Author Topic: TRS-80 Model II, xwhatsit Model F to USB  (Read 3035 times)

Offline OldIsNew

TRS-80 Model II, xwhatsit Model F to USB
« on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 20:43:48 »
After XMIT  mentioned on another thread that he thought it was likely that the xwhatsit would work with KeyTronic foam and foil boards since they're capacitive like the Model F, I definitely wanted to try it and it works like a charm. I used the xwhatsit on a Westinghouse KeyTronic board with good results and this one is a TRS-80 Model II board. The case is somewhat flimsy plastic but I like the look and  internally it's a "vintage" KeyTronic foam and foil.

178654-0          178656-1

The old foam and foil had degraded as usual so I replaced it:

178658-2          178660-3

Mapping the matrix is easy with these boards since they have such nice big conductive pads and it's just a matter of using a continuity tester to figure out which pads are connected to each other.
After that just recorded which IC pin  corresponded to which row/column.  Then desoldered the ICs and wired the xwhatsit to the pads.

178662-4          178664-5

It's not even necessary to keep track of which PCB pads correspond to which keys since that all gets assigned in the xwhatsit Capsense Keyboard Utility.

178672-6

Interestingly the matrix on this board was 8 rows  x 12 columns which was the same as the Westinghouse KeyTronic board.  If it happens that KeyTronic stuck to the 8 rows by "x" column pattern then I would imagine almost any KeyTronic foam and foil could use the xwhatsit since the xwhatsit Model F can accommodate up to 8 rows by 16 columns.  I have another KeyTronic PCB left over from another project and I'll probably trace that out to see if it fits the pattern.

I also sanded and repainted the case because it was a bit of a mess.

178666-7          178668-8          178670-9

This board is working well with the voltage threshold set at 193 (typing this with it) . I never got a TRS-80 back in the day because they were quite expensive and, as my father said, "Nobody needs a computer in their house!" At least I have a keyboard now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 September 2017, 20:55:25 by OldIsNew »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: TRS-80 Model II, xwhatsit Model F to USB
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 21:05:27 »
Wow this is awesome! I love mods like this. Maybe I'll add a controller to one of my old Keytronic boards.

I love all the guard traces they have on the PCB to prevent leakage.

Now I dont think these were all that great to type on: any thoughts?

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 15:53:30 »
I love all the guard traces they have on the PCB to prevent leakage.

I do think it is a nice touch - someone put some thought into the board.

Now I dont think these were all that great to type on: any thoughts?

I like the switches actually. At least on the three older KeyTronic boards I have, I find the switches to be nice smooth linears. I really do like typing on them.

Offline wolf

• Ah, yeah, g'day.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 03:31:41 »
OMFG!  This is a bigger nostalgia trip than a K-TEL record!  I remember the "Trash Eighty" from back in the day - never was in the financial league to buy one but I had rich friends who had them.

What a fantastic restoration/upgrade/modernisation project!

I remember having to repair an old foam and foil keyboard back in the eighties by gluing bits of aluminium foil onto pieces of foam cut to size - never had to do the whole board, though, just a couple of keys at a time.  IIRC, I've got an old foam and foil board around here somewhere in my junk pile - doesn't date back to 1979, though.
Have keyboard, will travel...