Author Topic: Looking for beginner sculpting help/guides/info.  (Read 1348 times)

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
Looking for beginner sculpting help/guides/info.
« on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 20:07:34 »
I've found a ton of info on molding and casting but I'm finding far less info on sculpting.

Things I'm looking to find/learn:

1. best tools for the job and best or most reliable brands.

2. best clays to use (I'm hoping there is something at hobby lobby I can at least get cheap to practice).

3. practices and techniques for actual sculpting, I know it's an art form but I'm sure there are some basics to learn.

4. storage and preservation methods.

Any other advise you have or care to give.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Re: Looking for beginner sculpting help/guides/info.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 21:26:50 »
1. There are no "best" tools for sculpting. Honestly you can use whatever you have around you. Most professionals use handmade tools that work exactly how they like them, ground down from pieces of metal with handles of various materials. Mine are steel with wood handles that have been shaped and lacquered with polyurethane.

2. Sculpey is a good place to start. I use super sculpey firm, as it holds details easier than the regular super sculpey. It's easily found online or at Michaels. Monster Clay is also popular, as well as green stuff if you want to work with it. Honestly you can use chewing gums and sculpt with a rusty hatchet if that's what works for you. Sculpting is very individual.

3. If you want to learn how to sculpt, there are some resources online as well as courses. The absolute best way to learn how to sculpt is to just sculpt something every day. Look online at photos and try to mimic what you see. You'll be amazed how much your sculpting improves when you actually just sculpt something every day. Basics are easily learned online. If you want a tip, just roll a bunch of balls into the general shape of what you want to sculpt and go from there.

4. Super Sculpey stores well, but they aren't twinkies (kidding). Once you finish a sculpt you bake it (I torch mine) and then keep it somewhere safe once I've made molds. If you break it, it's gone.

Sculpting is something that you can honestly learn all on your own without any formal schooling (although it helps). Just sculpt what you see.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 00:32:23 »
Thanks. Hobbylobby is all I have here locally but turns out they carry Sculpey products so I'll go grab some in the morning and give it a go. Plus they always have the 40% off single item coupon on their app. I have some basic mini spatulas for smoothing greenstuff on miniatures so that should work to start with and anything else I need I can make with the dremmel and steel wire.

I don't want to put sculpting clay in the oven so I wonder if a hot air gun will work for hardening the clay when done? I would imagine it would since I can melt solder paste with it, just not as efficient. I'll get a cheap toaster oven if I find it an enjoyable hobby.

Offline hadekele

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 01:25:23 »
Thanks. Hobbylobby is all I have here locally but turns out they carry Sculpey products so I'll go grab some in the morning and give it a go. Plus they always have the 40% off single item coupon on their app. I have some basic mini spatulas for smoothing greenstuff on miniatures so that should work to start with and anything else I need I can make with the dremmel and steel wire.

I don't want to put sculpting clay in the oven so I wonder if a hot air gun will work for hardening the clay when done? I would imagine it would since I can melt solder paste with it, just not as efficient. I'll get a cheap toaster oven if I find it an enjoyable hobby.

I've went over sculpey firm with a heat gun. Harden's just fine! You can even burn the clay if you're not careful.