Author Topic: [IC] DSA (or SA?) Forested Nights  (Read 3061 times)

Offline eyeless

[IC] DSA (or SA?) Forested Nights
« on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 16:37:44 »
This is my first interest check and first experience with organizing any kind of group buy, so stay with me.

Please refrain from leaving comments about this sets similarities to DCS Midnight. That is one of my personal favorite sets in color scheme and this set is inspired by it but in a form I prefer to type on. I have infinite respect for /u/matt3o

EDIT/UPDATE:

Thanks for the feedback so far! Looks like we are going with DSA currently. I will be creating a second interest check soon that will be the final one before the group buy, if I can get confirmation that enough people are interested through a form that will be on that new post. Still have not heard back from SP on pricing, but when they do, I will be posting it on the new interest check, so stay tuned!

UPDATE 2017/9/05: I heard back from Signature Plastics about pricing, Will wait to post it though because I am waiting for the pricing of seperate compatibility kits. The kit will be DSA ABS Doubleshot,
One note, I live in Canada and since they are going to be shipping the keycaps to me, I will likely be hit with tax and a handling fee by Canada Post. This means for each set I am going to have to add on an additional set charge for each set, which will drive the cost up a bit.

If anyone has ever ran a GB out of British Columbia, Canada, please get in contact with me and run me through their experience and if they were charged by Canada Post. I may also have to find someone in the US who is willing to take the GB over and ship everything if it turns out it will cost to much to get the sets to me. Thanks for the support everyone.

Color scheme of keycaps: http://imgur.com/a/3aPfl

EDIT: Updated render of the set. I am familiar with c4d but not blender so I couldn't make this myself. Still working on the bottom row and designing the keycaps for them. Colors aren't accurate but you at least get to see the custom keycaps so far. The work continues!

Link: http://imgur.com/gallery/6dbQH

DSA Forested Nights is a set made mostly for 60% and similar boards with compatibility for Full Size, TKL, and various others through compatibility packs.

This set started as a personal fantasy inspired by a mix of the DCS Midnight keyset and the colors from a piece of pixel art I have been working on and off on for the past month or so. I decided that since I had no way of getting a set like this on my own, I would try and get a group buy going.

The set will be doubleshot ABS seeming how I have no way of getting PBT caps with the font being lighter than the base :/

Font will be the SP standard Gorton Modified, it is the cleanest font for keycaps in my personal opinion and I think it will look fantastic on this set.

As for the color of text, the plastic I am going with is a darker shade than what is found on DCS Midnight. It leans more towards green than blue, which can be seen in this picture here (The left color chip is what was used in DCS Midnight)

Link to color difference: https://imgur.com/a/6uBNk

I am still working on designing the novelty keycaps for this set. They will be a 1u key meant to replace the escape key in the same offset tealish color as the font and enter key. Control, Windows, Alt, and Function key, will likely consist of the tree pictured above, A mountain, and a moon, all with a circle bordering them too keep some level of continuity, but this is subject to change.

Do you want this set in DSA or SA?: http://www.strawpoll.me/13861432 Set will be in DSA.

Strawpoll for layout compatibility: http://www.strawpoll.me/13861425

All feedback for this set is appreciated, as this is my first time running an interest check or (possibly) the group buy.

I am still waiting on a quote from SP about a rough estimate of the pricing. Along with this, if there is enough interest for this set I am going to need to learn how to figure out how to run the group buy. I know many will be skeptical of a first timer actually going through with this but this is a passion project for me and any money I do make from it will be going into buying my first car. If anyone who is experienced with running group buys and shipping etc could get in contact with me and give me a small walkthrough when it comes to shipping all of these out I would really appreciate it. We all need to start somewhere, and I am going to make this happen if it kills me.

Thank you all, and I will update you as soon as I get a pricing quote from SP.

EDIT: Also posted on /r/mechmarket here: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/6y383x/ic_dsa_or_sa_forested_nights/?st=j76nwxt5&sh=5656592d

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2017, 20:11:55 by eyeless »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] DSA (or SA?) Forested Nights
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 18:39:26 »
Love the idea and colorway.  Voted DSA all day long.  Let Maxkey run SA kits until people realize how they suck for typing. 

/turnsonthepopcornmachine

Offline eyeless

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 18:56:23 »
Love the idea and colorway.  Voted DSA all day long.  Let Maxkey run SA kits until people realize how they suck for typing. 

/turnsonthepopcornmachine

I'll take note of this. I've never actually owned a set of SA caps myself but included them because I like the way they look and they seemed to be fairly popular. I love my DSA caps though and from the voting so far people are favoring it!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 19:06:48 »
You know how tactile switches feel amazeballs when you click them slowly but somehow loose their appeal at full speed?... it's the same for me with SA.

I have 5 SA kits (chocolatier, pulse, danger zone, industrial, and Filco brown hipro) They are beautiful.  They feel good, too.  But damnit, I cannot type on them comfortably.  The all R3 ones are a bit better, but they stilll slow me down.  I love them and use them often, but they wouldn't be my go-to if you made me choose.

All personal opinion of course, but I sure hope your set ends up at DSA

Offline bkw1209

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 04:02:37 »
I want SA!!

Offline bendim

• Maker-Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 12:38:26 »
Prefer SA too.
Planck Hand Wired

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 13:06:41 »
DSA.

PS: about time someone makes a Midnight-esque set - I LOVE Midnight, was my very first venture into the hobby and I'd be very happy if I could get something this similar to it in a proper profile. I really don't like SA so that'd potentially make me reconsider but other than that I'm good.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 September 2017, 21:42:23 by Vigrith »

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 21:07:11 »
R3 SA.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden