Author Topic: [IC] Timber Ergodox Stand/Bottom Half Case  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Banderschnitzel

[IC] Timber Ergodox Stand/Bottom Half Case
« on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 01:48:55 »
Hey everyone!

After looking at the various options for tilt/tent for the ergodox, I wasn't really happy with any of them. I wanted sculpted hand rests that were joined to the keyboard for portability, and I wanted some nice angles built into the stand. I spent a few days messing around with the idea and eventually came up with these.

They're machined out of a solid piece of timber (I didn't have anything big enough at the time, hence the lamination), and then finished by hand. As of yet, I'm only looking at doing the bottom half of the case, since I think that the contrast between the acrylic and the timber looks good, but if enough people show interest I may look at developing a top half to match.

Depending on timber choice, of course, I would be looking at $150 - $200 US per set. That is a really rough estimate, and more interest would probably drive the price down.

Let me know if you are interested, and any feedback or suggestions for development.

Offline deeoh

Re: [IC] Timber Ergodox Stand/Bottom Half Case
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 05:28:06 »
Those are gorgeous! I don't have an ergo, but I'll make sure my coworker (who does) sees this! Any thoughts on a Let's Split version?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline Banderschnitzel

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 23:32:03 »
Thanks!!

As for the let's split version, would you actually want any angles or hand rests built in, or would you just want a normal case made from timber?

Offline okaa

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 16:12:03 »
I have an EZ atm and propably will add a normal ErgoDox with the next drop. As my EZ is white I would love some red or black wood. I am a sucker for nice woods like wenge or bubinga, if you could source something like this I would be highly tempted to spent some money on this. ;)

Offline Banderschnitzel

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 18:48:51 »
That's definitely possible, but those are some quite expensive timbers you've mentioned there. You would be looking at somewhere around $90 extra just for materials. They are beautiful timbers, but if that's getting too steep, then there are alternatives. Of course there's stains in cheaper hardwoods, or there are cheaper timbers with similar colors, but both options lack the figure that makes those timbers stand out so much.
So long as you don't want them in ebony I should be able to make it happen.
When the time comes, and if you are still interested, let me know, and I should be able to quote you more exact numbers.

Offline deeoh

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 21:04:25 »
Thanks!!

As for the let's split version, would you actually want any angles or hand rests built in, or would you just want a normal case made from timber?
Hmm, maybe angles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline okaa

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 15:20:31 »
90$ seems reasonable. I mean we are talking about 100$+ just for a wrist rest... ;)

From which country would you be shipping? (Because VAT or import tax)

Offline Banderschnitzel

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 01:32:32 »
Hmm, maybe angles.

Seeing as I do not have a Let's Split I would have to leave the development of that up to someone who does. I had to play around with my ergodox for quite a while before I found what was comfortable. I ended up with three degrees of rotation up in the middle, and five degrees of rotation up in the back, but I'm not sure whether or not that would transfer over to a Let's Split.

90$ seems reasonable. I mean we are talking about 100$+ just for a wrist rest... ;)

From which country would you be shipping? (Because VAT or import tax)

Well when the keyboard itself costs up to $300, reason has already abandoned us.  :))

I would be shipping from Australia.