Author Topic: Custom cables. Brass wires ok?  (Read 1524 times)

Offline fnurl

Custom cables. Brass wires ok?
« on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 14:18:45 »
I am thinking of making some custom cables for some keyboards and went ahead and bought multistranded wire from Aliexpress. Later I noticed that I bought brass rather than copper. Will this be an issue?

I am not planning on making the cables very long (<1m), and it's just for keyboards.

Offline MykB77

Re: Custom cables. Brass wires ok?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 14:40:41 »
Brass doesn't conduct as well as copper and is less flexible.  If the cables are <1m you should still be okay but don't bend them around much.

Offline fnurl

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 16:28:56 »
Brass doesn't conduct as well as copper and is less flexible.  If the cables are <1m you should still be okay but don't bend them around much.

Thanks, will consider ordering some copper wires as backup then, despite the description carrying the words "Super flexible" ;) Good thing they were cheap :)

Offline yoippari

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 00:27:27 »
Looking at conductivity ratings and I can't remember if these values actually convert in this way but brass is 28% as conductive as copper. I take that to mean that it would have roughly 4 times the resistance as a similar length copper cable. So a 1m brass cable will have the resistance of a 4m copper cable. I don't think there should be an signal loss but maybe check to see if there is any voltage drop at the end of your wire.