Author Topic: [Ebay.de] IBM Model M Bluetooth-USB-Hybrid Controller Replacement Kit  (Read 14891 times)

Offline chanceman42069

Hey everybody!

I've made a BT-USB-Hybrid controller for the popular Model M keyboard for no hassle, drop-in replacement. It's available on Ebay.de, but I'm also offering it outside of Ebay (at a discount). I currently (still) lack the privileges to start a new thread/subforum in the Artisan/Vendor section on GH, I hope it's 'legal' to post a link to my Ebay listing on here. (I find GH's rules and regulation very complicated indeed.)
I've already started a similar thread on Deskthority, but lest GH prohibits linking to enemy territory, I will leave up to anybody if they wanna go find it or not.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/152711015829

Here's a list of some basic features:

• supported operating systems: Windows, Linux, Android, iOS (Mac OS X is not supported)
  • convenient, no hassle drop-in replacement
  • controller supports USB or Bluetooth 4.0/BLE connection (flip switch to select)
  • 3.7V, 500mAh Li-Po battery included (use any 3.7V Li-Po/Li-Ion battery you like)
  • internal battery charger will recharge battery when USB cable is connected
  • maximum battery life during normal operation: ca. 7 days
  • device will go to sleep after 1 minute when USB mode has been selected and no USB cable is connected
  • command line tool for keymap configuration, up to 6 layers are supported
  • standard USB/Bluetooth HID 6-key rollover
  • USB-B-›USB-A cable, beige, 1.8m, with ferrite bead sheath current filter included
  • LED PCB with low current 1 mA status LEDs
  • cruciform Philips replacement case screws for easy maintenance

International shipping as a registered letter (with tracking).

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them to the fullest of my capability.
Bitte zögern Sie nicht, mich zu kontaktieren, wenn Sie Fragen haben.
S'il vous plaît, n'hesitez pas de me contacter si vous auriez de questions.

You can find a video presentation of a converted device here:

Offline prokeycaps

• With love and care they have been created
    • MMCAPS ARTISAN KEYCAPS
Re: [Ebay.de] IBM Model M Bluetooth-USB-Hybrid Controller Replacement Kit
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 23:42:35 »
bump ;D
Most keycapS ideas originate from every day lives, games, cartoons and our childhood toys. I've combined all these elements together to create these new and improved key-caps that are not only practical, fun but also ornamental
MMCAPS

Offline Jukbo

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 10:47:16 »
Hi, I'm new to geekhack forum. I got registered just because I'm interested in your interface. I want to buy one directly from you. Could you please contact me?

Thanks!

Jukbo

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 08:20:06 »
Why does this not have more (or any) love? This is one of the best model M projects ever IMO. I wish you had these before I sold my model M's .

Offline chanceman42069

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 12:53:07 »
Why does this not have more (or any) love? This is one of the best model M projects ever IMO. I wish you had these before I sold my model M's .

Thanks, I appreciate it. As to why it doesn't get more love, I don't know. Too expensive perhaps. It doesn't exactly qualify as a 'community' project I suppose. Then again, many Model M enthusiasts are quite capable of brewing their own, while others are older dudes who've been using that board since it came out and may not be appreciative of modifications of this nature.

On a sidenote, what do you mean by 'love'? More replies? It is kind of puzzling though: although this thread has been viewed more than 5000 times, I've only received like 3 enquiries regarding this project. Things are looking much better on DT, I gotta admit. :(

Offline osrix

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 17:45:18 »
Wish Id seen this before now, I'll get one if I ever *finally* get myself an SSK!  for now handheld scientific box is doing well but nowhere near as slick as this. Love it B) Also I dont know if you would or not, but I could really do with one of the Bt bridge dongles , my wife doesnt have privilege enough to use a BT keyboard on her work machine so a dongle like this would be great for her. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2018, 18:21:00 by osrix »

Offline chanceman42069

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 08:00:37 »
This thread has been viewed 9465 (!!!) times - and so far I've only received a handful of enquiries (any kind of enquiry, not solely commercial). How is this possible? Who or what is causing the views counter to increase so rapidly while there doesn't seem to be a lot of real human interest in this thread at all? Beats me!

Offline osrix

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 08:29:30 »
if maybe like me, then read the post take a look on ebay. I would say it is a tood price for the work involved for you to develop a product. I have a BT ps2 adapter from handheld scientific which lasts 2 hrs when plugged into the Model M.  From what I read your design doesnt suffer like this and so is of interest to me :)

Im now waiting to find an SSK before I buy from you. maybe stuff like that for most people. I love what youve done here and want to support, Bought a bridge from you another great solution!     

Offline anthorix

• Finally Awake
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 13:40:35 »
This thread has been viewed 9465 (!!!) times - and so far I've only received a handful of enquiries (any kind of enquiry, not solely commercial). How is this possible? Who or what is causing the views counter to increase so rapidly while there doesn't seem to be a lot of real human interest in this thread at all? Beats me!

maybe cus wireless things are common for portable lightweight objects and a model M isnt gonna see much transportation so its kind of a mismatched feature.

Offline chanceman42069

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 19:01:30 »
maybe cus wireless things are common for portable lightweight objects and a model M isnt gonna see much transportation so its kind of a mismatched feature.

yes, I agree. Broadly speaking, it doesn't make much sense. The controller design is not limited to the Model M though. I actually wanted a universal keyboard controller with both a USB and a BT interface to build custom compact size Alps keyboards. The Model M is just the first real application for my design - because (at least at the time) no other replacement controller project for M-series keyboards featured BT by default, not even TMK. Hasu wrote somewhere on GH that it could be added, but not easily. BT is still a worthwhile feature for Model M SSK owners because it will free up even more space on the desk since there will no longer be an need to use a heav coiled PS/2 cable.

Jfyi, I'm not upset about poor sales, I'm just puzzled why there is such a significant discrepancy between the number of visits and the number of replies. If a thread has been viewed 10,000 times you would expect more people to have left a comment or anything. For comparison, the attached picture has only 630 clicks. I suppose some kind of bot or spider or whatnot is causing the thread view counter to increase steadily, not human activity.

Offline osrix

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 08:13:38 »
hey man are you still selling these kits?

Offline chanceman42069

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 11:07:38 »
yes, the project is alive and well, people just never leave any feedback after buying a kit, no clue why