Author Topic: filco keyboards durability and international shipping with elitekeyboards  (Read 3443 times)

Offline AvengeR

I think this will be the last thread before buying a tenkeyless, if I do.

Today I got a response from elitekeyboards and they say shipping would cost usd$48 from the US to Chile using EMS, then plus taxes the final cost is around usd$220. Ugh. Due to this before buying it I'll search for an ibm tenkeyless or any decent tenkeyless kb on local bargain stores (if any Chilean reads this...."el persa" and "san diego").

Considering that when importing stuff you lose the warranty, do filco keyboards last long (I hope forever lol)? Do they have any serious problems in the long run, like input malfunction?

edit: actually, does someone here on geekhack done international shipping with elitekeyboards? I read again the email response and it says "If you'd like to place an order, please reply to this e-mail.", which seems rather odd to me since it works with paypal/creditcard for everyone.

again, I plan to buy a tenkeyless tactile touch

thanks a lot
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 February 2010, 15:56:55 by AvengeR »

Offline itlnstln

filco keyboards durability and international shipping with elitekeyboards
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 February 2010, 15:56:00 »
I haven't had a single problem with either of the Filcos I have bought from elitekeyboards, and I type a **** ton.  The only quality problem I see is in the keycaps.  They go shiny very quickly.  Obviously, this is only cosmetic, so I wouldn't worry about it.  The lettering doesn't fade, in my experience anyway, so that's not a problem even when the caps do go shiny.

Offline AvengeR

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 February 2010, 15:57:38 »
I edited the first post to include international shipping

edit: actually, does someone here on geekhack done international shipping with elitekeyboards? I read again the email response and it says "If you'd like to place an order, please reply to this e-mail.", which seems rather odd to me since it works with paypal/creditcard for everyone.

Thanks for the response and for the ones coming related to intl. shipping.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 February 2010, 16:03:18 »
I, obviously, haven't done international shipping, but other folks here have with no problems.  Webwit has nearly the entire elitekeyboards catalog.  I have acted as a broker before, too, for international orders from elitekeyboards.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 February 2010, 21:18:45 »
methinks the only folks with filco "QC issues" are pre-pubescent l33tz0r TF2 queers upset that it didn't directly improve their fragging skills.

I can't count the number of times I have intentionally broken a keyboard then demanded a refund so I can use my mom's money for pot instead. it's like a tradition damn...
keyboards!

Offline devilcm3

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 06:19:06 »
with that price $220 you can get HHKB pro2 already
Black Cherry MX , once you bought it , it is yours , it is permanently yours , it is permanently yours till you meet your maker

1.FILCO Cherry Blue FKBN104MC/EB
2.FILCO Cherry Brown FKBN84M/EB

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 06:41:37 »
Quote from: devilcm3;160821
with that price $220 you can get HHKB pro2 already

Think again.
Typing on blues.

Offline devilcm3

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 07:17:21 »
Quote from: Mental Hobbit;160823
Think again.

sorry...i was referring to japanese amazon website..
the HHKB there costs about 20000 yen or $225 dollars

course still without shipping..
Black Cherry MX , once you bought it , it is yours , it is permanently yours , it is permanently yours till you meet your maker

1.FILCO Cherry Blue FKBN104MC/EB
2.FILCO Cherry Brown FKBN84M/EB

Offline ecru

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 15:01:34 »
I have ordered one Filco through elitekeyboards without any problems (Australia).  It came well packed as above.

For what it is worth my first Filco has recently developed an intermittent problem, where one keystrike will give a few letters (doesn't happen on only one key).  The board is coming up to 2 years old.  When it gets annoying enough I'll try swap the keys into an old g80-1800 I have, since I suspect it is a controller issue.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 15:19:55 »
Oh, the old "chattering" issue. It reminds me of back in the day...  Good times.  That guy was pretty intense.

Offline ecru

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 15:59:17 »
Since it is happening on more than one switch, I guess it sounds like the board should be thrown when it gets too annoying.  Oh well, saved me doing a complete switch swap onto another board.  Thanks, I guess :)