Author Topic: More About MS Courier  (Read 2721 times)

Offline itlnstln

More About MS Courier
« on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 13:46:26 »
Check it.  It looks pretty cool.

Offline Half-Saint

More About MS Courier
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 14:28:07 »
Cool! I expected a history lesson about Courier font :D
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline itlnstln

More About MS Courier
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 14:40:01 »
Now that you say that, I did make a crappy title.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
More About MS Courier
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 16:06:38 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;162013
Cool! I expected a history lesson about Courier font :D

My thoughts too.

Offline hyperlinked

More About MS Courier
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 17:20:50 »
That is just wicked cool looking. Like the iPad, it suffers from a less than snappy name. What is it with mega companies and the naming of their ultra portable devices?

One thing that will be critical to watch is the fidelity of the pen tool. In these mock-up demos, the user has some impossibly small and neat handwriting. My bet is that in reality, you won't be able to fit as much handwriting in on one page. Pixels can only be so small and the sensors would have to be pin point accurate to produce that much text on a digital device of this size.

It really looks like Microsoft is trying to overcome its reputation for putting out version 1.0's that should have gone through another cycle or two of design and engineering. If that thing is anywhere near what the demos make it appear to be, it will be one slick puppy.

Hopefully they learned something from their rollout of the Zune. I wouldn't even think of buying the first version of a Courier or iPad unless I won the lottery though. Ah, not even if I win the lottery. I don't need more stuff.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline porgo

More About MS Courier
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 11:22:49 »
Agh, a nice debate on different Courier implementations was what I expected, and I weren't alone.
There are no ESC keys in prison (poor vim users)

Offline hyperlinked

More About MS Courier
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 15:40:48 »
DOH! According to Gizmodo, the Courier is dead.

Microsoft Cancels Innovative Courier Tablet Project
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline elservo

More About MS Courier
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 15:57:20 »
Damn.  How could they not move forward on this?
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline itlnstln

More About MS Courier
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 16:02:34 »
That's a shame.  I will reserve further judgment until I hear confirmation from another news source.  I can no longer trust Gizmodo after the whole iPhone thing.  Felons.

Offline itlnstln

More About MS Courier
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 16:06:27 »
Engadget reported the same thing (independently).  It's a damn shame.

Offline elservo

More About MS Courier
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 16:15:10 »
I actually have a courier faq page bookmarked on my Macbook.  I guess I can remove that to save some space on my bookmarks bar.  

Well maybe I'll look into getting an iPad now.  I was looking for something fun to read comic books on.
AEKII(Home)

Offline elservo

More About MS Courier
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 16:39:28 »
I admit that I love the Apple touchscreen tech, and I take to it a bit more naturally than the Moto Droid touchscreen, but I was fighting the iPad, and still am.  Plus, I don't want to get the skin torn off my pinky by toughs that might try to steal my Apple Store bag from me.
AEKII(Home)

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

More About MS Courier
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 20:55:27 »
Microsoft's organizational design is completely screwed and is preventing the company from remaining innovative and expanding in new markets (because even Microsoft realizes that the desktop + office won't sustain them forever).

The problem is that there's so many groups with so many politics (the Office and Tablet guys were always at war- office guys didn't believe in tablet PCs so they wouldn't implement menu support properly, an ex-MS employee has posted about the drama) that nothing gets out.

Meanwhile, they R&D cool devices, and then shelve them. It's completely mind boggling to me.