Author Topic: I got *me* a new toy today.....  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Specter_57

I got *me* a new toy today.....
« on: Mon, 01 March 2010, 18:38:32 »
To borrow the title of a recent thread...haha

Out for my usual walk today, passed by this small place with lots of neat stuff in the window, electric and mechanical typewriters and interesting but older things...and a model M keyboard in a pile of other stuff, been there for the last couple of weeks...and never seem to see anyone in the place..but today there was...

and so.... knocked on the window...and an hour of interesting conversation and $15 later...had my first "M" a 1391401, complete.

Got it home, quick cleaning, plug in and boot...fully operational and all keycaps present...

I'm so very chuffed ..:rapture:
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 March 2010, 18:50:40 by Specter_57 »

Offline InSanCen

I got *me* a new toy today....
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 March 2010, 19:05:09 »
Congrats!

Hopefully we have another convert to the Way of the Buckling Spring.

Depending on what you are used to, you may find the M heavy going (70-75G IIRC), but once your fingers man up, it's bliss.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 March 2010, 19:14:18 »
Typing this and a previous message on the "M".

For the past several months, I have been using a Dell AT101W keyboard...and before that a Dell QuietKey rubber dome board.

I rather like the AT101W, but have been looking around for awhile for an "M"...just pure chance I got this one.

So far...I like the typing feel of this board.  Little bit different from the Dell.

Spec57

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 19:46:59 »
Model M's are good keyboards. People (including me) seem to like them mostly for their tactile feedback and durability. Chances are that IBM will be the best $15 you'll ever spend on a keyboard.

You'll be amazed on how many good keyboards people throw out. I found an M5-2 with a low serial number in a garbage can. And it's a matter of time before the people at my local library get rid of those big old heavy, ugly keyboards.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 19:52:42 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;161595
Model M's are good keyboards. People (including me) seem to like them mostly for their tactile feedback and durability.

I like my M.  It's kinda loud though, been reading through the geekhack forums about different ways to quiet them down, gaffer tape, nut/bolt mods, grease or bits of foam in the springs.  Will try some of these eventually but want to do some reading first.

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 21:04:54 »

The sound, the loudness of my new-old "M" doesn't bother me in the least...I actually rather like the spring sound of it.

And it's not just perfectly good keyboards that get thrown out...as I have mentioned in other threads...got a perfectly good G-3 except for a flaky PSU...fixed.......and a perfectly good P4B 2.5GHz with a dead button cell...new cell from my junk box...new machine.

..and several other curbside specials...

No complaints on my part...I almost always examine these things as I find them...even if I only walk away with a ribbon cable...I'm happy.

Spec57
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 March 2010, 21:07:54 by Specter_57 »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 21:10:51 »
Quote from: Specter_57;161600
The sound, the loudness of my new-old "M" doesn't bother me in the least...I actually rather like the spring sound of it.
It's not me that's the problem, it's others, like my wife or folks I'm on conference calls with.  If I'm alone, all is well, :smile:

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 21:14:39 »
Tex...

You are right...it's their problem not your problem...haha

I don't need to worry about it interfering with anyone else...but in your case...I'd suggest getting several of those yellow foam ear plugs.....and what are you doing typing whilst on the telephone, anyway...how rude!!  :smile:..

Spec57
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 March 2010, 21:18:08 by Specter_57 »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 March 2010, 13:17:25 »
As far as conference calls are concerned... using the right kind of mic should largely fix that. I don't think a hypercardioid headset mic next to your mouth would pick up much.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline kode

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 March 2010, 19:56:25 »
The clickyness supplies that movie feeling to everything you type.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 March 2010, 19:59:27 by kode »