Author Topic: [IC] Black-on-black PBT dyesub one-piece XT quality buckling spring keycaps  (Read 7808 times)

Offline duncancmt

This thread originally came from DT, but since Ellipse has a thread here, I figured I'd post here as well to make sure we reach the widest possible audience.

Since Ellipse is producing his own keycaps for the F62+F77 GB, he has graciously offered to produce a custom color of caps if there is enough interest. The this keyset is conceptually similar to Originative's Carbon Black MX-compatible caps. The font, profile, and mount will all be the same as the caps Ellipse is producing, and they will be dyesub instead of double shot. Notably, these are different from and higher quality than Unicomp's caps in that Ellipse is doing the dyesubbing himself in order to keep the legends sharp and avoid fuzzy edges, and the stem and typing surface of these caps are all one piece, reducing wobble.

Quote from: Ellipse
Yes if someone wants to track interest in black legends on lighter black PBT we'd need 20 sets to proceed but I'd be up for it as a lower priority add on set only. Quote link

Quote from: Ellipse
I am not sure on the pricing.  For now let's say it will be a little more than the unprinted black, probably $10 more.

Yes all the legends and international key sets would be available in light black printed sets. Quote link

If you're interested, sound off here. When get 20 sets worth of interest, we'll take the next step of getting Ellipse to add this cap color to his GB.

More
User# Sets
DT users26-28
Atredl1
romevi1
Latin000321
___q1
tron1
jzono12
tameone1
LightningXI1
==TOTAL==35-37 (20 needed)

I am not affiliated with Ellipse or the Model F GB. I just posted this thread to keep the main thread less cluttered.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 July 2017, 19:59:33 by duncancmt »

Offline Atredl

Count me in! I've been very interested in something like these for a while now.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Interested! Even if I don't join the Ellipse buy I can use these on my Wheelwriter.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
Interested! Where do I pay!
Take my money!

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
I hope to confirm pricing this week with the factory for the extra very dark gray keycap colors.  It looks like this will happen because we are close to the 20 key set minimum.

Offline ___q

Yeah I would be in for this, would look good with the black compact case.

Offline Atredl

Any way we can confirm which keycaps will be included? Will it come with the same caps that Ellipse is including in his Keydets?

Offline Ellipse

Yes you'd be able to order the same sets as you would with the other colors.  They will probably be $10 more though for the main set and a few dollars more for the small sets.

Offline tron

Very interested in a black on dark grey set. Count me in.

Offline jzono1

Count me in for two sets.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
In
keyboards.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
I'm interested for a set that would cover the F62 Kishsaver in full-HHKB layout (split right shift, split backspace) as well as the extra keys to accommodate for regular Backspace (2u backspace, 1.5u pipe key). Ellipse confirmed that the split backspace layout can be modified into regular backspace so I want to be able to fill both options.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 July 2017, 09:11:16 by LightningXI »

Offline Kavik

Interested if I can swap these for my order of blank black caps. I'll wait for details on this before deciding though.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Interested if I can swap these for my order of blank black caps. I'll wait for details on this before deciding though.

Same on the swap
keyboards.

Offline Ellipse

To keep things simple and avoid any more delays I will be keeping this option as a side option, possibly shipping separately. 

Still waiting on updates from the factory.

Yes Lightning you'll be able to order any extra keys or key sets in the dark grey keys as you can with the other color keys.

Offline duncancmt

Bump!

We're having lots of interest over on DT. We've comfortably exceeded the original MOQ, but you should still sound off if you're interested.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
So you're pretty sure this will go through, and be an add-on option?  I don't mind paying extra on top of my black blank set.. just really want  :cool:
keyboards.

Offline joey

May be interested, depending on the price etc.

Offline duncancmt

So you're pretty sure this will go through?

I don't have any more information than what's in these 2 threads. The stated MOQ is 20 sets, and we have 35 sets worth of interest, which suggests that this will most likely happen. Of course, the final word will be when Ellipse's manufacturer gets back to him.

May be interested, depending on the price etc.

Judging by the listed price on Ellipse's site of $50 for a 103-key printed set, and Ellipse's earlier quote, it seems likely that the price point will be around $60. I'll update this thread when more information is available.

Offline Ellipse

Yes it looks like it will go through, but it will likely ship separately to avoid delaying the project.  I still have to work out the details and pricing with the key manufacturer.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Yes it looks like it will go through, but it will likely ship separately to avoid delaying the project.  I still have to work out the details and pricing with the key manufacturer.

Sounds good!
keyboards.

Offline typischt

I haven't ordered a Model F yet, but I'm strongly considering it.. And if I do, I will certainly be interested in these black on black caps!

Offline Kavik

Re: [IC] Black-on-black PBT dyesub one-piece XT quality buckling spring keycaps
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 12:20:50 »
Just to keep things simple and not delay anything, I am interested in this set as an additional add-on. I don't care about swapping my blank black caps anymore. I'll just buy these in addition to everything else I've already ordered. I will have enough buckling spring boards to fit all these sets onto anyway.

Any updates on when this will be available or pricing details?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 12:26:05 »
Sorry no updates yet on pricing.

Offline Softkore

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 10:37:24 »
I am certainly interested - currently using EnjoyPBT black-on-black, and I wouldn't say no to a new set.

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 10:48:47 »
I am certainly interested - currently using EnjoyPBT black-on-black, and I wouldn't say no to a new set.

This thread is in regards to a black/black set for buckling spring (BS) keyboards, and wouldn't be MX-compatible like the EnjoyPBT set. If you already knew that, ignore this message :)
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 18:47:37 »
Dark gray printed and unprinted sets are now up for order! 

duncancmt as the organizer could you please PM everyone interested? 

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/extra-set-of-brand-new-production-xt-quality-one-piece-keys/

Total cost is $5 less than the $10 expected premium.  These will be a limited early bird color to minimize extra setup charges for the final production run next year.  You can pick free/other shipping if you want to add keys to your current order.

To keep the project on track and avoid extra assembly variations, these are extra sets only - they can't be your only set or installed set if ordering a keyboard.

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 21:34:10 »
Awesome to hear back on this. Thanks for the update! I'll be ordering some to go along with my existing order  :thumb:
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 01:02:27 »
I finally got around to placing an order for these. In addition to the F77, I have three Model Ms now: two full size and one SSK, so these will have no trouble finding a home.  ;D

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 15:37:06 »
Here is the expected dark gray reference color:

https://originative.co/products/pbt-carbon-black

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 06:52:33 »
I got Black blanks with my black ultra-compact case, and also recently a set printed blue, so... Might as well also get the Grey on black. I love my originative set for my MX boards.

I keep having to keep myself from just buying one of every extra keyset he's offering... I'll probably cave on the second run. 
I have 3 other buckling spring boards on top of the ultra-compact I have coming! 

Ooh, maybe I'll plasti-dip my yellowed A/T case and make a stealth A/T ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 January 2018, 06:56:30 by vewy_nice »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 21:15:55 »
The factory is ready to start the dark gray color mixing.  It's difficult for me to tell from the keyboard photos.  What's a recommended Pantone/RAL value for the dark grey printed keys?  Please post your recommendations!