Author Topic: Just got a ~$ynth..How do I use it?  (Read 6498 times)

Offline Komatoz

• Click Clackity Away~
    • Komatoz Kaps
Just got a ~$ynth..How do I use it?
« on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 20:53:39 »
Super dumb question.

But how do I use the synth?

Been making molds and stuff with normal caps, but finally got a synth, and now I dont even know how to make the mold using the synth itself. I am just confused LOL

I tried R1 sizes of DSA, DCS, SA, OEM, and Cherry caps but they basically all dont fit on the synth, even just a little.
The cherry DOES fit perfectly, but it doesnt stay flush as Binge said it should be in his first look video..

I tried cutting/filing down the supports inside the cap (nearly completely) but it still doesnt sit flush.

Can anyone advise me how I am supposed to use the synth for molds/casts? o.O
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 March 2017, 00:13:33 by Komatoz »
Reddit: /u/Komatoz

Offline xiaoxuesheng

Re: Just got a ~$ynth..How do I use it?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 22:18:41 »
You can sell it to me

Offline hadekele

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 23:45:29 »
Hey!

What I do is I stick the synth down to a lego base plate, and build a tower around it. That will act as my mold box.

You can either put a key on the synth and sculpt on it that way, or, sculpt on the synth itself.

Once you're done sculpting,

You put the synth in the mold box, mix your silicone up, and pour it in slowly without trying to get as much air in as possible.

Wait for it to cure.

That's the mold part.

Pop the synth out when it's done curing, clean up the mold.

Lube the synth up really good with mold release. Put the base plate in the mold, pour resin into the stem hole until it is almost into the rectangular part, then you stick the stem in.

Wait for that to cure, then voila.

It will take a lot of trial and error, trust me.
I advise reading all the threads you can, and watch the livestream video of the synth.

Offline Komatoz

• Click Clackity Away~
    • Komatoz Kaps
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 00:12:11 »
You can sell it to me

Lol..

Hey!

What I do is I stick the synth down to a lego base plate, and build a tower around it. That will act as my mold box.

You can either put a key on the synth and sculpt on it that way, or, sculpt on the synth itself.

Once you're done sculpting,

You put the synth in the mold box, mix your silicone up, and pour it in slowly without trying to get as much air in as possible.

Wait for it to cure.

That's the mold part.

Pop the synth out when it's done curing, clean up the mold.

Lube the synth up really good with mold release. Put the base plate in the mold, pour resin into the stem hole until it is almost into the rectangular part, then you stick the stem in.

Wait for that to cure, then voila.

It will take a lot of trial and error, trust me.
I advise reading all the threads you can, and watch the livestream video of the synth.

Thank you for that indepth information!

I am stuck on the mold because all my keycaps that I own dont seem to sit flush on the synth.

I tried R1 sizes of DSA, DCS, SA, OEM, and Cherry caps but they basically all dont fit on the synth, even just a little.
The cherry DOES fit perfectly, but it doesnt stay flush as Binge said it should be in his first look video..

I tried cutting/filing down the supports inside the cap (nearly completely) but it still doesnt sit flush.

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 March 2017, 00:14:06 by Komatoz »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 00:17:22 »
Thank you for that indepth information!

I am stuck on the mold because all my keycaps that I own dont seem to sit flush on the synth.

The synth was designed around cherry profile, the cherry pro should fit flush. Do you have a picture of what you're talking about?

I can say for sure that DSA won't sit flush on a synth but the others you listed should work.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline hadekele

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 00:18:34 »
If the caps still have the sprue marks, I found mine did not fit perfectly, I took a knife and cut the sprues off so there is no bump, but just the walls connecting instead. I hope that makes sense.

Also, if there is a gap between the cap and the synth, you can just fill it up with putty or something when you're molding.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 00:26:46 »
Here's DCS sitting on my rejected v1.5 synth.

161927-0

If the caps still have the sprue marks, I found mine did not fit perfectly, I took a knife and cut the sprues off so there is no bump, but just the walls connecting instead. I hope that makes sense.

Also, if there is a gap between the cap and the synth, you can just fill it up with putty or something when you're molding.

The synth's walls are thicker than a standard cherry profile cap so the spruce marks could allow silicone to seep into the void left between the cap and the synth but afaik that hasn't been an issue people have brought up.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Komatoz

• Click Clackity Away~
    • Komatoz Kaps
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 22:04:23 »
The seller of the Synth and I deduced that it is probably an imitation because no matter how we looked at it and tried, nothing worked :/

(i dont know how to attach pics on geekhack sorry!)

Here are pics of the "synth"

http://imgur.com/a/l885s

Offline hadekele

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 22:53:10 »
The seller of the Synth and I deduced that it is probably an imitation because no matter how we looked at it and tried, nothing worked :/

Looks like 1.5 to me.
I have the exact same one.
I got it from TechKeys, apparently some have a problem with resin sticking to them. The guy sold it to me at a discounted cost.
In my thread there are some pics of me trying to use it.
Mold Release 200 works wonders though, and I've seem to get decent casts with it over vaseline.

Offline Komatoz

• Click Clackity Away~
    • Komatoz Kaps
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 00:33:15 »

Looks like 1.5 to me.
I got it from TechKeys, apparently some have a problem with resin sticking to them. The guy sold it to me at a discounted cost.
Mold Release 200 works wonders though, and I've seem to get decent casts with it over vaseline.

Ah, did v1.5 have a lack of makers mark?

Also, its not that I have a problem with resin (i didnt even get to that yet before giving up) I cant even put on a cap to make the top half of my mold because my caps dont sit flush.

I even completely removed the inner supports of the Cherry cap, but still didnt fit :/

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 01:47:43 »
That doesn't look different than the v1.5 "dud" synths, they were rejected because the factory producing them did a pretty terrible job when it came to finishing and tolerances. The v1.5 doesn't have the "makers mark" it was replaced by the half circle anchor point you see on the synth.

I know a few of the duds were sold to people begging to buy them but they were never meant to enter circulation. It's unfortunate but I think you purchased one of these duds from someone without the knowledge that there could be issues when it comes to using it to make keycaps.

Best advice I can offer is to sand down the outside of the stem on the cherry cap you want to use, that should make it fit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 March 2017, 01:49:47 by Joey Quinn »

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 19:46:57 »
My understanding is you sculpt directly on the ~Synth you don't use a keycap along with the sculpt.

Look at the images and videos here:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78551.0

Here are some videos that may b of help.

I really hope the new version manifests soon as I really want to get my hands on one myself.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 02:37:03 »
My understanding is you sculpt directly on the ~Synth you don't use a keycap along with the sculpt.

You can use it either way but based on the artisans using synths generally speaking that is true, casting blanks is really the only reason to put a keycap on the synth.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 05:06:52 »

Looks like 1.5 to me.

Ah, did v1.5 have a lack of makers mark?

Also, its not that I have a problem with resin (i didnt even get to that yet before giving up) I cant even put on a cap to make the top half of my mold because my caps dont sit flush.

I even completely removed the inner supports of the Cherry cap, but still didnt fit :/

Honestly it sounds like you need to remove more material. I've used Leopold PBT and EnjoyPBT caps for blanks, and had to remove 3x supports from underneath.

Any pics of the underside of the cap you're using by chance?

Offline cribbit

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 16:36:04 »
Are there files available to make my own Synth? Are they viable to make with a CNC or do you need to mold them?
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 18:09:00 »
Are there files available to make my own Synth? Are they viable to make with a CNC or do you need to mold them?

Nope, it's a private I.P. They are also reworking the ~$ynth for a new release if I understand correctly. We have to wait and it's rough but R&D and production take time, plus this is a labor of love not a job so the persons involved have jobs and family that come first.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 23:42:59 »

There aren't and there's no plan to release the synth files.

Nope, it's a private I.P. They are also reworking the ~$ynth for a new release if I understand correctly. We have to wait and it's rough but R&D and production take time, plus this is a labor of love not a job so the persons involved have jobs and family that come first.

The biggest hold on the synth release right now is finding a factory to regularly produce them that can meet our (HWS, Techkeys, and myself) quality expectations and tolerances. The synth v1.5 design is done and v2 won't be started for a while, I can't really say what the v2 changes will be but I can say they'll be pretty cool.  :thumb:

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 00:41:59 »

There aren't and there's no plan to release the synth files.

The biggest hold on the synth release right now is finding a factory to regularly produce them that can meet our (HWS, Techkeys, and myself) quality expectations and tolerances. The synth v1.5 design is done and v2 won't be started for a while, I can't really say what the v2 changes will be but I can say they'll be pretty cool.  :thumb:

Well as soon as your able to get them produced I'll be one of many in line.  I want to try my hand at keycaps. I will probably invest in some blanks till the ~$ynth is available to get some practice.