Author Topic: Alpha Keycaps - My keycap making log  (Read 2884 times)

Offline yohanskee

• * Maker
  • There is no escape from enemy who lives within
    • Alpha Keycaps Instagram
Alpha Keycaps - My keycap making log
« on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 02:49:17 »
Hi everyone, I started to make my own keycaps in January 2017. I learn a lot from other keycaps maker from here, geekhack, and other keycaps maker in my country Indonesia.

Let me tell you my story first.
It's very hard for me at the beginning because I don't know anything about sculpting, resin casting, and mold making. I learn from some videos on Youtube and I recommend video from DOOMCAPS because it's pretty clear for me. I bought my first resin and silicone rubber at local chemical store in my hometown and start my journey. I can't find brands like SmoothOn, Alumilite, and Polytek in my hometown, even in my country so I use cheap one at first and learn. Fortunately, I could find Sculpey and my mother already have some tools that I need to start practicing sculpting.

Mold making for me is not the biggest difficulty. I could make pretty good mold on my first attempt. Resin casting was my enemy. I found so many difficulties when I cast my resin. At first, because I use cheap resin, my keycaps were tacky/sticky. It smells very bad. I can't stand for it anymore and search another resin. That's where I found other keycap makers from Indonesia at facebook group of mechanical keyboard. They are very supportive. They teach me and told me many important things and recommended me to try a brand of resin from Taiwan.

After so many try and errors, I finally capable to make pretty good keycaps (imo haha). I have plan to sell my keycaps in the future and I find "Alpha" word is pretty awesome. It similar with my brother's name and it has good meaning, "the first". So here it is, Alpha Keycaps by yohanskee. My first "serious" project is topre blank keycaps. Here's some image of it.

161712-0
161714-1
161716-2
161718-3

Please give me some feedback about my keycaps. Thank you very much. I'll try to be active in posting everything new here in this post and honestly, I'm still not familiar with this kind post, reply, thread, etc.
TGR 910 CE | Singa R1 | HHKB Pro 2 | IBM Model M

Alpha Keycaps - Making Stuff Thread
Alpha Keycaps - Sale Thread

Offline yuppie

Re: Alpha Keycaps - My keycap making log
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 09:32:13 »
They don't look too bad, more pictures are needed with better lighting. How'd you do the two colors on the yellow and white? It'd be good to see pictures through the process, step 1, 2, 3 and so on. Keep it up!
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline yohanskee

• * Maker
  • There is no escape from enemy who lives within
    • Alpha Keycaps Instagram
Re: Alpha Keycaps - My keycap making log
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 20:09:43 »
They don't look too bad, more pictures are needed with better lighting. How'd you do the two colors on the yellow and white? It'd be good to see pictures through the process, step 1, 2, 3 and so on. Keep it up!

Just double shot technique, thanks for asking. Another shot will be posted soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TGR 910 CE | Singa R1 | HHKB Pro 2 | IBM Model M

Alpha Keycaps - Making Stuff Thread
Alpha Keycaps - Sale Thread