Author Topic: 45g or 55g HHKB opinions?  (Read 3587 times)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
45g or 55g HHKB opinions?
« on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 13:11:12 »
I know it is subjective but I would like your opinion on which is better? I have a Realforce 87u 55g on order to dome swap. I have hit that stage where I need to sell some stuff. Deciding if I should sell an existing MX HHKB I have or cancel my order and stick with 45g. I plan on dome swapping and then reselling. My current weight on both of my MX boards is 62g and 45g on my HHKB. I will most likely sell the MX HHKB and do the swap. Just interested in opinions. I will narrow my 3 boards down to 2 though. HHKB is the best for work and travel. I have put a lot of money into it so far though. It is still not as sturdy feeling as some of my other boards.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: 45g or 55g HHKB opinions?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:06:16 »
most people seem to prefer 55g RFs

personally i think 45g or lighter is the best kind of topre
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:20:07 »

Personally I think 45g or lighter is the best kind of topre.

I think that I will type on the RF for a few days before I decide to take it apart. I do not mind the 45g but I am just super interested in doing the swap.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 05:58:39 »
I have only used 45g in HHKB, but I prefer other keyboards with heavier switches (e.g. MX clears, BS), so I've got a feeling I would prefer 55g.

Some people who have dome-modded their HHKB to 55g have regretted the decision.  Perhaps there is that special something about a 45g HHKB?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 07:34:54 »
I used 55g for a long time in my HHKB, but recently switched it back to 45g.  It "didn't feel quite right" after using my metal plate Topres again for a bit.  I actually love 55g in my Realforce though, so it's not me disliking 55g (I also like buckling springs so it's not a general weight preference).  I think it's the combination of the plastic plate softening the landing combined with the heavier dome softening how hard/quickly I squash the dome, ultimately making it feel less snappy/tactile.  Though it should also be noted that I have a Type-S, not sure how/if the silencing rings affect that.  Also I'm not saying 55g in the HHKB is actually bad, just that I prefer 45g for it.

Though in any case my recommendation for you would be to keep the 55g RF.  You might find that you like really like the 55g RF anyway even if you don't like 55g HHKB.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 June 2017, 07:39:00 by a_ak57 »

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 09:42:55 »
I've only ever tried 55g at a meetup, but it felt a little strange to me.

There wasn't a huge difference from 45g, but enough to be noticed. It just wasn't my cup of tea, but a lot of people seem to like it!

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 10:31:25 »
Obviously you are going to get a ton of varying opinions about this and it really boils down to preference. For example, I disagree with Puddsy... I think 55g Topre is the best kind of Topre.

That said, I agree with what a_ak57 said. I agree that the 55g plate RF feel vs the 55g PCB HHKB feel is very different and that the RF metal plate has a big effect.

I love my RF 87U 55g. Once I bought my HHKB Pro 2 and liked it, I thought about dome swapping. I tried a friend's 55g HHKB and thought it was ok. It was not as big of a difference that I thought it would be. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't have that amazing "endgame" feeling either. Anyway, things like the lack the arrow cluster eventually turned me away from my HHKB so looking to dome swap was no longer on the table.

As rowdy said, some people who have done the mod have reverted back. But the only way you are going to see if you like it is if you try it (someone else's or just try the mod yourself). You can always put the domes back in your RF.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 12:55:03 »
If you want 45g in an HHKB I'd say go with a Pro 1, I'm not a fan of 45g Pro 2s so I swapped mine to 55g and love it.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 22:49:51 »
I've only ever tried 55g at a meetup, but it felt a little strange to me.

There wasn't a huge difference from 45g, but enough to be noticed. It just wasn't my cup of tea, but a lot of people seem to like it!

To really assess the difference, you'd probably need to use both for a while - a week or two at the least.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 07:08:02 »

Personally I think 45g or lighter is the best kind of topre.

I think that I will type on the RF for a few days before I decide to take it apart. I do not mind the 45g but I am just super interested in doing the swap.

definitely! That's the fun part (albeit, a bit tedious). I prefer the 45g if only because I'm a weakling and can't type on 55g Topre for long.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline ndumdr

• Jung Wheein
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 21:06:37 »
I prefer 45g, only because I already find MX blues exhausting to type on.

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 02:18:47 »
I use 55g in my HHKB and I absolutely love it. Way snappier. Took a few days to adjust to the extra weight, but it's so satisfying to type on. I've never tried a RF, so I have nothing to compare it to. All I know is that 45g was too light and 55g is just right.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk