Author Topic: [IC] GMK Ochray  (Read 4457 times)

Offline fouras

[IC] GMK Ochray
« on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 00:45:08 »
GMK Ochray is loosely based off the Raytheon 6104-04. (Of the few vintage boards I know, It's easily my favorite.) The set features Dolch-colored alphas surrounded by dark brown modifiers, cream legends, and accents of mustard yellow.

Base

Spacebars

I'd also like to include an add-on kit of Cyrillic alphas. The molds already exist from Yuri, and I think they're a good match for these colors.

base colorlegend color
alphasCCU9
modifiers#29211CU9
accents#946A21U9

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 August 2017, 13:39:17 by fouras »

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
Re: [IC] GMK Ochray
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 01:18:19 »
Looks great

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline neralo

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 01:57:51 »
I like the inspiration for this set, will be keeping an eye on your progress with this.
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline thokir

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 05:15:24 »
Colemak kit please.
Then it'd be verryyyy nice  :thumb:

Offline Petch

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 08:01:40 »
Looks nice

Vendor?

Offline avid

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 08:39:39 »
Where do you plan to run? The cyrillics kit sold 175 (base 935) for yuri. Keep in mind they offered separate modifiers, so you didnt had to buy base+cyrillics. If you offer this as extra, people will get stuck with an extra alpha set.

I think MOQ on that will be hard outside of a MD vendor.

Quite like the colorway. Brown is probably one of the most underused colors and i love the yellow mustard. Probably going to join this.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 August 2017, 08:50:09 by avid »

Offline fouras

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 13:56:24 »
Looks great

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Colemak kit please.
Then it'd be verryyyy nice  :thumb:

I'll offer one if this makes it to Massdrop. Unfortunately, anywhere else has no chance of meeting MoQ.

Looks nice

Vendor?

Thanks. Not sure on vendor yet.

Where do you plan to run? The cyrillics kit sold 175 (base 935) for yuri. Keep in mind they offered separate modifiers, so you didnt had to buy base+cyrillics. If you offer this as extra, people will get stuck with an extra alpha set.

Quite like the colorway. Brown is probably one of the most underused colors and i love the yellow mustard. Probably going to join this.

Yeah, thinking about it now, it's gonna be tough to make the Cyrillics work. Even if the price is low enough to sell without a separate icon modifiers set, they'd look weird with English mods.

Offline Jampu

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 19:06:57 »

Yeah, thinking about it now, it's gonna be tough to make the Cyrillics work. Even if the price is low enough to sell without a separate icon modifiers set, they'd look weird with English mods.

The Cyrillic-only alphas are awesome - it's so hard to find non-QWERTY GMK kits.  Hopefully either that or a Dvorak/Colemak pack makes it to the GB.

Offline lovetree

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 10:23:13 »
The colors are nice.
But what about changing colors to reflect the original color way of the old board?
I think using #29211C for alphas and #946A21 for modifier might make it better.

Offline Auk

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 10:53:17 »
Cyrillic

It's easy to say now with hindsight, but during and after the Yuri drop we figured out that the Cyrillic offering could've been improved. People did buy combinations of Cyrillic + icon modifiers + spacebars, both with and without the base kit. Without the base kit Cyrillic + icon modifiers + spacebars was enough to support many 60% boards. With the base kit included, buyers could almost cover two keyboards but may be left wanting some extra arrow keys, and some extra 1u keys for 65%-68% type boards.

Some ideas for Cyrillic kits with wider compatibility/flexibility:
  • Offer a complete alternative base kit with Cyrillic and Icons in place of the regular alphas and modifiers.
  • Create a kit with Cyrillic + icon modifiers + spacebars + extra arrow keys + extra 1u keys (Del, Ins, Fn, PgUp, PgDn etc. covering rows 1-4, to cover keyboards like the 660M and derivatives.)
  • Include a second set of arrow keys somewhere, if not in the base kit as part of an additional accents of novelties set (noted they are currently in the Ochray base kit.)
  • Include extra 1u 'various' keys somewhere else.

Icons

Cyrillic and icons are great, but some of the 'various' keys without icons may look jarring: Ins, Del, PgUp, PgDn, PrtSc, Pause, Home, End. Possibly you could add Fn and the F row to this list.

Suggestion: broaden the icon kit to include the 'various' keys (I don't think this is impossible as it may seem, but it could depend on interest in this set and GMK's progress expanding their range of molds.)

Colemak & other layouts

Colevrak kits seem to be the go to option for keyset group buys. However I'd love to see Colemak in particular incorporated into a base kit someday, and maybe coverage for a wider range of alternative layouts.

Also would like the row 4 D and H for Colemak Mod-DH included as part of a Colemak/Colevrak set.

IIRC Carpalx and Workman would need 8-10 keys more than a typical Colevrak kit, so for a popular colorway there might be a possibility to cover more of these alternative layouts.

Homing keys

My preference is for no homing keys (just regular profile, no scoops, dishes or bars) so I'd like those included in base alphas and Cyrillic.

Probably of wider interest: Nautilus GB had plenty of people asking for barred homing keys in addition to the scoops. I don't see why it's a deal breaker, but some people say it is... If cost is an issue I would choose the scoops only as I don't think Nautilus was significantly hurt by this choice.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 August 2017, 11:18:57 by Auk »