Author Topic: KeLorean - How I did it  (Read 3338 times)

Offline KeLorean

KeLorean - How I did it
« on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 21:01:27 »

My posts have now been approved on Artisan Services, so this tread will serve to teach others how I implemented the techniques that I came up with...the hype is real.  Stay tuned.
Wanted to make resin cast caps since about January, but have really been waiting for this guy:

Then I bought a bunch of stuff like pressure chamber, vacuums chamber, and other various tools.
For designing I've been using Super Sculpey Firm, but lately I've been exploring Monster Clay (these designs are yet to come.)
I've been using basically the same stuff everyone else is using really, such as smooth-on silicone and urethane resins.
My first dozen casts were baby steps that felt like giant leaps.  I was really excited each time something came out of the pressure pot.  However, there were a lot of little issues, such as poor sculpting dimensions that didn't fit on keyboard, too little pigment, and of coarse bubbles.  All of it was really no huge issue, but I still didn't want to post anything until I had something worth while.
Here is my first cast that I used two different resin colors back to back before putting in the pressure chamber:

Then I had the idea to make a series of lost treasures.  This design was based on ancient Incan art.  I cast it with gold flake for affect.  I like to call it: King Arequipa and the Lost Treasure of Machu Picchu:

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 August 2017, 02:30:58 by KeLorean »
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline KeLorean

Re: Making Artisans
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 21:04:47 »
more to come
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline Kenda

Re: KeLorean - How I did it
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 21:04:02 »
Looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 07:31:21 »
Looking good

thx Kenda. coincidentally i was just thinking about how much i love your style and thought i should say so. most people make scary monsters and ur making stuff that makes me smile. thats cool. and it means a lot to me that u are the first person to actually comment on my thread, so i'd like to send u one of my King Ari. i'll PM u.

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 09:13:52 »
Can't wait to find out how you came up with the profile for the cap!

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 10:03:41 »
Can't wait to find out how you came up with the profile for the cap!
im not really sure what u mean by profile. do u mean the idea or the shape? and i'd like to send u a giveaway of my king ari for being the first person who wanted to know something about my keycaps. i'll PM u.

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 10:53:10 »
For the submarine, did you pour in black resin and then yellow resin before the black cured and then put the whole thing in your pressure pot?
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 11:00:38 »
For the submarine, did you pour in black resin and then yellow resin before the black cured and then put the whole thing in your pressure pot?
i did. and i'll send u one for being the first authentic danger i've encountered in a long time. i'll PM u

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 16:09:46 »
The submarine cap looks cool, good work so far!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 20:54:53 »
This is very interesting. I will be waiting for the updates :D.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 09:51:57 »
Staying tuned. Kudos for gold things.