Author Topic: Plum Nano 75 Bluetooth no longer works  (Read 4404 times)

Offline zslane

Plum Nano 75 Bluetooth no longer works
« on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:06:15 »
So somehow I broke the Bluetooth in my brand new Plum Nano 75. I upgraded its firmware last night and now it won't go into pairing mode. I press FN+F10 for 5s and it never blinks fast, it just blinks slowly. I've tried the other two (F11/F12) with the same result. I even tried resetting it and that didn't help. It just won't go into pairing mode. The Plum appears to work in all other respects when wired to my PC by USB.

Now, I know that the iPad's Bluetooth is working because I was able to re-pair a different Bluetooth keyboard that I have, and that went just fine. With the Plum, the Bluetooth settings on the iPad shows that it has detected the Plum because an entry appears under Other Devices labeled "Bluetooth Keyboard". However, the Plum never goes into pairing mode and so I can't pair them again. I've tried resetting the Plum several times; I've tried rebooting the iPad. I've tried pairing while the Plum is plugged into power via USB, and also while running on its batteries. No matter what I try, I can't get the Plum to enter pairing mode.

How do I fix this?

Offline dante

Re: Plum Nano 75 Bluetooth no longer works
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:30:43 »
I would try tracking down the electronic version of the instruction manual and running it through Chinese translate.

I know the Plum 75 has a keypress combo (I don't remember it) that will internally reinstall the stock firmware.  Sorry I don't know it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:32:59 by dante »

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:33:05 »
The closest thing I can find to what you're describing is what the user manual describes as "Restore factory settings":

Press “ESC + Delete + Left Ctrl + Right Ctrl” for 5 seconds will restore factory settings, restore factory settings will restart keyboard.

I've tried this multiple times.

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:37:08 »
The closest thing I can find to what you're describing is what the user manual describes as "Restore factory settings":

Press “ESC + Delete + Left Ctrl + Right Ctrl” for 5 seconds will restore factory settings, restore factory settings will restart keyboard.

I've tried this multiple times.

Yes I think that's it.  Sorry it didn't work out for you.

That being said... :D What are you doing with this keyboard anyway?  I thought you swore off the Topre clones? :)

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 14:05:29 »
I've really, really wanted a 60% TMX model to match up with my iPad, but no company wants to make one. The Plum Nano 75 is the closest thing, so I've decided to give it a try. It was working out quite nicely until I upgraded the firmware and now it will no longer go into pairing mode.

I can't even use it in wired mode with the iPad because the iPad announces that the keyboard draws too much power, and rejects it. So right now the Plum is a very expensive doorstop.

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 14:19:36 »
Well I guess you should have taken your own advice. :D

Offline zslane

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 14:21:40 »
Which advice is that?

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 14:25:52 »
Which advice is that?

Avoiding Topre clones.

If it's any consolation I've heard via a Topclack podcast that the HHKB Bluetooth guys have had some failures.

Clearly there are some bugs/qc to be dealt with.

Perhaps you can sell it and someone who wants a strictly wired board will buy it.  You may even be able to part out the battery to sell separately.

Offline zslane

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 14:35:16 »
The surprising thing is that the Bluetooth functionality was the last thing I expected to have a problem with. It was the tactility of the 45g domes and its programmability that had me most concerned. And wouldn't you know it, I was quite happy with all of that! Sure, I was skeptical that it could deliver on its potential, but hopeful at the same time. And it was working great until I made the dumb (in hindsight) move to upgrade the firmware.

So while I am still not a fan of the Topre clones in general, the Plum Nano 75 turned out to be quite usable, at least for the limited use case I had in mind for it. If only it wasn't so easy to break the Bluetooth functionality.

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 16:25:44 »
I have a dreadful feeling I'm going to have to send it back to China to have them reset it properly. Oy veh.

Offline zslane

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 10:35:11 »
I'm happy to report that I was supplied with the proper firmware revision and was able to restore my Plum to fully functioning status!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline leotnnz

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 01:16:10 »
I'm happy to report that I was supplied with the proper firmware revision and was able to restore my Plum to fully functioning status!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

cong, zslane. just off the topic. how do you compare plum clone topre with realforce topre. and is 45g version off the market now? thanks.

Offline min2dang

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 09:09:06 »

Hi, zslane. I'm in the same situation. If possible, can you please send me the firmware to fix the keyboard?

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 10:10:18 »
Awesome job! :D

Offline min2dang

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 20:38:52 »

Hi, zslane. I'm in the same situation. If possible, can you please send me the firmware to fix the keyboard?

I managed to find out the user you contacted and solve the problem :)