Author Topic: beaker lives  (Read 7595 times)

Offline wellington1869

beaker lives
« on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 00:26:36 »
>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">[/youtube]

and so do I. hello all. had to post a new hilarious video from my favorite muppet. I've got nothing to say on keyboards tho, i'm officially 'done with them'.  kicked the habit. Been new-keyboard-free for almost four months now. :-D  My main driver is a $10 Dell. Yea, I pull out the endurapro every now and then, but thats about it. And I couldnt be happier :-D Blasphemy, I know. I guess i got it out of my system. Didnt think that would ever happen. So there's hope for all of you's. ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline msiegel

beaker lives
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 01:09:04 »
howdy! :D

did you go cold turkey, or metha-dome?
;)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline itlnstln

beaker lives
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 06:43:08 »
It's good to see you again Welly; it hasn't been the same around here without you.

Quote from: msiegel;157497
metha-dome

Strong.

Offline mp29k

beaker lives
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 07:04:07 »
Miss you Welly!  Even if you don't buy new keyboards, you should still hang out.
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline bigpook

beaker lives
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 10:07:53 »
good to see you again wellington. but a Dell? wow.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
beaker lives
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 10:42:33 »
Quote from: bigpook;157571

My thoughts exactly. I mean, if it were a Logitech Classic Keyboard 200 at least, one could still live with that, but a modern-day Dell cheapie...
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline itlnstln

beaker lives
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 10:44:25 »
Who said it wasn't a Dell AT-101W?  I paid $10 (NIB) for mine.

Offline bigpook

beaker lives
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 12:04:56 »
didn't think of that, a dell at101 would work. For some reason, I was thinking of those flexible, rubber dome jobbies that I see on everyones desk.
Which gives me the visual of some wino in an alley, clutching a half empty bottle of night train.
How low we have fallen.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
beaker lives
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 12:08:43 »
One of these disgusting disappointments is what came to my mind:

Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline itlnstln

beaker lives
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 12:13:14 »
This is the one people are getting with their new laptops. It's actually really nice for a scissor switch keyboard. I wouldn't be too upset if I had to use this at work.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
beaker lives
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 12:17:04 »
Scissor switches, overall, aren't terribly bad, especially if the board has a LITTLE flex/softness so the bottom out doesn't hurt. Not mushy...but not like bottoming out a Model M at full force.
kishy.ca

Offline mp29k

beaker lives
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 12:56:17 »
Quote from: itlnstln;157610
This is the one people are getting with their new laptops. It's actually really nice for a scissor switch keyboard. I wouldn't be too upset if I had to use this at work.

Show Image

AHHHHHH!!!!!!

You like that board, and you like Cherry Browns?

I HATE that board, all stiff and mushy feeling... I got one with my laptop at work and it lasted about 5 minutes before I went back to my old Dell.

I picked Cherry browns largely based on your glowing review of them.... hopefully they feel nothing like this stinker!
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline elbowglue

beaker lives
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 13:01:33 »

and so do I. hello all. had to post a new hilarious video from my favorite muppet. I've got nothing to say on keyboards tho, i'm officially 'done with them'.  kicked the habit. Been new-keyboard-free for almost four months now. :-D  My main driver is a $10 Dell. Yea, I pull out the endurapro every now and then, but thats about it. And I couldnt be happier :-D Blasphemy, I know. I guess i got it out of my system. Didnt think that would ever happen. So there's hope for all of you's. ;)

So this is proof that webwit hacked welly's account, it has finally come to this.

It would be fine to use a rubber dome dell for your daily driver... if you drove a taxi for a living. :P  I guess it depends on how much ya type eh?  Good to hear from you!
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline itlnstln

beaker lives
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 13:22:02 »
Quote from: mp29k;157612
AHHHHHH!!!!!!

You like that board, and you like Cherry Browns?

I HATE that board, all stiff and mushy feeling... I got one with my laptop at work and it lasted about 5 minutes before I went back to my old Dell.

I picked Cherry browns largely based on your glowing review of them.... hopefully they feel nothing like this stinker!

I didn't say I liked it specifically. I did say that I "wouldn't be too upset," but I would still be upset. I'm just saying that amongst some of the stock stuff I have tried recently, this is the best of the bunch. That is why I bring my own input devices to work, though.

This keyboard and Cherry browns are not even close to the same in feel.  I find the Dell fairly light, and the switches have this odd, "click" quality to them that I haven't experienced in a scissor switch before.  Where the tactile point is, right at the top of the switch, it sort of makes this "clicking" sound and feel and an instant bottom out to register the stroke. It's not great by any means, but it's better than many of the other stock alternatives.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2010, 13:25:50 by itlnstln »

Offline wellington1869

beaker lives
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 14:50:00 »
hi gang,   missed you guys too, tho i was apparently way overdue for a break, lol.

Quote from: bigpook;157571

lol, yea, its kinda funny. Its actually like the $10 one that kishy posted a pic of, above, except its the "better" $10 one. There are two versions of that dell board.
It was actually recommended to me by bhtooefr and cx23882
Its the "midnight grey" one that they mention.
(extended discussion of this "better" cheap dell board, here)

I sold off my boards (except for endurapro, for old times sake) and kept that dell as my main driver. Its not bad to type on, but more than anything, you know its best feature? I dont have to fuss over it, cuz its a cheap $10 board ;) It is what it is and not going to change... and without continuously fussing over and modding my keyboards, I suddenly got my life back! Lol. That was its best feature I guess.

Quote from: msiegel;157497

did you go cold turkey, or metha-dome?
;)

It was kind of like breaking up with a girlfriend after a long term relationship. I 'rubber banded' for a while. Tried several times to break up unsuccessfully before it finally stuck. Picked fights in an attempt to sour the relationship, then found myself having make up sex. You know how it goes ;) There were times when I missed her dearly, but over time it got easier and easier to move on.

I'll tell you guys tho, this is an honest-to-goodness addiction. Keyboards I mean. We're freaks, you know that right? I mean finally now I get to wear the mini-keyboard around my neck and say "keyboard free for four months", but I'm well aware I'm a recovering addict. ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2010, 14:53:06 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline itlnstln

beaker lives
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 15:03:55 »
That kinda makes me long for my MS Natural 4000. Maybe I'll type on it for awhile tonight for old times sake. It was that keyboard that ultimately drove me here, though. I doubt it would be the one to make me leave.  Glad to see that things are working out for you, Welly.

Offline mp29k

beaker lives
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 15:19:03 »
Quote from: wellington1869;157634

Its the "midnight grey" one that they mention.
(extended discussion of this "better" cheap dell board)

I have an SK-8125 that I like... google it, and see if that is the one you are talking about... doesn't feel at all mushy compared to most rubber domes I have felt.

Where did you sell all your board?  Do you by chance still have the Fukka Tenkeyless?  Even though is is all Fukka'd up, I am still interested in what the switch feels like.

Offline wellington1869

beaker lives
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 19:12:55 »
Quote from: mp29k;157636
I have an SK-8125 that I like... google it, and see if that is the one you are talking about... doesn't feel at all mushy compared to most rubber domes I have felt.

ya, i know those dell boards are in the 'love to hate' category, but we get a lot of those boards at work with new dell computers, and to be quite honest i dont mind either version. As far as rubber domes go anyway.
But the guys thought the RT7D50 was the 'better' one. As discussed here.

Where did you sell all your board?  Do you by chance still have the Fukka Tenkeyless?  Even though is is all Fukka'd up, I am still interested in what the switch feels like.

lol, ah, the fukka board. The memories come flooding back ;)  Great switch, lousy keyboard ;)  I sold that one on geekhack, IIRC. I sold most of them on GH, one on ebay, one to a coworker.  I didnt have that many in storage anyway, since I had been sellling off the old ones to finance the new ones.

I still have the ibm "ultranav" laptop-style board too I guess. I dont use it though. Lost a keycap on it already.

Quote from: itlnstln;157635
Glad to see that things are working out for you, Welly.

thanks bro. I guess my new (old) hobby is guitars. My lousy part-time job turned into a lousy full-time job, and I found myself with some extra spendin' money. So i bought a gibson melody maker. :)  I used to play in high school, decided to pick it up again.

I'm not planning on "modding" it :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2010, 19:26:09 by wellington1869 »

Offline kriminal

beaker lives
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 21:52:13 »
um are dudes admitting their secret love for rubber domes\scissor switches here?
blasphemy
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2010, 21:58:11 by kriminal »
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
beaker lives
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 22:12:17 »
Quote from: kriminal;157706
um are dudes admitting their secret love for rubber domes\scissor switches here?
blasphemy

In my case...not a love, but indifference with specific examples.

There are inexcusably bad, lowest-of-the-low rubber dome keyboards, and in my opinion PRIME examples include the Dells which are being semi-praised in this thread.

Another winner is the Iuminating keyboard, of course. Scissor switches would have helped that thing immensely...low-travel rubber domes without scissors = really dumb idea.
kishy.ca

Offline wellington1869

beaker lives
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 12:37:22 »
Quote from: ripster;157686

But ya gotta do the Velcro mod to that Welly!  Great way to keep the picks handy.

damn, thats not a bad idea ;)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
beaker lives
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 13:34:53 »
I'm at school right now...the Dells I am referring to as awful are SK-8115 and another variety that was returned when the lease expired last semester (shipped with P4 Optiplex systems).

Edit: in another room, there's another variety of the same crap called Model L100 Ext Number UO11. Not even slightly better.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2010, 13:59:43 by kishy »
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
beaker lives
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 17:12:34 »
The raison d'être of this thread confuses this simple Irish lad.

I assume you still have your modded Endurapro... So do you use the Dell because you think it's better? Or are you making some sort of statement by using something you believe to be inferior?

Offline msiegel

beaker lives
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 19:50:55 »
pretty sure he's saying the subtleties are just not a big deal anymore

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding

Offline elservo

beaker lives
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 00:54:18 »
He's obviously punishing himself.  He's given up the sweet feel of cherry switches and is moving on to callous-inducing guitar playing.  Totally making up for past sins.  

That's actually why I'm here.
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
beaker lives
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 03:58:03 »
Quote from: msiegel;158200
pretty sure he's saying the subtleties are just not a big deal anymore

Right, but if you have the best, why not use it?

Offline msiegel

beaker lives
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 13:45:22 »
*shrugs*

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
beaker lives
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 16:51:12 »
I hate all Dell keyboards made in the 21st century.

Oh, and I've been new keyboard free for ages...the only keyboards I've ever had were used.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline wellington1869

beaker lives
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 01:39:59 »
Quote from: ch_123;158174
The raison d'être of this thread confuses this simple Irish lad.

I assume you still have your modded Endurapro... So do you use the Dell because you think it's better? Or are you making some sort of statement by using something you believe to be inferior?

yea still have the modded-to-death endurapro (which I do still like... actually i've been on that one last few days).

Its not that the subtleties dont matter; its that once I didnt let them matter to me as much, I kind of got my life back. Thats what I mean, I guess. And I kind of liked getting my life back. I was a real addict you know.

Its a kind of diminishing returns, this search for keyboard perfection. Kind of like with women, I suspect.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Re: beaker lives
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 04:23:48 »
There are several members that found the keyboards they liked and ceased buying additional ones.  Heck, I haven't purchased a keyboard in quite a while...I primarily use my blue cherry filco mini (have a spare/back up) on my primary system, have M4's on my other systems, and use my HHKB pro on the go.  

But I certainly keep my eyes open and will pull the trigger  when something interests me.  (and I have two trunks full of quite a selection of other keyboards to keep me entertained when the desire hits). :)

There are a variety of keyboards that I could be happy with if I had to choose just one (HHKB being at the top of that list)...A cheapy Dell rubber dome would, however, be my own personal hell.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
beaker lives
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 11:07:28 »
I hang out to get quotes to post in my .sig.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline itlnstln

beaker lives
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 11:16:26 »
Quote from: ricercar;158608
I hang out to get quotes to post in my .sig.

Ha! Without context, I am going to make an assumption.  Looking at the quote from Welly in your sig, I am going to say that Welly hasn't put in the reasearch time to validate the "women" part of that quote (one way or the other).  Do the research, Welly, it's fun (for the most part).

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
beaker lives
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 12:54:07 »
Rickman is awesome, from Die Hard to Truly Madly Deeply.

EDIT: missed your lower line. Yes, sad.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2010, 17:45:48 by ricercar »

Offline wellington1869

beaker lives
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 18:36:15 »
Quote from: itlnstln;158612
 Do the research, Welly, it's fun (for the most part).

Thats a hobby worth investing in ;)  So long as I dont try to "mod" my girlfriends I guess.

Even tho they try to "mod" me all the time :(

Offline itlnstln

beaker lives
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 07:00:12 »
Mods on GFs are pricey. You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF.

Offline mp29k

beaker lives
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 07:29:22 »
Quote from: itlnstln;158779
Mods on GFs are pricey. You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF.

This is WIN!

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
beaker lives
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 10:25:54 »
There's a rubber cup GF mod, but most guys probably don't want to hear about it.

Do piercings count as GF mods?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
beaker lives
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 10:28:11 »
Quote from: ricercar;158812
Do piercings count as GF mods?

Seems similar enough to a Model M bolt mod...so sure.
kishy.ca

Offline Rajagra

beaker lives
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 16:01:25 »
Full rollover is an important feature.

Wait... did I just go back on topic?

Offline itlnstln

beaker lives
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 16:05:25 »
Wait, what was the topic again?  Oh yeah, Welly was saying that he has given up on keyboards and that there are new Muppet videos featuring Beaker.  So, no, you did not go back on topic.  Nice try; better luck next time.  We are sending tonight's contestants home with these lovely parting gifts.  Rod, show them what they've won...

Offline mp29k

beaker lives
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 17:28:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;158930
Wait, what was the topic again?  Oh yeah, Welly was saying that he has given up on keyboards and that there are new Muppet videos featuring Beaker.  So, no, you did not go back on topic.  Nice try; better luck next time.  We are sending tonight's contestants home with these lovely parting gifts.  Rod, show them what they've won...

Your posts constantly crack me up.

Offline wellington1869

beaker lives
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 21:44:38 »
Quote from: ricercar;158812
There's a rubber cup GF mod, but most guys probably don't want to hear about it.

lol, i was thinking that too.

On the other hand they try to mod me with a rubber dome. Hate it.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
beaker lives
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 18 February 2010, 00:05:45 »
((looks for a succinct joke about robber domes, and fails))

Hey Welly! *waves*

Thanks for the Scorpius M10 before you disappeared. I sold it forward to another geekhacker after learning Cherry blues aren't for me.

Offline wellington1869

beaker lives
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 18 February 2010, 13:06:51 »
Quote from: ricercar;159051

Thanks for the Scorpius M10 before you disappeared. I sold it forward to another geekhacker after learning Cherry blues aren't for me.

my pleasure bro :)  My previous scorpius made the rounds of Gh member ownership too.  Yea the blues werent for me either. Tried em twice just to be sure.

And thanks for those free ibm keycaps you sent me, they're currently serving on my endurapro :D