Author Topic: Serial Mouse latency...  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Oqsy

Serial Mouse latency...
« on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 18:39:50 »
I found an old serial mouse (an early logitech mechanical) that I'm playing around with today.  Does anyone know how much latency difference there is between a serial, ps2, usb, ir, or bluetooth mouse?  I feel like this mouse has the smoothest action but most sluggish response of any mouse I've used.  I prefer the 3 button layout to the two buttons and a wheel, but I don't think this apparent lack in response will bode well for the serial mouse.  I still haven't tweaked the sensitivity settings, but this really doesn't feel like a sensitivity issue, and I'm wondering if I'm actually sensing the limitation of the serial connection, or if that's just me imagining things.  Thanks!

edit:  Actually found out it isn't as old as I'd estimated.  It's a Logitech Model M-35
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2010, 18:42:03 by Oqsy »
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 18:50:56 »
It's nothing to do with the serial connection. It's to do with the sensitivity of the mouse itself. Old mice were optimized for the screen resolutions of the day (i.e. 640x480 or 800x600) so, given the standard mouse sensitivity of Windows, the hardware would be optimized to move the cursor by a certain number of pixels in order to provide a smooth experience. Consequently when you plug it into a computer with a 1280x1024+ screen, it doesn't move enough relative to the effort you put into it.

The converse is true - plugging a modern mouse into a computer with a low resolution on the screen will give you a hypersensitive mousing experience.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2010, 19:04:17 by ch_123 »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 19:34:32 »
Hey, that M-M35 photo is from my site!

Awesome lol

They're nice mice...as far as serial mice go definitely one of the better ones, along with specific Microsoft models as well.

Latency, CH said it pretty accurately. Reality is there is limited latency over the interface, it's all up to the design of the mouse electronics.

The product webwit specified is really handy. I have a generic ebay knock off equivalent which works really well, so I imagine a proper brand name one should work particularly well also.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Oqsy

Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 19:51:35 »
Is there really any use for the serial->usb converter for someone that already has a serial port?  I mean, it's cool to know they're out there, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding the reason for posting that product here...

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 19:55:48 »
Quote from: Oqsy;158201
Is there really any use for the serial->usb converter for someone that already has a serial port?  I mean, it's cool to know they're out there, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding the reason for posting that product here...

Well, if you've already got a serial port (properly working, that is) then the need for a USB serial port controller is nulled.

That said, no modern laptops have serial ports and most people don't have the parts to equip modern desktops with them (they often have a motherboard header but don't include the port and ribbon cable).

Side note: I've got a small pile of those ports on brackets with ribbons...anyone who needs one fire off a PM to me.
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 20:14:30 »
Not some, not most, but ALL my PS/2 trackballs have nearly unusably-slow tracking on modern screen resolutions such as 1280 and higher, even when set to maximum tracking on the Windows mouse control panel.

Tracking speed != latency.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2010, 20:18:31 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 20:17:31 »
Quote from: ricercar;158208
I'm certain there's a measurable difference between Serial RS232 and USB polling, and nearly certain it's not perceivable by humans as latency.

This.
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 20:19:09 »
This? That? The other?

((I really need to finish editing before posting.))

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 20:21:39 »
Glad to see I'm not the only one who makes a series of edits to the majority of my posts before I'm satisfied with them, lol.

Fortunately I quoted what I was...quoting.
kishy.ca

Offline Rajagra

Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 20:53:15 »
Serial mice could have less latency because serial ports are interrupt driven. You might want to check in the BIOS to see if the serial port is properly configured and using an interrupt. Check the port's resources in device manager too. COM1 normally uses IRQ 4.

Offline Oqsy

Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 23:07:23 »
kishy: thanks for hosting that pic btw.  of note: mine doesn't have a logo on the top anywhere.  doesn't appear that its been removed, but that it instead came unmarked.  The only indication is the label above the roller on the bottom side with model number fcc id etc...

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13 February 2010, 23:09:40 »
Quote from: Oqsy;158228
kishy: thanks for hosting that pic btw.  of note: mine doesn't have a logo on the top anywhere.  doesn't appear that its been removed, but that it instead came unmarked.  The only indication is the label above the roller on the bottom side with model number fcc id etc...

You're welcome (it's on a free host so may drop out from time to time. I'm slowly working on getting a server running from home 24/7)

That's normal. Logitech OEM'd a lot of mice.

I have Compaq mice that use the same circuit board inside as these Logitechs, with similar model names (S-S35 I think off the top of my head). If it doesn't have any logo on it, it probably was shipped with a clone-brand computer.
kishy.ca

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 11:54:54 »
Quote from: ricercar;158208
Not some, not most, but ALL my PS/2 trackballs have nearly unusably-slow tracking on modern screen resolutions such as 1280 and higher, even when set to maximum tracking on the Windows mouse control panel.

Tracking speed != latency.

I've actually found some serial mice to be quite sensitive. My Microsoft one from the mid-1990's works very well even without being the highest sensitivity setting on a monitor running at 1280x1024. My PS/2 Microsoft Intellimouse 1.3a is sensitive as well.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Oqsy

Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 12:25:44 »
Here's the setting I chose after playing with it for a while.  One click left of that setting is WAY too slow, but one click right doesn't really seem to make much difference.  I wonder if the mouse sensitivity settings in windows are logarithmic or linear...

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 12:58:11 »
Wow, that setting would be INSANE...

Speaking from experience here. I don't know what's with you people and saying old mice track slowly...in most cases they just don't.
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 13:20:17 »
I should make a video of that old IBM 6450350 moving around on my desktop...

Offline msiegel

Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 13:43:53 »

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 14:01:29 »
Hmm. I have fruit flies and no mantis. Something's very wrong.

Offline Oqsy

Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 14:10:29 »
Ugggh there are very few things in the world I find more creepy than a praying mantis...  Every erector pili on my arms and neck are contracted after watching that video.  The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that creeps me out more is E.T. (yes, that movie has scared the snot out of me since I was about 3 years old...  I could write an extensive paper on all the subversive and suggestive themes in the movie, but I'll spare you all for now.)  Now that I think about it, a mantis and E.T. have a similar head shape.  It's just terrible stuff.

Offline Rajagra

Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 20:37:18 »
Quote from: ripster;158334
For your Valentines Day Pleasure Reading:

The Female Praying Mantis:  Sexual Predator or Misunderstood

The most common courtship is when the male mantis approaches the female frontally, slowing its speed down as it nears. This has also been described as a beautiful ritual dance in which the female's final pose motions that she is ready. The second most common courtship is when the male approaches the female from behind, speeding up as it nears. He then jumps on her back, they mate, and he flies away quickly.

Not so different to humans, really.

Offline itlnstln

Serial Mouse latency...
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 08:26:12 »
Yep, hit it and quit it.