Author Topic: Help needed for deciding on a 6G replacement  (Read 1347 times)

Offline kokey

Help needed for deciding on a 6G replacement
« on: Sat, 27 February 2010, 12:00:24 »
Hello everyone,

Some years ago I bought steelkeys' 6G gaming keyboard out of an instant impulse... It was love at first sight, I only clicked a few keys in the shop and I knew I was going to pay the insanely high price for it... heck, I'm writing to coverts so you all know how it is. :)  Anyway, later that year I bought another 6G for office use as I said I'll never type on the Dell el-cheapo rubber specimen and that was it, I simply forgot about the matter.

Here I am some years later the 6G is showing its age. It still works kinda OK but one can see the o so many frags that have happened... so I need an exit strategy. Steelkeys is now manufacturing 7G and, also for anybody googling for "steelkeys 6G replacement 7G" just forget it! I bought one 7G hoping for the same quality that I got in 6G, no way. The layout manages to be... crumpled for a "normal Caucasian" :-@ and the keys are too easy to press; plus, with the provided palm rest the keyboard takes way too much space, without it it's unusable.

More to the point: anybody had any experience in the past with steelkeys 6G? Care to suggest a replacement with the same "feel"? I'm almost sure the 6Gs have Cherry MXes but I'm confused about the "color coding": Blue, Brown or Black? :-o

I should mention that out of the two 6Gs that I have one feels "fantastic" one is just... OK. For some reasons steelkeys changed the underlying contact type during the 6 months period.

OK, let me try and give more details: the best of the 6Gs that I have has a "firm" but "greasy/smooth" travel of the button; it doesn't click. The other one feels like... the button needs some lubrication. If I'm to describe the 6G that I like best it feels just like the venerable IBM but without the "click".

... so, any hints for me? :-)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Help needed for deciding on a 6G replacement
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 February 2010, 16:41:37 »
Agreed. Cherry blacks are firm and smooth without any click feel or sound (unless you bottom out), which is what you seem to be looking for. Cherry clears are similar, with weaker springs.

eBay search "cherry 11900" for an inexpensive Cherry Black board to test. $20 +/-

EDIT: WTF? all BIN are >$80 today. OK, seller typo: I got mine here.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2010, 16:47:20 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.