Author Topic: Need some help with creating hot-swap switches.  (Read 4712 times)

Offline SoReckless

Need some help with creating hot-swap switches.
« on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 04:51:10 »
So I've recently joined the GB for the YMD96, and really can't decide what switches should be in there. I have the solution; hot-swappable switches!

I tried to do some research on what connectors I should get for the PCB, but I need some help. as recommended in multiple places, I checked out TE Connectivity DIP sockets, however, those are quite expensive. I am not ready to spend €50 on such a small feature for my keyboard, it was supposed to be a cheap keyboard.  :-[

So I ended up with the recommendation for Harwin PCB Sockets, which are quite  a bit cheaper, (coming in at 0,14 instead of 0,24 per piece). I can simply imagine that such simple parts must be available from China, where they can be even less expensive, does anybody have a link?

also, I need help with sizes, what would fit Cherry Switches(I have a set of MX Browns, probably want to try Gateron, Kailh, Outemu and possibly zealios), tolerances might be important.
I assume the YMD96 PCB and sizes of holes are quite similar to the GH60 PCB also sold by YMD.

also, is it possible to use SIP-sockets like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wholesales-DIY-200-pcs-lot-240pcs-lot-Crystal-Base-Long-Pin-Hot-Plug-Hot-Swap-For/32622320922.html
directly on the PCB(so snapping of the pin, and simply pressing it in the PCB, or soldering it to the PCB. in the most instances they attach it in the switch-case, and solder the pin to the PCB, but ofcourse I want to be able to remove the Switch, which such a mounting method would prevent.

these are a lot of questions, but I hope someone could help.
thanks in advance.

Offline clickityClackity

Re: Need some help with creating hot-swap switches.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 08:44:11 »
I wrote a reply last night but it didn't post.. :(

You want some holtites like this:
https://mehkee.com/products/holtite-sockets-for-switches?variant=41169608783

What has worked for me it using a smaller tio on a soldering iron, putting the holtite on the iron, and slowly wedging into the right scoket on the PCB. Just be careful and don't overheat.

I wrote a bunch of intelligible stuff I think but I'm currently brain dead due to my lovely child who recently discovered how to scream at the pitch that causes immediate migraines. directly into my sleeping ears. At 630 AM Mmmmrrbvvdsbbgfgfsvbbrb....... Ugh don't have kids

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-670N using Tapatalk

Offline SoReckless

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 16:28:37 »

What has worked for me it using a smaller tio on a soldering iron, putting the holtite on the iron, and slowly wedging into the right scoket on the PCB. Just be careful and don't overheat.

I wrote a bunch of intelligible stuff I think but I'm currently brain dead due to my lovely child who recently discovered how to scream at the pitch that causes immediate migraines. directly into my sleeping ears. At 630 AM Mmmmrrbvvdsbbgfgfsvbbrb....... Ugh don't have kids

I think GeekHack was broken ealier today, it refused to load for me too.
but thanks for the reply, would love to hear what kind of intelligent stuff you said.  ;D

I already saw a video explaining this. and that person also recommended the holtites(pretty sure the ones on Mehkee might also be made by TE, as they both use the name 'holtite' and they look very similar). and they are also still really expensive, while this is something I am trying to avoid.

I bought the YMD96 because it was cheap, but oh my god is this becoming a money-trap, I am also considering the GMK Zealencio-clones now, and oh boy are nice keycaps expensive.

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 17:14:49 »

I think GeekHack was broken ealier today, it refused to load for me too.
but thanks for the reply, would love to hear what kind of intelligent stuff you said.  ;D

I already saw a video explaining this. and that person also recommended the holtites(pretty sure the ones on Mehkee might also be made by TE, as they both use the name 'holtite' and they look very similar). and they are also still really expensive, while this is something I am trying to avoid.

I bought the YMD96 because it was cheap, but oh my god is this becoming a money-trap, I am also considering the GMK Zealencio-clones now, and oh boy are nice keycaps expensive.

Money trap is the correct word! But when the clack is right, it's easy to justify (that's what I tell myself)

I'm not sure of a cheaper route, but if you plan on changing out your switches it's definitely worth it in my opinion. More so if you're doing it on a board you use regularly, love and will continue to use. Personally a switch tester is cool but I can't really get a good feel unless I use switches for a while. It also gives you the ability to start doing things like swapping springs out without having to De-Solder every time.

Not sure of the video you mentioned but putting it on the tip works great for me. I had several issue putting them straight into the hole - too tedious, and if it comes you have to start over. Hopefully someone knows of a cheaper way but I am definitely all for it!

Offline SoReckless

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 07:33:23 »

I was refering to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB1Wm8y2Cw8

I found that the counterpart from Harwin that would most likely fit, costs just as much as the TE Holtites.
guess there aren't many other options. maybe someone is willing to run a GB again, but last time was in March, so there might not be enough people joining again.

thanks for the help anyway.

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 08:23:16 »

I was refering to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB1Wm8y2Cw8

I found that the counterpart from Harwin that would most likely fit, costs just as much as the TE Holtites.
guess there aren't many other options. maybe someone is willing to run a GB again, but last time was in March, so there might not be enough people joining again.

thanks for the help anyway.
Of course. If you haven't ordered yet I may have extra and can check in a couple hours now many do you need? I'll definitely check the video as well

Offline SoReckless

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 18:27:01 »
Of course. If you haven't ordered yet I may have extra and can check in a couple hours now many do you need? I'll definitely check the video as well

That's very kind of you. but I am not sure if shipping is going to be an issue, I live in the Netherlands. or would it simply fit in a letter-format package, I think those are way less expensive?
anyway, I need 82x2=164 of these, however, I am not completely sure about the layout, and I'll probably **** things up once or twice. so I was thinking about 176-200.

I don't think it would cost-effective to sent a few(so I could see if they work for me) because of the shipping costs. but if you have about 180 I would be happy to buy them from you! just name a price(that is reasonable, this hobby is already killing my wallet :P ).

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 09:36:21 »

That's very kind of you. but I am not sure if shipping is going to be an issue, I live in the Netherlands. or would it simply fit in a letter-format package, I think those are way less expensive?
anyway, I need 82x2=164 of these, however, I am not completely sure about the layout, and I'll probably **** things up once or twice. so I was thinking about 176-200.

I don't think it would cost-effective to sent a few(so I could see if they work for me) because of the shipping costs. but if you have about 180 I would be happy to buy them from you! just name a price(that is reasonable, this hobby is already killing my wallet ).

So I looked up how much I paid and it was more than I remembered. I will still say I don't regret it! since I have the ability to swap switches on the fly, I definitely take advantage! I recently got some MX locking switches, and moving it around to try different layouts is great.

I might have a solution that will work if you're trying to keep it cheap. I have an old board with holtites installed. I don't think there will be any issues getting them off the PCB (it's not working for other reasons) and if you're OK with it I can send them for much cheaper than a new set. There should be around 180 but if it's short I'll make up the difference with new ones.

They're tiny so it should fit in a regular envelope, I don't think shopping will be too much. If that works for you I can probably get to it within the next week or two.

Offline SoReckless

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 06:27:47 »

so I looked up how much I paid and it was more than I remembered. I will still say I don't regret it! since I have the ability to swap switches on the fly, I definitely take advantage! I recently got some MX locking switches, and moving it around to try different layouts is great.

I might have a solution that will work if you're trying to keep it cheap. I have an old board with holtites installed. I don't think there will be any issues getting them off the PCB (it's not working for other reasons) and if you're OK with it I can send them for much cheaper than a new set. There should be around 180 but if it's short I'll make up the difference with new ones.

They're tiny so it should fit in a regular envelope, I don't think shopping will be too much. If that works for you I can probably get to it within the next week or two.

you're being too kind! I just realised I will actually need atleast 100 swithces(I forget to count a whole row, I am used to 60% :P), so I am looking for 220 sockets(little bit of extra wiggle room, because the PCB-removal can also go wrong). I insist that I atleast pay you for the new sockets+ shipping. so that would be 40 added.

and oh my, I should also try to get some locking switches, that would be pretty cool to experiment with!

time isn't an issue, my PCB and case will probably be coming later anyway.

p.s. did you mean that you will be removing them from the PCB for me? that would be even more amazing! I would be fine with you just sending the broken PCB, unless you can find a use for it ofcourse.

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 01:02:31 »
Sending PM