Author Topic: [IC] Brass plates: Custom and 60% ANSI/ISO (Soon)  (Read 1607 times)

Offline KaosJ

[IC] Brass plates: Custom and 60% ANSI/ISO (Soon)
« on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 17:34:01 »
Hello GH,   
I found a good way to water-cut shiny/polished brass plates here in Italy. I'm considering to start a GB for 60% plates since i can't buy by myself the whole Brass sheet for only my plates.   

For the 60% i was thinking of doing 2 versions:
  • ANSI (standard or multiple layouts) - the most important thing to me here is that every switch will clip correctly in the plate.
  • Universal - Including ISO, ANSI in multiple layouts, some switches will not clip so you might need some PCB mounted switches.
  • I can accept custom layouts as long as the person will provide a .dxf for it (i will not test your design, I will just cut it)

Price should be (not sure yet) $30-35 for a 60% plate, not idea for custom layouts.     
Shipping is not included and i'm considering someone wiling to proxy this to US brothers, possibly a vendor or someone known.

Please fill the form below if you might be interested or if you want to help me out to understand what you/other people want. 
IC FORM here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScpa_NsRQVezRpoy1XREtZZTY00NFyC_5lVVXkL7F8K26MfQA/viewform

Also, coating is planned but i have to discuss this with the producer
Thanks  :D

---

EDIT: for coating read here 

EDIT 2: Added sample of brass
More

« Last Edit: Tue, 24 October 2017, 08:39:32 by KaosJ »

Offline KaosJ

Re: [IC] Brass plates: Custom and 60% ANSI/ISO (Soon)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 08:36:45 »
A sample of the shiny brass

SoonTM

Offline Murrellz

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 08:44:44 »
Looks like a really nice sample. Definitely still interested in this.

Online Damonskv

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 09:03:58 »
I am very interesting in variant with a removable stabs, in this case, you can make a thicker plate, have you considered the possibility of increasing the thickness? It is possible to do up to 5mm, iím think iím not only one, who love additional weight of it ;)

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 09:19:38 »
I am very interesting in variant with a removable stabs, in this case, you can make a thicker plate, have you considered the possibility of increasing the thickness? It is possible to do up to 5mm, iím think iím not only one, who love additional weight of it ;)

This will imply a bigger cost, if there are T H I C C smaller sheets i can do some of these (i should ask again to the seller). In this case not sure if the holes to make switch top open is still ok. 

Have a sample of the stabilizer removable plate (that i did for myself), is a sample in Stainless steel and not cleaned yet and i'm testing it right now. 

The first thoughts on the sample are:

• Maybe i should do the holes slightly bigger, i did  exactly 14mm that is supertight on the switch, good for stable switch but hell to remove. Also with steel might scratch/bend the pins to clip the switch after few swaps so a bigger hole will be better (maybe 14.1mm)
  • I'm also considering doing it smaller than 1.5mm, the current samples are 1.5 (standard) and the switch is really tight, will destroy the clip-pins after few swap.  I have with me some plates from kbdfans and other and seems like they do it slightly tinner, idk no calipher now, but seems like it is 1.3 or 1.4mm 
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 October 2017, 09:21:22 by KaosJ »

Offline dr_derivative

• Pretty good at calculus
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 08:57:26 »
Most of the plates I have here are actually ~1.4 mm thick, even Lasergist's 1.5 mm steel is actually 1.4 mm.

Most holes do seem to be 14 mm square when measured with my caliper. It could very well be possible that there is some small margin of error in the manufacturing process. This means that even though the machine tried to cut 14 mm holes, the holes actually ended up at 13.9 mm. I would check your plates with a caliper to determine if this is the case and to compensate for it, rather than accidentally ending up with plates that are way too loose.

Offline TalkingTree

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 14:25:04 »
Very interested in two or three plates (price depending) with a custom layout.
My projects: Skipad, Toad.

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 14:28:55 »
Also interested in a custom plate depending on price

Online ipreferpie

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 05:53:35 »
That looks amazing! I'm looking to get some for my VE.A. But need to customize some parts for ALPS switches. Does anyone know who can help modify the base .dxf file I have in hand? Many thanks

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 09:22:58 »
Very interested in two or three plates (price depending) with a custom layout.
Also interested in a custom plate depending on price

Custom plates should be near the price of the base but depends also on how bigger it will be or how many more cuts 

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 09:25:48 »
That looks amazing! I'm looking to get some for my VE.A. But need to customize some parts for ALPS switches. Does anyone know who can help modify the base .dxf file I have in hand? Many thanks

I really can't help with ALPS, i usually do just cherry style switches.  Also afaik the alps needs a 1.2mm plate to clip, while this will be a 1.5mm. 

I think you will still be able to do it by just making thight holes i guess, but if you want something that fully clips, you need 1.2mm 

Offline TalkingTree

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 09:41:45 »
Custom plates should be near the price of the base but depends also on how bigger it will be or how many more cuts
When would we be able to submit a file for a quote?
My projects: Skipad, Toad.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 09:59:27 »
When would we be able to submit a file for a quote?

When the GB starts (so i will also talk about all the details to make it), in fact the GB should have started already from my plans and to be honest i could have started it already but i wanted to be 100% sure on everything before doing so.  Didn't really wanted to start to take money and in the meantime do the last tests. 

I miss the coating tests for now and some explanation on how should i quote the custom plates for who upload the file.   
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 November 2017, 10:01:21 by KaosJ »

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 10:17:42 »
Interested in some TKL sized ones (I already got dxf files :D )
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 21:02:58 »
Are you offering smaller sizes of 40% or numpad options?

Online Amnesia

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 22:26:59 »
Anyone got a tada68 plate design lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 01:15:14 »

I could make one. If youre the same one from Slack, PM there or here is fine. I'll make you one.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 04:27:37 »
Are you offering smaller sizes of 40% or numpad options?

Custom are accepted, so yeah 40% and numpad too, just not sure how to price them. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 November 2017, 04:29:28 by KaosJ »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 04:28:38 »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If TristinDLC don't do it first, i saw some guys on discord already having that file. 
Let me know in case so i can put it in the directory of the files. 

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 10:18:31 »

I could make one. If youre the same one from Slack, PM there or here is fine. I'll make you one.

I already made several tada plates last year when I was doing a few Tada69 conversions

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 11:17:29 »

I already made several tada plates last year when I was doing a few Tada69 conversions

Show Image

hey bud, mind to share the file with me too :)   

There will be (probably) a "tested" directory  that will include the two base 60 keebs cutted and pre-tested by me. 
But there will be also a "custom" directory  where i will put some designs not-tested by me (files made by me or other people) so if people want can use these or start their .dxf from these files
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 November 2017, 11:22:19 by KaosJ »

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 15:35:42 »

Show Image

There will be (probably) a "tested" directory  that will include the two base 60 keebs cutted and pre-tested by me. 
But there will be also a "custom" directory  where i will put some designs not-tested by me (files made by me or other people) so if people want can use these or start their .dxf from these files

Pretty sure we were already talking about yesterday in the MKUK Discord but sure I'll shoot some files when I get to my home PC

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 15:52:49 »

Show Image

Pretty sure we were already talking about yesterday in the MKUK Discord but sure I'll shoot some files when I get to my home PC

Yeah thanks mate  :thumb: