Author Topic: Having problems with 5 pin DIN keyboards converted to USB  (Read 4402 times)

Offline C3nturion

Having problems with 5 pin DIN keyboards converted to USB
« on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 22:05:30 »
So I'm new here, I recently have dove into the world of vintage keyboards, and have acquired several that use the 5-Pin DIN connector. I'm having some problems using them when converted to USB and this forum seemed like a great place to ask, considering the know-how and experience of the majority of you guys.

The first is a Fujitsu FKB-4700, the second is a Tandy Enhanced Keyboard (essentially the same keyboard.) Then the third is a Tandy Model 2000.

When I connect any of them to a computer first using a USB to PS2 signal converter and then from that to a PS2 to 5-Pin DIN adapter, The caps lock/num lock/scroll lock lights (on the keyboards that feature them) will light up, but I don't get a response from the computer from any of the keys, including the aforementioned lock keys. Upon discovering this, I disassembled them to see if anything looked out of the ordinary. To my disappointment, there were no obvious flaws such as blown capacitors or corroded connections. I also have a Soarer's converter cable I bought off of eBay that was intended to be used with a 122-Key Model F, but that graced me with the same response. I have tried all of the USB ports on my laptop, as well as my desktop PC, along with the single PS2 port on the same desktop.

The peculiar thing, though, is that I have an old waterproof keyboard intended for use in police cars that is 5-pin DIN and works completely fine. If it weren't for the functioning lock keys on the other keyboards, I would have just chalked it down to bad luck and broken keyboards.

Any suggestions as to how I can get these types of keyboards working on a modern PC? I am looking forward to being able to use these as everyday work keyboards.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Having problems with 5 pin DIN keyboards converted to USB
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 17:44:26 »
A 240-degree converter cable from Orihalcon would not fit a conventional 180-degree DIN plug such as found on the IBM AT.

If the original plug is indeed a 240-degree plug, then you probably have an odd proprietary terminal keyboard.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline C3nturion

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 20:33:04 »
A 240-degree converter cable from Orihalcon would not fit a conventional 180-degree DIN plug such as found on the IBM AT.

If the original plug is indeed a 240-degree plug, then you probably have an odd proprietary terminal keyboard.

I just checked all of the connectors and the female din5 ends on Orihalcon's are in the 180 format, as well as all of the keyboards. Here is the link to the converter:http://www.ebay.com/itm/281476427201?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 20:50:20 »

the female din5 ends on Orihalcon's are in the 180 format

The IBM Model F 122-key terminal uses the 240-degree plug. I think Tandy uses a completely different protocol that is proprietary, although the 180-degree plug should accommodate (that is, physically plug into) any AT or XT cable.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline C3nturion

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 20:59:16 »

The IBM Model F 122-key terminal uses the 240-degree plug. I think Tandy uses a completely different protocol that is proprietary, although the 180-degree plug should accommodate (that is, physically plug into) any AT or XT cable.

Ah. So I was mistaken then... I take it this means I will have to either find a tandy adapter or hand-make something using a teensy 2.0? It had never occurred to me that there may be different protocols despite it being the same physical plug.