Author Topic: Free Topre Realforce all 55g giveaway!  (Read 27317 times)

Offline Ranma13

Free Topre Realforce all 55g giveaway!
« on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 23:21:54 »
I'm giving away a free Topre Realforce all 55g. If you've read the other thread I've posted on it, you'll know that I spilled a small amount of coffee on the keyboard between the 9 and 0 keys, which caused them to stick. I've since then cleaned it out with alcohol and soap and water, and they are working fine now.

However, because I did say that I would give away the keyboard, I'm keeping my word and offering it to whoever can give me the best reason why they should get it. So post away as to why you think you deserve it, and I'll send it to you for free! I'll even pay for S&H! USA people only though, unless international shipping is not that expensive.

P.S. This is not a scam. The keyboard is in full working condition with the original box, key puller, red/black escape key, and purple WASD keys. Essentially, it's the same thing as getting one from elitekeyboards.com, except this one had coffee spilled on it and was taken apart. All I need from you is your address to ship it to you, I don't even need your name. If you don't believe that someone can be so generous, have a little faith :).
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87U variable-weight, Filco Majestouch Brown Cherry Otaku, Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate
Mice (trackball): CH DT225, IBM L40, CST LaserTRAC, Kensington Orbit
Mice (regular): Logitech G9, Steelseries Xai, Roccat Kova, Razer Orochi

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Re: Free Topre Realforce all 55g giveaway!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 23:31:05 »
I'll take it, that is my shipping address is in Canada (eastern or western Canada, take your pick :P).

I'm probably one of the least deserving as I can just head over to Tokyo and pick one up :P.

I could also say that I'm a starving student (which is true), but that would be somewhat misleading in my case.

At the end of the day you're probably the most deserving :P.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline caecusum

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 23:40:56 »
Although my case might not be particularly exciting or funny, I think it's reasonably valid.  I'm in my mid-twenties, just finished my four year computer science degree, and am entering a PhD CS program this fall, expected to take roughly five years.  Five years which will include more than a little bit of typing.  I am squeaking by on loans, living in a toy of an apartment, and currently writing/coding for hours every day on the most outrageous piece of junk HP rubber dome keyboard you can imagine which came free with my budget desktop.

I drool over the posts on these forums somewhat regularly with pipe dreams of scraping together enough money to buy a really nice keyboard, though never had reason to register until this.  My living situation (roommates) coupled with my work schedule (night owl) keeps me from being able to pick up an old buckling spring keyboard for fear of noise problems.  The Topre, being reputedly both quiet and comfortable, fulfills every criteria I have with the single, notable exception of the price-tag.  You have the power to fill that large gap in my daily life!

That's all.  I appreciate any consideration as well as your generosity regardless of the outcome.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 23:45:37 »
I agree that you should probably keep it.

However, if you're determined to give it away, :smile:

I have selfish reasons for wanting it, my interested in mechanical keyboards recently revived for whatever reason and I am trying to get new switch types to try.  I pretty much spent my budget on some used cherry switch keyboards to try those.  I'd love to try a topre but it's out of my budget for now.

Slightly less selfish, I'm also trying to evangelize my kids (and others), make them see what is so great about mechanical keyboards.  I showed my Northgate to my oldest son and tried to convince him but he turned up his nose at it.  I told him what a classic with was, how great the mechanical switches were and what it was still worth after all these years.  Without missing a beat he replied "sell it then".  My wife was proud of him.  I was disappointed.  Maybe he'd get it if he typed on a topre, don't know.  I've got a cherry brown on the way which supposedly is close, although different.  We'll see.

The holy grail, of course, would be to convince my wife of the beauty & value of mechanical keyboards.  I really don't see this as likely but hope springs eternal I guess.  I'm pretty sure cherry blues would be too loud and probably even browns, but I'll know better soon when we can try these out.  If a topre doesn't convince her, I don't think it's gonna happen.

Anyway, whoever you decide to give it to, I applaud your generosity.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 23:54:29 »
hmm, maybe we could start some kind of pay-it-forward scheme...

in my imagination this somehow results in mechanical keyboards replacing all the crappy rubber dome ones :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 23:55:20 »
I already have some Topre boards including an all 55g but I could use another one so please send it to me.  Kthx.

Seriously, just keep it.  You will maintain your honor Ranma son.  Man who fix Topre, accomplish anything.

« Last Edit: Mon, 15 March 2010, 23:58:26 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 23:59:57 »
Quote from: msiegel;164348
hmm, maybe we could start some kind of pay-it-forward scheme...

in my imagination this somehow results in mechanical keyboards replacing all the crappy rubber dome ones :)

Not a bad concept, not sure how to implement it.  Maybe some "floating trial boards" that could be passed around for just shipping costs.  Although most plans like this are likely doomed to failure.  You'd need a way to assure everyone would release it to the next user without damage so maybe need a refundable "security deposit", maybe could be done via paypal.  See it's getting complicated already and my brain is hurting.  :sad:

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 00:14:28 »
Hey man, keep the damn board...

Or give it to a Logitech G19 user so they can see the error of their heathen ways.

Offline Sorian

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 00:14:32 »
Haha, my first time actually posting on here, and it's in a thread like this.  Makes me feel somewhat greedy, but eh, I couldn't just turn a blind eye to this thread.  So...story!

I've had my oh-so-lovely (..not) G15 for about four years now, and after looking into building a new computer, I was turned to overclock.net, which of course I read pretty much every section of the forums, which then opened me up to geekhack.org, and the world of non rubber-dome keyboards.  When I first starting reading around here, I thought you all were crazy.  I mean...Mechanical Keyboards? That's like.. old news.  Seriously.

Then as I read more and more, watched videos, listened to the sounds of the keyboards, and so on and so forth, I started to see that there was actually a bit of sense behind your keyboard fetishes.  And that's when my G15 started to seem very...very.. lame (for the lack of a better word).  Now whenever I press a key down, I just think of how mushy it feels and how much I would appreciate something more springy and top-notch.

So I started investigating..and looking at every keyboard around.  I've gotta say, I'm pretty picky.  The only ones I took a liking to were Filco and Topre.  I like their simplistic looks and rather small bodies.  And then I decided I didn't really want anything clicky, but I wanted some feedback.  So browns.  Then price.. $120 for Filco.. $200+ for Topre.  I was at a loss.  The topres I had been dreaming about for so long were now out of my league.

I'm still in the process of updating my whole computer.  Waiting till the end of April to take the plunge, once I get enough money saved up.  My current one is around four or five years old, and it's been showing it's age.  Just had to get some parts replaced for the third or fourth time, which put my upgrade date back a little bit.

Sooo Keyboards.  Since my budget for them is pretty much nonexistent, but I want one so badly, I decided I would have to treat myself to one, no matter what.  But I still couldn't justify the price for a Topre.  Leaving me to a Filco.  Right now I'm waiting for Brian to get the Otaku Browns in, since out of all the Filcos I think that one looks the best, and Tenkeyless is cheaper than the full.  

But yeah, that was a long post.  Especially for a first one.  And I kind of summed up my story.  But a brief summary for those who were smart enough NOT to read the whole thing.  I have a terrible rubber board, desperately want to change over to the world of mechanicals.  I would buy a Topre in a heartbeat if I had the money for it right now, but all I can scrape together is enough for a Filco, and that's pushing it, but I really can't settle for anything that isn't high quality.  About to upgrade my dying computer, which is going to set me back even more.  So there.  That's my story as to why I'd love to have a Topre.  

Oh, and the 55g is what I've always wanted.  I measured this G15, and it's about 55-60g to activate, which I think is perfect, and I believe that's also the amount needed for Cherry MX Clears, but those are only in Deck keyboards, which I honestly can't stand.  Too flashy, don't see the point.  

Anyways...that's that.  Oh, and nice to meet you, everyone.  I've been lurking around here for a couple months.  Registered only a month ago though because I was planning to ask some questions before I bought a keyboard, but then I realized I had to wait a bit longer before I had the money to spare for one.  And thus I've been coming back to these forums everyday to read all the new and exciting information that you guys keep posting.  Honestly, mechanical keyboards intrigue me...

I also do have to agree with the majority of everyone else, though.  Even after posting this whole thing, I think you should keep it.  You worked so hard to fix it all up yourself.  And that's also a fairly expensive gift to give away to someone for free.  But that's just my own conflicting opinion with what I just posted above.

And did I mention I desperately want to be a part of the geekhack club and become an official geekhack member?  I mean...I can't seriously be considered a member without a mechanical board.  

And I apologize if that seemed unusually long or confusing, I've been out of it all day, and pretty tired right now.  Migraine headaches are so much fun. =/

Edit: And wow, after reading my whole post, I just noticed I could've made it sound so much better if I turned it into an actual story starting with something around the lines of "It all started when...".  That way I could incorporate a lot more drama into it and make it a hundred times more heart-wrenching in order to convince you that I'm the only person you would ever want to send it to.  ..And now that I think about it..I actually might do that!  Stay tuned, haha.

-Sorian
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 March 2010, 00:39:08 by Sorian »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 00:19:28 »
Quote from: Brodie337;164356
Hey man, keep the damn board...

Or give it to a Logitech G19 user so they can see the error of their heathen ways.

That's what I'm sayin!  That's my oldest son, a poor college student who uses a crappy logitech board now.  Of course I bought the logitech for him, because I'm poor from paying for his school and every other damn thing kids need.  Keyboards might be an expensive habit but it's nothing compared to the cost of kids!  Shameless plug I know, hah!

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 00:22:15 »
I'll apply, because I'm interested in typing on the Topre mechanism so that I can make comments about it without being an uninformed jerk. I wouldn't intend to keep it for permanent use...I have buckling spring keyboards for that and I don't think anything can sway me from them permanently.

My guarantee: I'd pass it on at exactly the same price, but wouldn't cover shipping to next-in-line.

Said passing-on would occur in a couple of months, perhaps less perhaps more, depending on opportunities to use the 'board.

I am, of course, located in Canada.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 March 2010, 00:31:17 by kishy »
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Xuan

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 00:46:14 »
If I get the Topre, all wars will end, there will be no starvation nor decease, people shall live in peace and you will be immortal. No kidding.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 00:53:18 »
I'll chime in......

Not really sure why since I never used topre. Been waiting for a tenkeyless linear force to return to stock after breaking my cherry mx blue filco tenkeyless when getting up and falling on it. Damaged either the switches or the PCB all I know is about 10-12 switches don't work and have been using a microsoft internet pro keyboard since then after using this keyboard, missing the blues.

To be honest I have my doubts on the linear force. I'm pretty heavy handed and bottom out the blues all the time. I can't really type with lighter force it strains my hands and reduces my speed. I touch type but I guess I just type more straightforward sorta like a horse, look ahead ignores the surroundings. Worried that mx black would be a mistake, even though I'm interested in them.

To be honest I don't really type much except for around the internet and playing a few games here and there. Giving it a shot I guess for such a selfless act.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 00:56:25 »
you *could* mail it to Richard Hunter Harris in North Carolina...

XD

where's a budding scifi writer with carpal tunnel when you need one.

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 02:02:11 »
Give it to me! I'll turn around and give it back.

I think you should keep it.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 02:13:43 »
Give it to me! I will cover international shipping costs, then smash it with a huge jack hammer, register smashmytopre.com and post it all up there!

In all honesty I sadly do not have a good reason for wanting it besides the fact that they are hard to come by in Europe (unless buying this REALLY FREAKING EXPENSIVE board from overseas with even more expensive shipping and taxes on top). Striking out the biggest sum of that would make this an affordable way for me to try out a Realforce.

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 02:23:37 »
You should keep it!!  Of course if you must give it away I would be happy to take it off your hands.  Actually you should ebay it 1 day auction, or buy it now (5% ebay bucks tommorrow only).  If I am the recipient of this board I will be happy to pay it forward with a giveaway of my own.  Not as good as the topre 55g though I'm sure. :)

Why do I deserve it?  Besides that I am addicted to geekhack, devoted educating other about form factor and switches..  And I'll make donations myself in addition.
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline Viett

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 02:25:03 »
Keep it. Just because you said you would give it away, doesn't mean we expect you to. Or if you must, allow people to use it as a trial board.
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline Oqsy

Re: Free Topre Realforce all 55g giveaway!
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 02:31:56 »
I am all for the shipping only pass around trial board. The terms can be set on paypal and the next in line pays shipping from the person currently holding the board. Paypal can be used to set up a contractual agreement so that when paying shipping you're agreeing to the terms of the sample length and cost of repairs should the need arise.

I'd *LOVE* to try a Topre, and one for free wod be even better. However since no one near me owns one for me to try, there's no way to know if it would be a suitable board for my taste.

The pay it forward system of testing the Topre would solve this issue for me as it would others and could save MANY of us $200+ for a board we've never seen or tested and would decide against after trying it in person. In that way it would be the most financially beneficial use of the giveaway board.

Five people trying it and deciding that the Topre is not for them is $1000 saved for geekhack members. For those that like it and want one, it's confirmation that the purchase will be worth every penny, and a great method of no risk trial that the Topre sales people would probably never offer. :)

If you insist on giving away to a sinlge individual, then I suggest you give it to kishy since his offer to pass it along at no cost to another member is a pretty great gesture in response to your offering on the path to "oneness with cup rubber".  

Kindness begets kindness.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 02:34:28 »
I'm currently using a Model M that's older than I am and the alphanumerical section has worn down considerably so I can't help but bottom out.

I just bought a Cherry G84-4100 on Ebay, but I'm starting to suspect that the seller was a scammer.

I've been wanting a higher end keyboard, but haven't really had the money, which is why I tried to go cheap getting a G84-4100 instead of my planned Filco Tenkeyless.

Not great reasons, I admit... But hey.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline JulienC

• Esc Artist
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 02:35:54 »

Obey. Give it to me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 October 2013, 11:41:41 by JulienC »

HHKB

Offline nijikon5

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 03:08:40 »
I would give that Topre Realforce a great home! I've been recent convert to Mechanical KBs and love, love, love them. Been thinking about getting a tactile clicky and tactile non-clicky KB to go along with my Filco Linear NKRO.

I'm trying to save up money being a student and all to get a new Video Card and Hard Drive.

Why should I get it? Honestly, my best reason is because I never win anything. There are probably more deserving people out there, but have you ever had that feeling of never winning anything in a draw/raffle? I can honestly say that out of all the draws/raffles, I've never won anything. I'd like that feeling just once to win something awesome.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 03:27:33 »
I like Konata because she has a otaku filco like me, except she also has a Realforce. Oh god I wish I had a Realforce too ;_;

Konata also likes keyboards and she is kawaii. And there are lesbians on geekhack and that's good because I like lesbians and I will never have a Realforce. Why am I such a loser?!
keyboards!

Offline Sorian

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 04:25:33 »
So.. I actually typed out a story for this, haha.  Though I can't promise much.  As it's past 2am, and I'm still a bit out of it thanks to the migraine.  And just a warning, it's pretty long.  But anyways, without further ado..

It all started when he was just a small little boy, no taller than the edge of the kitchen table.  He was excited beyond words, he was about to have his first experience with something he had never imagined.. a computer!  As he sat down in the swirling chair and proceeded to spin around a couple times for good measure, he examined what was placed in front of him, flabbergasted.  The large, colorful display, the sleek, yellowed keyboard, and the odd contraption that looked similar to the class pet.  It was as if a door had been opened.  He was witnessing the birth of a whole new world.

Several years later and three feet taller, it was time for the boy to purchase his own computer.  With the help of his family, he had customized it down to the very last detail.  The motherboard, RAM, harddrive, and processor.  He had no idea what he was purchasing, but he knew it would all be perfect.  Everything was put together, waiting for him to explore the digital world to his hearts content.  All that was left was the keyboard.  

As he pulled into the local Best Buy and dashed to the back, he skimmed the shelves, waiting for something, anything, to catch his eye. Then it happened.  Lights from the heavens shined down upon the mystical, blue glowing keyboard.  As he whispered it's name to himself, he knew he was in love.  The Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard.  What more could anyone want?  He picked up the box and began to examine the beautiful, exquisite craftsmanship that was put into the keyboard.  Searching desperately, he found the fine print.. "Made in China".  Yes, this had to be it.  Never before had he witnessed the feeling of love at first sight.  He had to have it.

Racing back home, he began to scavenge for signs of spare change.  Under the sofa, between the cushions, in the back seats of the car.  As he finally gather together the $108.49 (after taxes), he purchased the keyboard of the kings.  Life... was complete.

Now as we skip ahead back to present time, this boy has now grown five years older, and his most prized possession is beginning to breathe it's last breaths.  After taking it in to the local service center, he was forced to part with his computer for three weeks while they searched for the problem and replaced the parts.  In the meantime..he was left with the one thing he dreaded most.  A MacBook.  The pains of the trackpad and lack of travel of the keys.  Oh did it hurt him so.  But he had to survive.  This was his lifeline.  Without it, what would he do?

At this point he knew that it would soon be time to replace his faithful computer.  It had processed it's last word document and saved it's last game.  No longer was it capable of computing the complex equations that he would enter into the extensive Calculator program.  So he began his search.  He was on a mission to replace his computer.

After hours upon hours of research and reading, he had decided on his plan, but the price he would pay for his actions was too much for him at the time, he had to wait.  In the meantime, he ventured over to the public forums known as GeekHack.  There, he was dispelled of the magic of mass marketing.  No longer did his G15 bring him pleasure to type on.  The more and more he read, the less and less he enjoyed typing.  There was only one way to describe his beloved keyboard now: mush.  

The memories of his childhood played back in his head.  The feeling of the key springing back into position after releasing his finger.  The tactility, the responsiveness.  It was all so familiar, and yet somewhat distant.  But he knew he had to have one.  No matter what the cost, he would obtain one of these lost and forgotten treasures.  He began to conduct even more research.

Finally, after reading about every common and well thought of mechanical keyboard known to man.  He had narrowed it down to two options.  A Filco with Cherry MX Brown switches, or a Topre.  But he was at a loss.  The Topre was two times the price of the Filco, but yet it was on such a different level.  It combined the memories of his childhood with the memories of his first computer.  The springiness of the mechanical keyboards and the soft, yet not mushy, landing of the rubber domes.  It was a match made in heaven.

His heart was torn.  Purchasing a new keyboard would already set his much needed project back even further.  But how much could he sacrifice?  He had to decide which was more important.  And as his current computer was finally returned to him and still gave him problems, he sadly made up his mind.  He could not afford to purchase a Topre.  He was left with a Filco.

Now that that was settled, he started to save up his money to make up the deficit, and waited.  Waited for the Filco to come in stock.  

Continuing his daily browsing of the GeekHack community, he scrolled through the endless pages.  Then, something sparked his curiosity.  He couldn't believe what he had just read, so he read it again.  Some selfless soul had decided to give away their prized Topre keyboard...for free! This was an opportunity he could not pass up, it was what he had always wished for, but never dreamed of.  

As he clicked the title and entered the thread, his eyes ceased to amaze him.  Everything was all too real.  The opportunity was placed before him.  He had to test his chances with Lady Luck.  Never in a million years would he pass this offer up.  And so he began to tell his story.  He knew it was a long one, but he also knew he had to tell it.  So as he typed the first few words with his current, old eyesore of a keyboard, his mind began to drift off to a place and time where this G15, that does not even warrant the classification of keyboard, would be no longer, and in front of him would be the keyboard of all keyboards.  And thus he proceeded to tell his story.. "It all started when..."

There you have it, haha.
-Sorian

Offline trievalot

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 04:33:16 »
cut it in half king solomon style (in other words give it to  he who refuses it)
Me
[SIGPIC]

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 04:38:53 »
Well...

My girlfriend, who doesn't exactly understand my love of a good mechanical, might be willing to use a Topre.

I'd cover postage for you to Aus.

Offline Ranma13

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 04:55:02 »
Wow, you guys are nuts :). Thanks to those of you who said I should keep it, and a big thanks to Ripster for providing me tips on how to put the thing back together in the first place, but I think at this point it'd do more good to pass it off to someone else for them to enjoy.

I like the idea of making it a trial board, though I don't know how we would handle that. Ripster, would you be willing to take it first and make sure I assembled the thing correctly, then ship it off to the next guy?
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87U variable-weight, Filco Majestouch Brown Cherry Otaku, Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate
Mice (trackball): CH DT225, IBM L40, CST LaserTRAC, Kensington Orbit
Mice (regular): Logitech G9, Steelseries Xai, Roccat Kova, Razer Orochi

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 05:24:21 »
I support making the board take on a similar fate of this black box, only there not being much profit (sorta difficult).

EDIT: I guess the premise behind it is broken in implementation hahaha
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 March 2010, 05:27:41 by nanu »

Offline trievalot

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 05:45:41 »
i like the pay it forward idea......

+1 from here

id happily send to another member after i have a play for a week :-)
[SIGPIC]

Offline kriminal

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 07:22:11 »
send it to me! i'll happily pay the shipping XD.
been wanting a topre but it was out of my budget...
i mean really, i'll pay the shipping
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 09:34:17 »
"Proceed cautiously young grasshopper.  As entertaining as it is to hear people make themselves sound pathetic enough to receive a handout, the universe frowns on this and will have their way with them in time.  Ranma is a generous person but should keep it and tell everyone to drop the self-pity, grow a pair, get a job and buy their own damn keyboard.  That what Confucius would do."

Offline kriminal

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 09:44:46 »
hey he told us he was giving it away XD.
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 09:55:57 »
Ranma, you really should keep the board. It's generous of you, but even by providing it as a trial board, it presents the possibility of the worst person on GH walking away with it at worst and it gives people responsibility for a piece of communal property at best. It's a nice act that could have potentially not so nice side effects.

If it gets shipped around enough, it'll probably end up smashed to bits anyway. Keep it or give it to someone you know who would really appreciate and hopefully physically need a fantastic keyboard.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 09:58:57 »
"Grasshopper, if you want Topre, work McDonalds 1 week part time and buy one."

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 10:29:37 »
Quote from: didjamatic;164452
"Proceed cautiously young grasshopper.  As entertaining as it is to hear people make themselves sound pathetic enough to receive a handout, the universe frowns on this and will have their way with them in time.  Ranma is a generous person but should keep it and tell everyone to drop the self-pity, grow a pair, get a job and buy their own damn keyboard.  That what Confucius would do."

Show Image

:laugh:
Ahh, agree that Ranma should keep it.  But Confucius also say that -any- member of geekhack temple finding free topre must try to snatch it and leave with it.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 10:41:40 »
Nice!

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 12:16:01 »
DOH! Missed my GIMP editor opportunity of the week on this one, here's what I should have done.
Quote from: TexasFlood;164463
:laugh:
Ahh, agree that Ranma should keep it.  But Confucius also say that -any- member of geekhack temple finding free topre must try to snatch it and leave with it.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Offline porgo

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 12:43:04 »
I can take it to a good home. :)

My reasons are all but selfish! I really wish I could give my Das keyboard to the poor but then I don't own spare kayboards so I need the Topre to make paypal donations towards the world peace.

Really, I'd like to try a good US layouted keyboard since it's The layout for any codework but buying one for solely code is silly. (I'm Finnish but I can come with some S&H to balance out.)
There are no ESC keys in prison (poor vim users)

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 12:52:04 »
Quote from: porgo;164489
I can take it to a good home. :)

My reasons are all but selfish! I really wish I could give my Das keyboard to the poor but then I don't own spare kayboards so I need the Topre to make paypal donations towards the world peace.

I can top that, I will multiply the single keyboard and supply topres to the multitude of keyboardless masses!

OK, I probably can't do that, but I would share it with my family, who certainly seem like masses when they want multitude of dollars from me.

Offline porgo

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 13:02:56 »
About the trial rounds: folks at Head-fi have loaned 1000-dollar headphones with success to relatively strangers. I find that incredible and while I wouldn't try that myself (loaning to unknown forum fellows) I have to say such trial loan-aways are very sweet in general and support the forum community as a whole well.

That said, I wouldn't myself give anything freely to a complete newbie (in this case, that would include me as well) -- perhaps some good 50 posts posed the main requirement should I ever do a give-away like this :)

Offline mrbill

• http://weblog.mrbill.net
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 13:11:51 »
My reason:

I type around 115wpm last time I did a speed test, and use a Lexmark Model M buckling-spring keyboard here at work.  I've had people walk by my office and say things like:

"Were you sick yesterday?  I couldn't hear you typing all the way down the hall"

"Man that's a loud keyboard"

"Wow I haven't seen one of those in years!"

And the topper:

One day our guy that works in shipping/receiving brought ANOTHER coworker to my door.  "Man, you gotta see how fast this guy types - hey Bill, type something!  Look at that!"

So, I would like the Topre to (a) let me take the Model M home and (b) so I won't have to be people's typing monkey anymore.

Edit: In return, I will gladly do the same thing (pay-it-forward by giving them away) with my ABS M1, KB-6600ABU, a Compaq MX11900 w/Cherry Blacks, and a Dell AT101W.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 March 2010, 13:18:26 by mrbill »
Keyboards:
IBM Model Ms: 51G8572 (\'94, \'96), 1391401 (\'90), 1369050 (\'95, Dell), 1394946 (\'89 Industrial)
Unicomp Model Ms:  Customizer 104, SpaceSaver 104
Chicony: KB-5181, KB-5191
Cherry:  MX11800 (x2), G86-6241 "Ricercar SPOS"
Filco: FKBN87M/EB x2, Cherry Browns
Sold: Matias Tactile Pro 1.0 (x2), Kensington Studioboard Mechanical, Scorpius M10, AEK II (x2), Compaq 11900 (x2), IBM Model F (AT), Filco FKB104MC/EB
Available Free for Cost of Shipping: ABS M1, Solidtek KB-6600ABU, KeyTronic KB101Plus

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 13:15:23 »
Quote from: msiegel;164366
you *could* mail it to Richard Hunter Harris in North Carolina...

Or to Miss Carolina.

"I personally believe that I should have this keyboard because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have mechanical keyboards and, uh, I believe that our, uh, typing skills like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our geeks and hackers over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children"

Offline Viett

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 13:16:03 »
Quote from: porgo;164495
perhaps some good 50 posts posed the main requirement should I ever do a give-away like this :)

Prepare for mass spamming.

Quote from: TexasFlood;164482
DOH! Missed my GIMP editor opportunity of the week on this one, here's what I should have done.

Oh.. I forgot. We already have that ;).
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 13:18:27 »
Quote from: porgo;164495
About the trial rounds: folks at Head-fi have loaned 1000-dollar headphones with success to relatively strangers. I find that incredible and while I wouldn't try that myself (loaning to unknown forum fellows) I have to say such trial loan-aways are very sweet in general and support the forum community as a whole well.

Even though I was one who suggested it early on, I must admit that trying to actually make it work could be a mess and am cynical that it would really work in the long term.  But that's me, I'm a cynic and always happy to be proved wrong.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 13:23:17 »
Quote from: Viett;164499
Oh.. I forgot. We already have that ;).

What? Don't understand...

Say 'what' again.
Say 'what' again,
I dare you,
I double dare you motherf___er,
say what one more Godd__n time!

Whh.a.a.t!?
BOOM!!!
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 March 2010, 13:29:33 by TexasFlood »

Offline salcan

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 13:41:06 »
Quote from: Oqsy;164376
I am all for the shipping only pass around trial board. The terms can be set on paypal and the next in line pays shipping from the person currently holding the board. Paypal can be used to set up a contractual agreement so that when paying shipping you're agreeing to the terms of the sample length and cost of repairs should the need arise.

I'd *LOVE* to try a Topre, and one for free wod be even better. However since no one near me owns one for me to try, there's no way to know if it would be a suitable board for my taste.

The pay it forward system of testing the Topre would solve this issue for me as it would others and could save MANY of us $200+ for a board we've never seen or tested and would decide against after trying it in person. In that way it would be the most financially beneficial use of the giveaway board.

Five people trying it and deciding that the Topre is not for them is $1000 saved for geekhack members. For those that like it and want one, it's confirmation that the purchase will be worth every penny, and a great method of no risk trial that the Topre sales people would probably never offer. :)

If you insist on giving away to a sinlge individual, then I suggest you give it to kishy since his offer to pass it along at no cost to another member is a pretty great gesture in response to your offering on the path to "oneness with cup rubber".  

Kindness begets kindness.

This is actually a great idea. Why not ship it to someone, have them use it for two weeks, and then pass it on. I've love 2weeks with that 55g because it's not a keyboard I would consider plucking down that much cash for without a demo (without using the 55g, I'll be buying the 87u just to be safe). We can make a list spread the wealth. Seems like an ideal solution.

I don't think we need any complex terms or agreements though, everyone I've dealt with on the forums has been great so far.

Offline porgo

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 13:41:07 »
Quote from: Viett;164499
Prepare for mass spamming.

That's so true. However,  people achieve this by setting limits to how and when posts are written. I'm not saying that should be applied here! Giving a nice board to anyone is more solidary than to make requirements anyway. Haven't said yet: respect to the OP! :beerchug:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 13:46:58 »
I'm the ****.  Give the 'board to me.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 13:53:29 »
How about everyone do some extra work, send in for a gold kit, sell some things on ebay, mow your neighbor's rug, work and save $_____ then we all do a group buy of White 87u's from a lucky vendor.  Then everyone wins, no one loses.

Loan a man a Topre, he types for a day.  Teach a man how to earn enough money to buy one and he types for a lifetime.  - Socrates

Offline C.S.

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 14:00:26 »
What the hey, I'll take a stab at it.

I'm a newcomer here, but I can't remember the last time an aspect of computing has grasped my attention so fully as my recent interest in mechanical keyboards has.  I came across geekhack a few weeks ago when an old Leading Edge SKM-1030 board I have in my classroom decided to say goodnight.  I could have slapped any old PS/2 keyboard on the machine that was using it, but I couldn't stand the thought of replacing it with something that doesn't have the same character.

You see, I teach a middle school technology class.  Most kids these days are content to stick with their iPhone keypads as they scoff at a fine piece of technology like my old Leading Edge, but there are a select few who have always been enthralled with it's clicky-clangy white switches.  While they may regard it as an antique at first, it never takes long for them to come around.  I've had many ask where they can get one like it and I've always told them to check out thrift stores and yard sales; little did I know that there was a community so dedicated to this little corner of the computing world.

So, with the help of geekhack, I managed to find a superior replacement for my keyboard.  At first I snagged an old Model M 52G9658 with it's lovely singing springs; however, it was a bit too noisy for use in a classroom, so I started looking for more.  Once again, geekhack lead me to pick up a Compaq MX11800; the brown Cherries inside are the perfect fit for my classroom, and the kids love the trackball (most have never seen one).  These two purchases have fueled a hunger for more in me; now I can't stop looking for the next board to bring into class, and I'm not the only one that gets excited about it.

As my sig may indicate, I lead a computer club at my school that is comprised of some of the finest young geeks in training that you'll ever see.  When I discovered how wide the variety of different keyswitches was, I decided to incorporate this knowledge into my club.  So far we've focused on the switches from the boards I already have:  Brown Cherry, Buckling Springs, and god knows what from the now defunct Leading Edge (they look like clear/white SMK switches, except the switch is female while the keycaps are male); I'm hoping to keep it going until we can collect 'em all.

Next on my list is a board with blue Cherries, which is looking to be a bit too much for my budget for the foreseeable future.  With this in mind, the wait to get my hands on Topre's seems to stretch into eternity...

So, consider my story and won't you PLEASE think of the children.  Your donation would give a lot of great kids (and one splendid teacher) the opportunity to examine and experience a piece of hardware that would otherwise remain a vague concept floating in the Internet ether.

Or, you could just keep it :)
There are some who call me... Tim.  My kids in the computer club just call me "Leader of the Middle School Geek Brigade."