Author Topic: [IC] GMK Fresh Xerus  (Read 5911 times)

Offline TheNamesTy45

[IC] GMK Fresh Xerus
« on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 22:28:23 »
Hey All,

I love the look of Ubuntu's purple and orange, and I wanted to share a set I had stuck in my head for a few days that is based off of the looks of a fresh Ubuntu install.

This set would be in the standard Cherry profile, and would require custom colors across the board. I did a few mock-ups like the above (just with fewer keys) on a different thread that include colors from the GMK Swatch on Keyboard Layout Editor, but it brightened up the colors far too much. I really enjoy the contrast between the relaxing dark purple and vibrant orange. This could be a crazy, "Ty, that looks awful." set, but I genuinely enjoy the look of this, and I hope some other folks do as well.

Edit:

Added updated images with a few more caps included.

Included a few renders from Blender. I used a plugin developed by the Reddit user kdem007 from the following link: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4tm7b3/i_made_a_plugin_to_easily_import_and_render/. Kdem007 if you ever see this, thank you very much for making such a useful tool!
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 March 2017, 20:06:13 by TheNamesTy45 »

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
[IC] GMK Fresh Xerus
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 22:47:35 »
Pretty similar to Skidata+. Might have a hard time getting this going as a result since others have essentially this color way already.

Edit- the dark color on the alphas is purple?
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 March 2017, 01:23:31 by Bambino »

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] GMK Fresh Xerus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 23:30:34 »
Hey All,

I love the look of Ubuntu's purple and orange, and I wanted to share a set I had stuck in my head for a few days that is based off of the looks of a fresh Ubuntu install.

Show Image

This set would be in the standard Cherry profile, and would require custom colors across the board. I did a few mock-ups like the above (just with fewer keys) on a different thread that include colors from the GMK Swatch on Keyboard Layout Editor, but it brightened up the colors far too much. I really enjoy the contrast between the relaxing dark purple and vibrant orange. This could be a crazy, "Ty, that looks awful." set, but I genuinely enjoy the look of this, and I hope some other folks do as well.

I am a fan of purple. That being said, I am not sure how this would translate onto an actual GMK set. It seems like the purple and orange would clash pretty bad.

Offline SpareWalrus

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 00:46:16 »
I quite like these colors together. Would buy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 01:14:39 »
One of the most exciting sets i've seen lately.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 07:43:26 »
Pretty similar to Skidata+. Might have a hard time getting this going as a result since others have essentially this color way already.

Edit- the dark color on the alphas is purple?

Hey, you're correct, the dark color is a dark shade of purple.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 22:38:50 »
I added a very rough render of the keycap set. Go easy on me, this is my first time using Blender, and it was only possible because the Reddit user Kdem007 made such an amazing tool (linked above in edits to original post). I know that it's not perfect, but hope it gives a better idea of the set.

edit: two renders added. I know that the arrow keys and caps lock key are displaying incorrectly, but I just wanted to give a quick and dirty visual.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 March 2017, 22:43:38 by TheNamesTy45 »

Offline SpareWalrus

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 00:33:02 »
I added a very rough render of the keycap set. Go easy on me, this is my first time using Blender, and it was only possible because the Reddit user Kdem007 made such an amazing tool (linked above in edits to original post). I know that it's not perfect, but hope it gives a better idea of the set.

edit: two renders added. I know that the arrow keys and caps lock key are displaying incorrectly, but I just wanted to give a quick and dirty visual.
The renders look great! Really hoping this set happens now, good work :)

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 16:10:36 »

The renders look great! Really hoping this set happens now, good work :)

Appreciate the kind words! I'm hoping that this set can drum up some interest because I really would love a set myself. I definitely recognize that because of the colorway that it may be difficult to get a large following, but I've got my fingers crossed.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 19:00:56 »
As this set hasn't seemed to garner a ton of interest, I want to see if there are any suggestions to be had from the community. Different profile? Different supported layouts? More info needed? Or is the colorway just not working?

Totally open to any ideas coming in, and I appreciate you taking the time to take a peek at a crazy idea from my head!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 00:11:55 »
I think you might have good luck marketing this one as a DCS set and not GMK. I think it's a really interesting colorway, but I don't think it's a $140 interesting colorway.

Could run it with cherry legends, and then a few neat custom ones too.

Dunno how jazzed everyone would be about DCS, but my bet is that there's no production backlog, and therefore a quick turnaround on what could be a very good budget set.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 00:41:36 »
It's probably going to be a colorway that takes a bit longer for people to warm up to and possibly one that only really ever finds a niche audience.  If you can tie it in to something like a cartoon or such, it can definitely help interest levels a bit.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 00:53:19 »
TacticalStache, You're hitting on something I was starting to think. I've been toying with the idea of running this on something a little cheaper than a GMK set. DCS would totally make sense in my head. Not sure if there is a huge difference in price on DCS and DSA when running a custom set because if they're similar in price, I was thinking that this could be an interesting DSA set.

Niomosy, I agree with you. It's definitely a niche colorway, and it is tied into a more niche idea being derived from Ubuntu's stock colors. I'll definitely check to see if it could be tied into a cartoon. One that I personally loved as a kid and think could have potential is Spyro.

Thanks, both of you! Definitely gave me some new ideas to sit on. I'll probably start shifting this set towards being either DCS / DSA and use Spyro as the mascot instead of Ubuntu's Xenial Xerus.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 00:59:37 »
Running it DCS also has the added benefit of SP's incredibly low MOQs. I think it's like 25 or 50 sets to at least get it run.

Make a nice render of all the keys and post it to reddit.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 01:29:59 »
Running it DCS also has the added benefit of SP's incredibly low MOQs. I think it's like 25 or 50 sets to at least get it run.

Make a nice render of all the keys and post it to reddit.

Didn't even realize that the MOQ was so significantly lower with SP.

Working on new renders. Trying to see if I can stay within the colors that SP already has in ABS (RDE for purple and ON for orange) without using any custom colors to keep costs down too.

The orange was almost dead on, but the purple got much brighter.

I'll be creating a Reddit account in the next day or two, and I'll post this to keycap designers. Thanks again!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 01:33:14 »
I can't find it, but someone has an album of all the SP colorchips that's supposedly dead on with how they look in real life. I'm pretty sure they have a darker purple.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 01:37:29 »
I can't find it, but someone has an album of all the SP colorchips that's supposedly dead on with how they look in real life. I'm pretty sure they have a darker purple.

http://keycapsdirect.com/abscolors.php

You're right. The RDE is their dark purple, and it looks significantly darker with the color chip than it did on KLE. Good to know the colors can still come out pretty close to the original design.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 02:07:20 »
1 more render just for thought. Added a rough DSA render.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 02:33:49 »
TacticalStache, You're hitting on something I was starting to think. I've been toying with the idea of running this on something a little cheaper than a GMK set. DCS would totally make sense in my head. Not sure if there is a huge difference in price on DCS and DSA when running a custom set because if they're similar in price, I was thinking that this could be an interesting DSA set.

Niomosy, I agree with you. It's definitely a niche colorway, and it is tied into a more niche idea being derived from Ubuntu's stock colors. I'll definitely check to see if it could be tied into a cartoon. One that I personally loved as a kid and think could have potential is Spyro.

Thanks, both of you! Definitely gave me some new ideas to sit on. I'll probably start shifting this set towards being either DCS / DSA and use Spyro as the mascot instead of Ubuntu's Xenial Xerus.

DSA could be interesting.  The basic breakdown of differences is pretty easy though.

DCS - cylindrical top and sculptured (each row has a different angle to it).

DSA - spherica top and flat (no row angle differentiation so all rows are the same).

DSA might be nice because it opens you up to some easier specialty stuff like Dvorack and Colemack layouts without having to add extra keys.  It's also a more popular profile these days.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 09:28:51 »
I don't like DSA :/

Offline SpareWalrus

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 18:01:59 »
I don't like DSA :/
Me either. Would be a deal breaker for me.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 19:40:59 »
Loud and clear. No DSA. Keep this either in DCS or with GMK (if I can ever drum up interest to that extent).

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 20:39:44 »
SP´s caps suck. DSA is too thin, too rough, gets dirty quickly and when it shines look quite ugly, due to its rough finishing. If you get them in PBT, the wider keys will be warped, unless you get them blanks. Just check any Granite´s shift or enter and you would understand the issue. DCS is again too thin, too light, with too round corners and price-wise it comes pretty close to GMK that there is no reason for getting it instead of a good old Cherry´s molded keyset. There is SA, if you want a wobbling, extra tall, extra heavy key set, then get one, it may be so nice to look at, but it sucks for typing, it is like a beautiful but frigid girl. I know a horde of ardent SA promoters will jump to explain its advantages over everything else, but sincerely, why some one wants to expend a hundred bucks for a subpar set if you can get a refined GMK made one for just twenty or some extra dollars. My two cents, you may not agree, but these are facts, you may like one or the other SP´s style but they carry the burden of a subpar solution for typing, after all, the key caps are actually the only surface we touch and occasionally see, while typing. Good luck with your set, nice color selection.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 21:05:40 »
Yeah, that was my concern with DCS is the thinness of them. Would definitely bother me coming from thick PBT. Well, I think that I'll leave this set as intended. GMK. If a day comes that this set is possible and there's sufficient interest, I'll jump for joy and revive it, but until that day comes, I'll let this set ride into the sunset.

Thanks for the input all!

Offline Vloshko

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 12:34:54 »
GMK FTW love the color set, maybe some modifiers or novelties in Lime or Kelly Green
Keycap Compendium

Discord: Vloshko#1327

Key Cap Wishlist

2019: Configure Optimal Audio Settings

HHKB Pro 2, Model M, Unicorn X Legend, ESPECTRO 96, SaiB CP, E8-V1.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 13:19:23 »
GMK FTW love the color set, maybe some modifiers or novelties in Lime or Kelly Green

If this will get made, I plan on using some sort of silhouette of Spyro's head or other Spyro themed imagery for special keys, threw in some of the modifiers you mentioned. Two versions actually. One with the Kelly Greenish color and purple text, and another with a yellow to represent another common color for Spyro's horns.