Author Topic: MX -> ML keycap converter  (Read 3048 times)

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
MX -> ML keycap converter
« on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 10:47:37 »
In my head all this should really take is a small bit of plastic with an MX stem on one side and ML stems on the other, but I'm not sure how to go about getting such a thing out of my head and into the world. Any ideas, suggestions, or pointing me towards where this problem has already been solved by people brighter than I?

Thanks!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: MX -> ML keycap converter
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 11:03:01 »
First thing I think of is would you have clearance issues between keycaps?

ML boards seems to have tighter spacing.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 11:17:38 »
Good question, but not actually an issue in my case, as the ML switches have been desoldered from their original board in favor of a custom board. So spacing will (hopefully) be based around MX keycap size.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 11:37:45 »
The actual switch dimensions are different as well so I'm not sure how that will affect the keycaps working and/or at least looking decent.

And also I think even with the lowest profile adapter you can design you will have a larger than normal vertical gap versus mx switches.

Just throwing out some possible gotchas but clearly anything is possible. :D

So basically you need a 3D model that you could 3D print to test.  8)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 13:36:44 »
What's wrong with using ML keycaps?

I feel like any way you go about putting an MX keycap on an ML switch it will wobble like crazy, ML switches always have low profile caps because they're a low profile switch so adding a taller cap + the adaptor will = a lot of leverage/ movement that normally isn't there.

I think if you want to do this you need to cut down (shorten) the stems on the MX keycaps and design an insert that fits into the cap so the switch will seat properly within in when fully depressed while also hopefully limiting the extra leverage/ wobble.

In the end I think this is a cool idea but a lot more work that it's worth.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 06:00:49 »
Perhaps using ALPS keycaps would be better?
You could create a 3D adapter that converts ML into ALPS and plug the ALPS caps into that.
It should be kinda sorta more stable than MX since ALPS press into the stem of switch not around it.
I am not sure about the clearance though in this case.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 09:15:03 »
The actual switch dimensions are different as well so I'm not sure how that will affect the keycaps working and/or at least looking decent.

And also I think even with the lowest profile adapter you can design you will have a larger than normal vertical gap versus mx switches.

Just throwing out some possible gotchas but clearly anything is possible. :D

So basically you need a 3D model that you could 3D print to test.  8)

Since the MX caps are larger than their ML counterparts, I think issues of appearance should be reasonably well masked, so long as they are the switches are spaced properly. I'm going to attempt to use these keycaps, with a fabric layer to hide the switches and some of the stems. Hopefully it won't look like crap, but yeah, that's always a risk. Functionality will probably be the greater issue, especially in the form of wobble (my current main concern).

And yeah, it looks like I'm going to get to learn how to use modelling software.

What's wrong with using ML keycaps?

I feel like any way you go about putting an MX keycap on an ML switch it will wobble like crazy, ML switches always have low profile caps because they're a low profile switch so adding a taller cap + the adaptor will = a lot of leverage/ movement that normally isn't there.

I think if you want to do this you need to cut down (shorten) the stems on the MX keycaps and design an insert that fits into the cap so the switch will seat properly within in when fully depressed while also hopefully limiting the extra leverage/ wobble.

In the end I think this is a cool idea but a lot more work that it's worth.

Nothing wrong with using ML keycaps, other than that the ones I want to use don't have an ML equivalent. And nice looking, custom ML keycaps are a pain to find in the first place.

I may try to modify the caps from MXs to MLs if the wobble is too bad or other difficulties prove insurmountable. My path forward that way I think is to cut the stems off of the MX set I want to use, cut the ML keycaps I have such that the posts are preserved and the MX cap fits neatly on top, then glue the two together. Trying to design an adapter is just a step that which doesn't require such permanence.

Perhaps using ALPS keycaps would be better?
You could create a 3D adapter that converts ML into ALPS and plug the ALPS caps into that.
It should be kinda sorta more stable than MX since ALPS press into the stem of switch not around it.
I am not sure about the clearance though in this case.

Possibly, but again, this is mostly based around wanting to use that specific MX set.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 11:10:08 »
ML switches bind hard on off-centre key presses so making a keycap for ML higher will make it bind even more.
Therefore I think it would be better to 3D-print just the keycaps that you don't have.
🍉

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 11:54:12 »
ML switches bind hard on off-centre key presses so making a keycap for ML higher will make it bind even more.
Therefore I think it would be better to 3D-print just the keycaps that you don't have.

This + everything else stated here makes me wonder why someone would want to use ML switches (imo they don't even kind of feel decent to use) when just building an MX board would fix every problem.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 10:26:31 »
This + everything else stated here makes me wonder why someone would want to use ML switches (imo they don't even kind of feel decent to use) when just building an MX board would fix every problem.

My wife has a strong preference for ML switches. But the more I look at and tinker with the MX caps and the ML switches, the more I think the surgery route is going to be necessary. A long stem on an ML cap (converted or not) just doesn't seem to function well.

Thanks for all the help and tips in any case!