Author Topic: The best remapping (layout) for the apple wireless A1255  (Read 2086 times)

Offline ibu

The best remapping (layout) for the apple wireless A1255
« on: Mon, 08 March 2010, 18:18:05 »
I know, the most of you do not like the switches of the apple wireless keyboard.

I need to do some remapping. I would appreciate some inspiration.
What is the best remapping/layout?

Does someone of you uses Capslock e. g. as a modifier key?
What is the best shortcut for HOME and END, for DEL, PRINT, ...

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 March 2010, 01:23:48 by ibu »

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 March 2010, 19:52:01 »
I'm not using an Apple keyboard, but this is what I have mapped on my Mac. This is basically stuff borrowed from the Matias Optimizer layout. The key difference that I like about this over the HHKB layout is that the arrow keys are moved over to give you an inverted-T shape that you can hit with your strongest fingers instead of a diamond cluster that you work with your little finger.

• Option and Alt Switched (So that my PC layout keyboard matches a Mac layout)
  • CAPS ----> Control
  • CTRL-I,J,K,L ----> up, left, down, right arrow keys
  • CTRL-[ ----> Forward Delete
  • CTRL-space ----> Enter key (numpad variety)
  • CTRL-A ----> Apple Key-Left Arrow (Browse backwards in Web browser/other navigation)
  • CTRL-S ----> Apple Key-Right Arrow (Browse forward)
I find just the arrow keys and the forward delete alone to be an invaluable time saver for programming.

The remap of the Keypad Enter key is very useful when working in Photoshop or other Adobe programs in which hitting Return means adding a line break to a block of text, but hitting enter means accepting your text input and returning to a normal editor mode. It saves me from having to take my hand off the mouse and find it again over and over again.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 March 2010, 20:08:12 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 March 2010, 19:59:12 »
Those chiclet Apple keyboards are the best ones they've made in a couple of decades. After years of using those white pieces of sticky Chinese trash and stupid one-button mice though, I have an eternal bias against Apple-branded peripherals.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ibu

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 01:39:52 »
Quote from: ripster;162629
I like the switches on the Apple Wireless. It's the chiclet superflat keys I couldn't stand.

Anyway, I'd recommend starting out with a HHKB Junior layout:

- Capslock becomes CTRL

Do you only need a CTRL on the left side?

I thought of that remapping:
CMD (right) -> ALTGR
ALT (right) -> CTRL

Just because the modifier CTRL is used more often than CMD (WIN).
What do you think about that idea?
Quote from: ripster;162629
- \ becomes Backspace
Hhmm. I'm used to the QWERTZ layout. The "/" in QWERTY is "-" in QWERTZ.
That is a character which is used very often.
I don't think it is useful to remap "-".

May be the eject button is a nice place for DEL (I don't use DVDs)?
I'm insecure.

Offline ibu

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 02:19:19 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;162635
The key difference that I like about this over the HHKB layout is that the arrow keys are moved over to give you an inverted-T shape that you can hit with your strongest fingers instead of a diamond cluster that you work with your little finger.

My apple keyboard A1255 is the one without a numpad.
It has an inverted T-shape, not a diamond cluster, for the arrow keys.
Of course, not for the strong finger, but at the right bottom edge of the keyboard for the small finger.

Sounds like a smart idea to map the arrow keys to the strong right finger.  

• CTRL-[ ----> Forward Delete

You mean "deleting the character on the right side of the cursor" which is the usual function of DEL, don't you?
If so: I'm insecure, if I will appreciate a combination instead of single key for that important function.

• CTRL-A ----> Apple Key-Left Arrow (Browse backwards in Web browser/other navigation)
  • CTRL-S ----> Apple Key-Right Arrow (Browse forward)
Both combinations are tabu for me, because I'm to much used to the functions "Mark all" and "Save".

Thanks for your suggestions :)

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 02:46:23 »
Quote from: ibu;162683
the character on the right side of the cursor" which is the usual function of DEL, don't you?

Yup. It's the key that's normally part of the cluster of 6 keys above the arrow keys on a fully 104 key board.

Quote from: ibu;162683
Both combinations are tabu for me, because I'm to much used to the functions "Mark all" and "Save".

Those don't go away. I use those all the time too, but those are by default mapped to your Apple Key + A and Apple Key +S combos. That remains intact.

The way it looks when you're using it is you hold down the caps lock and press the A key to go back in your browser and the S key to go forward.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ibu

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 03:51:04 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;162688

Those don't go away. I use those all the time too, but those are by default mapped to your Apple Key + A and Apple Key +S combos. That remains intact.

May be I missunderstand you. But my OS is Windows. The Apple Key is used as Win Key.

Therefore I don't want that APPLE Key + A should have the function "Mark all".

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 03:55:24 »
Quote from: ibu;162696
May be I missunderstand you. But my OS is Windows. The Apple Key is used as Win Key.

Therefore I don't want that APPLE Key + A should have the function "Mark all".

Oh, well then substitute the ALT key for the control key for any mappings on the left hand or perhaps substitute the ALT key for the CTRL key straight up. I've always found the Windows habit of mapping desktop shortcuts to the CTRL key to be wrong headed because it's so much harder to hit the CTRL key and other keys.

If you're not making maximum use of your ALT key, you're missing out. Join the par-TAY! :party:
-