Majestouch, and I broke the Print Screen switch. While I never used that button before, I really want to fix it. The keyswitch broke at the stem, part of it is still in the keycap, presumably the part that keeps it firmly attached by its shape, to like snap in. Geez. I could superglue it, but that would suck. Can I just get another switch and replace it, or is that not worth the trouble? Can I just attach it in place? I don't know what to do. Help?!

Since I did the same thing with my G81-3000, I'd look at replacing the stem first.  AFAIK, the filcos are soldered on switches, so you can't just pop them in/out with the Ricercar Flex(TM).
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 20:04:42 »
Hey, I resemble that remark.

I removed and soldered a new keyswitch into a Cherry brown board last week. It's almost trivial if you're already comfortable with a soldering iron. If you're not comfortable with a soldering iron, follow ripster's article and get an actual de-soldering iron and desoldering braid.

PM me your mailing address if you want a free non-Cherry black-stemmed Cherry-compatible switch. I have no extra browns, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 February 2010, 20:07:22 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 21:05:19 »
But on the filco don't you have to de-solder all the switches to even replace one of them? Or can you actually remove the switch from the plate and mount another one in its place with out getting at the bottom of the plate? Why not just replace the stem? Or is it the same problem in that you can't open the switch while it is mounted in the plate?

Just wondering just in case it happens to me :)
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 01:03:45 »
Quote from: NeoDiNardo;156344
Can I just get another switch and replace it, or is that not worth the trouble? Can I just attach it in place? I don't know what to do. Help?!

Allow me to introduce to you my favorite donor keys.

sethstorm, medical studies have shown the RicercarFlex to be potentially harmful to your blood pressure. You should talk to your doctor first before starting on that regimen.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline NeoDiNardo

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 03:31:41 »
Funny donor keys, but I think it is its own donor key, I mean, who uses this key?

I could try and get a pic from my cell phone, if anyone wants one PM me an email. Not sure how to host pics online, never got into image shacks and such. Though i do know how to upload to my Facebook. And Email it.

Really though, its like this. The brown stem is broke diaganally, and as if someone sliced off its head, the plus sign bit of it. at the lower end of the diagonal break, it is just flush with the base of the brown switch part. it rises half way up. A clean break. The other brown bit is still very much in the keycap. I could fix with a dab of supergule if the glue will hold. While I could not type on it really, it would hold it in place perhaps. I don't use the print screen button anyway. Its just the thought of my plus one hundred dollar keyboard being tarnished that bothers me, so not my first choice anyway.

looking at the keyswitch, there seems to be no way to open it up to just replace the stem. Where would I get just the stem anyway. So I would need to find a Cherry Brown Keyswitch and sodder it on. Don't even know if you can buy em. I will not desodder all of them just for one keyswitch I never depress, that ain't happening, so tell me your all joking on that one.

My dad could help me sodder it, so the real question becomes can I really  find a keyswitch in Cherry Brown. I would buy a Cherry Brown switch if it did not run more than 10 dollars.

Thanks for the offer for the free keyswitch there, I will PM you. I guess that would be the way to go. It will keep it on my board at least. I never use the damn thing. I just don't want a big hole in my Keyboard.

What does the Print Screen Button do anyway? I never printed by it, so I guess I don't need it. Plus I dont even own a printer, no plans to really. Come to think of it, I never use any on that row. The pause button and the scroll lock. I never use em. Not even sure what they do. We could stand to lose those windows buttons too.

And thanks for all the help everyone! I was going to email elite keyboards, but I was like you know what, these guys here are faster and better at this stuff. You guys are invaluable.

BTW, the Browns are ok in the long run. I find typing lying down in bed not the best choice for the light keyswitch. lazy hand mode makes too many feather light typos. Better to go with blacks for that. But when I get going on a typing a story or whatever, it is very nice to have the light keyswitch. I still bottom out half the time, I think I have adapted a bit. It use to be all the time. Also, I still want to try the blues, but there have been times when I was like typing and my roomate was sleeping, and I was gratefull for the quiet of the browns. Still the best all arounder really. Browns are nice. Course that's just a theory, I have yet to try others. But I can imagine.

Offline NeoDiNardo

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 03:49:53 »
I love it how ripster has his guide of parts amd bits (of the keyswitch) lying on lego plates in the background.

Offline NeoDiNardo

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 03:55:43 »
Speaking of Chuck Norris,

Did you hear he visited the Virgin Islands? Now they are just called the Islands.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 07:53:56 »
Print Screen, these days, is used to capture screen shots (in Windows, anyway).  In Windows 7, they have the "Snipping Tool," which I find much more useful.  The Snipping Tool is similar to Snag-It.