Author Topic: 99 percent alcohol made pcb sticky  (Read 11940 times)

Offline Tally810

99 percent alcohol made pcb sticky
« on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 12:25:24 »
So I just recently bought a bottle of 99 isopropyl  to clean all of my PCBs and when I cleaned the first one ito put a super sticky film on the pcb.  Anyone know why this happened and how to get it off?

Offline robbles

Re: 99 percent alcohol made pcb sticky
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 12:39:15 »
The alcohol could have corroded the top layer of the PCB, causing it to become sticky. 99% is a really high percentage.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 12:41:48 »
Yea, that's way too high. You should use 70%.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 12:46:04 »
could also be flux that got spread over the pcb as you were cleaning.. that stuff is pretty sticky
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 13:24:59 »
could also be flux that got spread over the pcb as you were cleaning.. that stuff is pretty sticky

I think this is the answer, isopropyl shouldn't destroy a pcb, I've used 99% in the past without issues.

Are you sure you didn't use nail polish remover or something acetone based?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 14:18:04 »
What do you use to apply it?

Can confirm with flux being spread, happened to me lol. In my case, I used a single q tip for the whole board and ended up just spreading flux...

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 15:47:31 »
99% is for pussies.

If you've cleaned it weirdly, you might've spread the dirty stuff around rather than get it off the board. Alternatively, you might've dissolves and re-spread part of the soldermask, but it must've been rather weak stuff, because I haven't had any issue with analytical grade iPoOH so far.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Tally810

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 16:56:35 »

I think this is the answer, isopropyl shouldn't destroy a pcb, I've used 99% in the past without issues.

Naw it was definatly 99 percent isopropyl but it makes sense that I spread the solder resin around making Ithe sticky.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 16:58:13 »
The alcohol could have corroded the top layer of the PCB, causing it to become sticky. 99% is a really high percentage.
Hmm really? I did my research and many very reputable members of the community said to only use 93 percent or higher and never lower.  Seems I didn't get all of the solder residue off and that made it sticky from what other people are telling me.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 16:59:57 »
99% is for pussies.

If you've cleaned it weirdly, you might've spread the dirty stuff around rather than get it off the board. Alternatively, you might've dissolves and re-spread part of the soldermask, but it must've been rather weak stuff, because I haven't had any issue with analytical grade iPoOH so far.
Well it's a new leeku pcb so I think you are right about just spreading the solder around.  What do you use usually to wipe it with?

Offline Tally810

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 17:01:48 »
What do you use to apply it?

Can confirm with flux being spread, happened to me lol. In my case, I used a single q tip for the whole board and ended up just spreading flux...
I used a single q tip as you said lol.

Offline keytohopiness

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 17:04:22 »
That would be like detailing your car with a single Q-tip.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 17:08:18 »
That would be like detailing your car with a single Q-tip.
I hear ya but it "looked" to be doing the job until I felt how sticky it was.  Then I stopped being scared that I might mess something up.

Offline need

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 17:13:31 »
"dissolved solder mask/top layer" - haha this makes me laugh.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 17:14:40 »
"dissolved solder mask" - haha this makes me laugh.
Maybe on a ****ty pcb? Not on a leeku.  Seems I figured the problem tho. Thanks guys

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 17:26:15 »
Yeah it's just the left-over flux getting smeared over the PCB.  Until it's mostly cleaned off, the surface is a bit sticky.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 20:49:22 »
As others have said... it is dissolved flux left on the board. Its normal but if you want to keep cleaning switch to a cotton ball or paper towel and keep wiping.
-Dana

Offline Tally810

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 21:10:42 »
Yeah it's just the left-over flux getting smeared over the PCB.  Until it's mostly cleaned off, the surface is a bit sticky.
Yea makes sense thanks I've has 4 PCBs laying around dirty and decided to finally clean them and this happened lol

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline Tally810

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 21:11:17 »
Yea makes sense thanks I've has 4 PCBs laying around dirty and decided to finally clean them and this happened lol

Will do that next.  Thanks

Offline need

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 21:44:03 »
You won't be able to clean the residue off completely with cotton buds, but people suggests rinsing under water and scrub with a toothbrush. Hair dry it and let it sit under the sun.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 21:45:45 »
You won't be able to clean the residue off completely with cotton buds, but people suggests rinsing under water and scrub with a toothbrush. Hair dry it and let it sit under the sun.
The pcb? I think I'll pass on that one

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 22:41:30 »
I've had pretty good results with cotton balls, just clean a few times over the same areas with fresh cotton balls.  Going in circular motion helps with reducing the amount of cotton strands being stuck in small parts.  I've tried Kim Wipes, as they were well-regarded and recommended here before, but those just ball up and leave bits of fiber on the PCB, so I prefer large cotton balls.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 22:56:26 »
I've had pretty good results with cotton balls, just clean a few times over the same areas with fresh cotton balls.  Going in circular motion helps with reducing the amount of cotton strands being stuck in small parts.  I've tried Kim Wipes, as they were well-regarded and recommended here before, but those just ball up and leave bits of fiber on the PCB, so I prefer large cotton balls.
Sounds good man thanks will give it a shot

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 12:16:45 »

I use a toothbrush that I dip in the isopropyl to clean pcbs, it gets the job done and doesn't leave any fibers left over.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline robbles

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 12:22:37 »
Rather than making a new thread, gonna hijack this one real quick. Does isopropyl work for cleaning rubber domes? Or is that something I should use warm dish soap for? Thanks.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 12:30:15 »
Rather than making a new thread, gonna hijack this one real quick. Does isopropyl work for cleaning rubber domes? Or is that something I should use warm dish soap for? Thanks.

I think isopropyl can damage some rubbers but you'd need to soak them to have an issue, given that it can cause damage I'd say that warm water is the best answer.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 12:47:27 »

I use a toothbrush that I dip in the isopropyl to clean pcbs, it gets the job done and doesn't leave any fibers left over.

Doesn't the toothbrush just shift the disolved flux around the PCB and leaves a lot there, just moved around?  That's what happens when I try to use a flat toothbrush.  Cotton balls pick up the flux and keep it in the fibers.  I can see a brush being useful at the end to pick up stray fibers from cotton balls.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 13:17:23 »
Doesn't the toothbrush just shift the disolved flux around the PCB and leaves a lot there, just moved around?  That's what happens when I try to use a flat toothbrush.  Cotton balls pick up the flux and keep it in the fibers.  I can see a brush being useful at the end to pick up stray fibers from cotton balls.

No, the toothbrush does wick away the flux, probably not as well as cotton does but it works well enough for me. In the end using a cotton ball first and doing the final pass/ clean up with a toothbrush may be the way to go.

I also have luck using trimmed paint brushes to clean around microcontrollers.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 21:14:43 »
i still just use q-tips and a fingernail... a beer and some good music. Slow but meditative. I like the toothbrush idea, i'll have to try that.
-Dana

Offline E3E

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 21:49:24 »

Though I wouldn't recommend it, I've even used acetone before just to test the strength of a mask. Didn't do a thing to it. I think the masks are a sort of epoxy in most cases, and they don't react with common cleaners like alcohol or even acetone.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 01:48:32 »
I don't use acetone or isopropyl because they are far more expensive than methylated spiritsspirits which I have used for the past few years to clean pcb's with tooth brush. I put about 2 shot's worth in a cup and then scrub the board down thoroughly, the resin will still be in the spirits because its just a solvent, so when it flashes off it will leave the resin behind which is sticky.

You need to rinse it and give it a few passes with a toothbrush with new alcohol. Then rinse again and once its all flashed off and dried I like to give it a scrub down with a dry toothbrush to get rid of any flaky thin residue. Works a treat, do it to everything, and all the boards I build

Pack of toothbrushes is like $2 and 4L of methylated spirits is like $5

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 11:04:59 »
I use a 3/4" artist's horsehair brush.  It's stiff enough to clean and soft enough not to damage anything. I use 99% isopropyl.  Now if you spilled something gunky and your cleaning off root beer or something, the 70% alcohol will probably work better.  The water will evaporate fast enough where it will not cause a problem.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 13:01:40 »
I use a 3/4" artist's horsehair brush.  It's stiff enough to clean and soft enough not to damage anything. I use 99% isopropyl.  Now if you spilled something gunky and your cleaning off root beer or something, the 70% alcohol will probably work better.  The water will evaporate fast enough where it will not cause a problem.
Yea it was no spill.  I just had 4 boards laying around that had solder residue on them and was gonna spiff them up.  Once I get some time I'll try some of the suggestions I've gotten in this thread.  Thanks for the advice

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 13:12:59 »
By the way, cleaning old well-dried flux is usually noticeably more work than cleaning freshly soldered joints (within a few days of soldering). 

Offline Tally810

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 13:56:18 »
By the way, cleaning old well-dried flux is usually noticeably more work than cleaning freshly soldered joints (within a few days of soldering).
Yea makes sense :(

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 16:54:32 »
Yea makes sense :(

I tend to just blob on a bunch of alcohol and let it soak for a bit. Seems to work well enough.
-Dana

Offline Wingklip

• I am the one the one the one the one the one
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 19:40:01 »
99% is for pussies.

I use drain cleaner

Jk
If you 1v1 me in a cage fight I will use an AK-74 for ranged and an IBM model F 122 for melee

Offline Tally810

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 19:44:09 »
99% is for pussies.

I use drain cleaner

Jk
Man 4 realzg

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 20:51:54 »
I don't use acetone or isopropyl because they are far more expensive than methylated spiritsspirits which I have used for the past few years to clean pcb's with tooth brush. I put about 2 shot's worth in a cup and then scrub the board down thoroughly, the resin will still be in the spirits because its just a solvent, so when it flashes off it will leave the resin behind which is sticky.

You need to rinse it and give it a few passes with a toothbrush with new alcohol. Then rinse again and once its all flashed off and dried I like to give it a scrub down with a dry toothbrush to get rid of any flaky thin residue. Works a treat, do it to everything, and all the boards I build

Pack of toothbrushes is like $2 and 4L of methylated spirits is like $5
Nice try jaffers. No one is ever gonna use denatured other than you. Lol

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 20:55:44 »
I use drain cleaner
Jk

I like the way drain cleaner tastes..