Author Topic: Capacitive vs Clicky key registration feedback  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Desperado

Capacitive vs Clicky key registration feedback
« on: Mon, 01 March 2010, 19:28:18 »
Hi everyone,

I own a HHKB Pro 2 that i constantly use at home but still i notice i don't seem to be able to type in it without bottoming the keys which sometimes makes me feel tired for long runs of typing. I might be wrong but i feel this happens to me because i don't seem to get enough tactile feedback about when the key registers so unconsciously i always bottom them. I started thinking that maybe a different mechanism like the blue cherry mx might give me better feedback and ease my typing. So i'd like to know you guys opinions, do the topre capacitive provide a similar keystroke registration to the blue cherry mx or is it harder/softer, heavier/lighter ?

Thanks to all in advance for sharing your experience.
:: IBM Model M 42H1292 :: Filco Blue Cherry Tenkeyless :: HHKB pro 2 :: HHKB Lite 2 :: Logitech Ultra-Flat :: Apple Slim keyboard ::

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Re: Capacitive vs Clicky key registration feedback
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 March 2010, 20:54:09 »
You just need to train your fingers to only use enough pressure to register a key press.
Though, if you're lazy, tactile and/or audible feedback helps.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 02:03:06 »
Sell me your HHKB Pro2.

Get an IBM Space Saving keyboard. After using that for 2 months, I find even the brown cherrys mushy.. definitely need sometime to readjust myself.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 07:36:43 »
Coming from a dedicated Cherry brown user, I find the Topres to be more tactile, and that, for me, makes me bottom out more.  That and the resistance drops after the tactile point in the Topres where in the Cherrys it increases, thus "pushing back" on your fingers as you get further in the keystroke.

Offline Desperado

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 12:22:35 »
Hi and thanks to everyone for your replies,

if i try really hard i can actually type without bottoming so much on the HHKB2 but it's doesn't feel as natural since i must be thinking about it and my typing speed and accuracy both lower quite a lot.

I have ordered a FILCO blue cherry mx out of curiosity and because i really like the clicky sound. I was hoping for it to be useable at work where i really need a decent keyboard but i'm already starting to feel distressed because there are several reports that this keyboard is too simply too loud for a working environment. I guess i'll have to use the HHKB2 at work and use the clicky at home.

Does anyone know of a good clicky keyboard that is actually useable in a work environment?
:: IBM Model M 42H1292 :: Filco Blue Cherry Tenkeyless :: HHKB pro 2 :: HHKB Lite 2 :: Logitech Ultra-Flat :: Apple Slim keyboard ::

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 13:48:24 »
Quote from: Desperado;161483
if i try really hard i can actually type without bottoming so much

Stop trying. I think relaxing and allowing your subconscious to learn how to use the keys works best. Maybe just once a day do an exercise of typing slowly and focusing your mind on how the keys feel just to ensure you aren't stuck in bad habits.
there are several reports that this keyboard is too simply too loud for a working environment.

Most working environments are too loud for a working environment.
But even in a quiet office, blue Cherries can hardly be described as noisy. Merely audible. If "audible" annoys your co-workers it could be a problem, but ask them to bear with it for a few days and see if they get used to them.

Offline ocdonkb

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 14:07:06 »
Quote from: chongyixiong;161423
Sell me your HHKB Pro2.

Get an IBM Space Saving keyboard. After using that for 2 months, I find even the brown cherrys mushy.. definitely need sometime to readjust myself.

heh, I've all but stopped using my Model M's. The reason is that once your fingers are happy on the M, all other switches just feel too light/mushy/not tactile/pure ****... Model M's do not play well with others. So this is a problem for people who use multiple keyboards(office/home/work/etc)

I still like to collect them, they're beautiful to my eyes :)
| Filco Brown 87 key | Realforce 87U | Unicomp Spacesaver | IBM Model M | Cherry ML4100 | Dell AT101W | Focus 2001 |

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 14:09:06 »
Quote from: Rajagra;161501
Stop trying. I think relaxing and allowing your subconscious to learn how to use the keys works best. Maybe just once a day do an exercise of typing slowly and focusing your mind on how the keys feel just to ensure you aren't stuck in bad habits.

This.  I think it's just a matter of learning how to type lighter and get the feel of the switches.  Once you get really familiar with them, the bottoming out will stop.  The two things to keep in mind are:

-Don't try to not bottom out.  This will only strain your hands and cause fatigue.

-Bottoming out isn't really bad, per se, so let it happen naturally.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 14:10:20 »
Quote from: ocdonkb;161509
heh, I've all but stopped using my Model M's. The reason is that once your fingers are happy on the M, all other switches just feel too light/mushy/not tactile/pure ****... Model M's do not play well with others. So this is a problem for people who use multiple keyboards(office/home/work/etc)

I still like to collect them, they're beautiful to my eyes :)

I'm lost.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 17:10:57 »
The office I work at is borderline obnoxious for all the sounds around the office, so clicky keyboards are pretty much nothing. Think a large cubicle room with 50 people all working on printer drivers. I still can't understand why they banned headphones (before I arrived).

So I regularly use my Unicomp Spacesaver and Model F (or something else, depending the mood).
Kiibohd

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 17:34:54 »
Hmm, I could probably use it for 10 minute intervals without being too annoying (there are a bunch of ribbon printers that are waayyy worse than that, but don't run all day).
Kiibohd

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 19:03:41 »
It's fun to think that there used to be people using Selectrics in offices everywhere. Of course, not everyone had their own Selectric. You might have to go down the hall into the typing room to use the common Selectric or other typewriter.

My parents had a Telex machine. Man was that thing LOUD... and messy too with all those yellow dots being punched out for the paper tape transcript.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 March 2010, 19:06:24 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ocdonkb

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 19:26:16 »
Quote from: itlnstln;161511
I'm lost.

I use Filco Brown at home and Realforce 87 at work, like them both, probably prefer the Realforce a bit more.

However, if I throw a Model M into the rotation, then it gets chaotic, and I start to find faults with all these other switches.

In the perfect world, a Model M is all I'd need. That's why they've become a collector's item for me... because using them would upset the balance and order of things.
| Filco Brown 87 key | Realforce 87U | Unicomp Spacesaver | IBM Model M | Cherry ML4100 | Dell AT101W | Focus 2001 |

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 March 2010, 07:32:55 »
OK, that makes sense.

Offline Desperado

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 March 2010, 10:27:37 »
Hmmm, an idea just crossed my mind, if i could get a handle at a real model M  i could start using it at work and once my co-workers came after me like an angry mob i could just replace it with the Filco and by comparison they would feel everything was quite calm and leave me be.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 March 2010, 13:02:38 »
Best show ever.

Ripster should appreciate these
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4