Author Topic: Mount "| \" key switch on universal 60% plate?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline flintlock

Mount "| \" key switch on universal 60% plate?
« on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 12:03:44 »
I just received my univeral 60% aluminum plate, and I am using it for a hand wired build. However, I discovered that that lack of a piece of aluminum divide between the Enter slot and the "| \" slot makes it impossible to secure the switch for "| \" key. What is the usual solution to this?

Here is a link of the plate I am using:

https://www.amazon.com/stabilizers-Universal-Anodized-Aluminum-Positioning/dp/B06XJM7Z58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504803784&sr=8-2&keywords=60%25+keyboard+plate

Thanks in advance!

Offline AuthenticDanger

Re: Mount "| \" key switch on universal 60% plate?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 12:11:21 »
Hot glue may be the answer here. That's what I would do, but I've never done a handwired keyboard using a universal plate.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 12:18:47 »
That sounds like a lot of trouble and a not-very-secure mount, is there a better way. I am thinking along the lines of building a bracket support with acrylic and glue it onto the aluminum. Why didn't I just buy an ANSI board in the first place.  :'(

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 12:19:03 »
Yes, because "universal" plates are for universal PCBs. Holes are also enlarged for fitting PCB-mounted stabilisers for the Space Bar, left and right Shift, Enter and Backspace. Most 60% plates were made to be compatible with Poker - which was a PCB-mounted keyboard.
Those plates also don't extend outside the dimensions of the PCB - they are actually suspended by the switches. The purpose of those plates is mostly to alter the feel, for bling and for extra protection against things that could fall in-between the keys.
The best solution would be to ... eh.. buy a GH60 PCB.

You could fill gaps with pieces of aluminium, backed with pieces of aluminium glued with extra strong epoxy but that would be only to keep the switches from sliding and would not support the "\ | " key or any plate-mounted stabilisers very well... and you would need to do this in several places so it could be a lot of fiddly work to fit everything in. (unless you have access to a CNC router or plasma cutter, but then you would better have made a new complete plate from the beginning ...)
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 September 2017, 12:26:14 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 12:19:54 »
That sounds like a lot of trouble and a not-very-secure mount, is there a better way. I am thinking along the lines of building a bracket support with acrylic and glue it onto the aluminum. Why didn't I just buy an ANSI board in the first place.  :'(

Yeah, adding material might make it a bit more sturdy. You could always get a universal PCB.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 12:31:54 »
Yes, because "universal" plates are for universal PCBs. Holes are also enlarged for fitting PCB-mounted stabilisers for the Space Bar, left and right Shift, Enter and Backspace. Most 60% plates were made to be compatible with Poker - which was a PCB-mounted keyboard.
Those plates also don't extend outside the dimensions of the PCB - they are actually suspended by the switches. The purpose of those plates is mostly to alter the feel, for bling and for extra protection against things that could fall in-between the keys.
The best solution would be to ... eh.. buy a GH60 PCB.

You could fill gaps with pieces of aluminium, backed with pieces of aluminium glued with extra strong epoxy but that would be only to keep the switches from sliding and would not support the "\ | " key or any plate-mounted stabilisers very well... and you would need to do this in several places so it could be a lot of fiddly work to fit everything in. (unless you have access to a CNC router or plasma cutter, but then you would better have made a new complete plate from the beginning ...)

What about ANSI plates then, are they suitable for hand wiring? Because I already have several teensy chips, and I know how to program them.

PS: Do you think I can sell the universal plate on geekhack?
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 September 2017, 12:50:13 by flintlock »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 12:37:21 »
The only plate I would consider for hand wiring would be one with just normal switch cutouts where switchtop removal is not an option. These are much more popular in the asian communites since the concept of switchtop removal started here with the phantom KB PCB and plate, but I think they are catching on even there. You could just get a GON skinny case. I have worked with these in the past and they are awesome. Instead of laster cut they are thicker aluminium and actually machined to fit the tab on the switch. Expensive but well worth it. http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/38-gon-ns-skinny-housing-only.html The other thing to do is to take a plate designed for a production keyboard and cut it down with a saw. Back in the days you could get a Rosewill 104 very cheaply and people used to buy them and harvest the switches.

You could very likely sell the plate on GH once you have classifieds access.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 12:57:28 »
I would not order from GON. There are a few threads about that guy/company that show that it may not be so trustworthy any more.
🍉

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 13:03:50 »
The Swill's tool for plates is your best bet, you can design your own, which is very easy and have it cutted, and then you will have exactly what you need. Universal plates are designed to build on a PCB. For this there are many PCBs available under $50, I do not see the need to hand wired something, unless, what you want is extra special that no PCB can cover.