Author Topic: A couple of "new" finds...  (Read 3090 times)

Offline kode

A couple of "new" finds...
« on: Wed, 03 March 2010, 09:57:48 »
In between some cleanouts, both of the computer societys computer hall and the univeritys computer institution, I made a couple of finds which I might need a bit of help identifying and all... First up, a Model M I didn't get to work (perhaps cable damage, there's at least one cut on there which could be severe enough, perhaps it's something else), It's got non-standard key labels anyway, so I'm sort of suspecting it's a terminal keyboard of some sort, which may be why it's not working as-is, even though it has a mini din connector:

The other one is a TECO VA110, which is a board I'd be really interested to know more about, because I've found nothing on it the little I've searched. Once again, I suspect it's a terminal keyboard. Actually, more or less certain. The connector here is a 4P4C/RJ9.

If nothing else, at least I now have a spare M to steal springs and keycaps from - even though 5 of them are sorta missing...

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 March 2010, 11:49:04 »
You use Windows, yes?

With the funny M...boot up with it connected, then hot unplug it and hot plug it in again. See what happens. Either that or just try to enter your BIOS setup on boot with it (this may not work since key maps may be weird).

I'm thinking it'll start working. Same as all the terminal Ms of that style. SOL for definite info though, that part number is a dead end for google results.

Note: "boot up" means from power off...can't reboot, have to power off/power on.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline kode

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 March 2010, 16:35:23 »
Quote from: kishy;161669
You use Windows, yes?

Nah, not really. Every three months or so I boot into it to update it and play some game for a few hours, but not more than that.

Quote from: kishy;161669

With the funny M...boot up with it connected, then hot unplug it and hot plug it in again. See what happens. Either that or just try to enter your BIOS setup on boot with it (this may not work since key maps may be weird).

I'm thinking it'll start working. Same as all the terminal Ms of that style. SOL for definite info though, that part number is a dead end for google results.

Note: "boot up" means from power off...can't reboot, have to power off/power on.

I might try this some time, though, but even so it wouldn't be of much use to me even if it did work, unless I could somehow get it working under GNU as well.

And yeah, searching for the part number was about the first thing I did. Ah, well.

I'm a bit more intrigued by the other keyboard though, because that might be something I'd care to get working for some sort of project like building my own terminal or something like that. It appears that early Apple 'puters used 4P4C for their keyboards as well, but I guess finding out exactly which Teco made it is a good first step...

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 March 2010, 16:48:39 »
Judging by the extra key on the numpad, I'd say that that M is a 3151 or similar terminal keyboard.

Offline kode

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 March 2010, 18:38:07 »
Hah, I hadn't even noticed that extra key.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 March 2010, 20:03:15 »
That IBM is definitely a terminal variant. Although I've never seen a 1/2 key before except for on the typewriters I used.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline kode

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 03:07:59 »
it's primarily a § key, the ½ is the shifted variant of that key. And they're also on all swedish layout keyboards, at least. But yes, it is a terminal keyboard, and like I said I'd be more interested in someone knowing anything about the Teco.

Offline kode

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 11:14:21 »
Found a couple of the terminals the Teco keyboard fits with today, but I wasn't exactly dying to bring one home, so I'll just let it rest. :) I shall have to reverse engineer it whenever I have the time...

Offline kode

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 14:53:51 »

Hmm?

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 15:04:33 »
Quote from: kode;164200
Show Image

Is that the Teco?
Typing on blues.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 17:41:05 »
The model M is missing the logo; phooey. Either it wasn't built with one, or, some bratty school child pulled it off to paste on his backpack.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 17:44:46 »
Actually - I can see the logo. The picture was taken at a bad angle with too much glare.

Offline kode

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 04:14:26 »
It has the logo. I figured everyone's seen an IBM logo before so I didn't spend a whole lot of time bothering with a decent picture of it.

Quote from: Mental Hobbit;164203
Is that the Teco?

Yes. Really dirty under the keys, too.

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 07:58:14 »
If you don't keep the Teco, harvest at least the doubleshots - from this one and any other you can find. Swedish Cherry doubleshots are hard to come by, so either you or some other scandinavian geekhacker will be grateful some day.
I would even pay for them.
Typing on blues.