Author Topic: Soldering off-center switch LEDs?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
Soldering off-center switch LEDs?
« on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 07:00:20 »
I received some MX Lock switches a while back. Otherwise installing would be straight-forward, but I can't seem to figure out how to solder a LED into it.

Most switches I've seen have four LED pinholes along the side, but 99% of the time the LEDs just use the two middle ones (that are right in the center of the switch):

Code: [Select]
      |  |
      v  v
+--------------+
|  o (o  o) o  |
|    ------    |
|    |    |    |
|    ------    |
+--------------+

But now with the lock switch the LED is positioned off-center and it would use two pinholes from the edge:

Code: [Select]
   |  |
   v  v
+--------------+
| (o  o) o  o  |
|    ------    |
|    |    |    |
|    ------    |
+--------------+

Most if not all common PCBs only support the pinholes that are in the center of the switch.

I took a peek at a Gateron switch I had handy and it has a small cavity between the switch top and base where you could bend the LED pins to take a curve into the center or edge pinholes. The problem with the lock switches I received is that there is no cavity there to make this happen, you're forced to use the pinholes in the edge.

If I were to try bending the pins under the switch (between the switch and the PCB) the pins would make contact and short the circuit.

How could I go around this and solder a LED into the off-center position on the switch, on a PCB that only has holes that align to the center of the switch? Or am I out of luck with this without a very custom PCB?

I can try and take some photos of the switches when I get home if that helps explain the situation more.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Re: Soldering off-center switch LEDs?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 21:20:04 »
Photos are always helpful.

Could you add a couple holes to the PCB (without damaging any traces, or if damaging them, re-route those as well), and route wires for the LED underneath?
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
Re: Soldering off-center switch LEDs?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 21:57:58 »
You can (in theory) cut the bottom of the switch to allow for bending the legs to make it fit. I'd suggest using an SMD-compatible bottom to make this easier.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear